• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

‼️ UPDATE FORD E-RAPTOR grille swap and install tutorial

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
So here I got a little “creative”. I’m sure there are better ways to mount it, I Figured that it’s not going to need to be removed so i busted out the good ol hot glue gun. After ensuring the angle was on point. I marked the location and angle of the housing and applied a ring of glue around the housing and the grille With very good results. I then mounted the camera and popped in the new spray jet and went for the test fit. Everything worked! Hooray! Time for a Beer! Then back to wiring the LED lights.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For the wiring, The kit comes with waterproof connectors and a lead with a simple positive and ground wire. I actually followed then tutorial elsewhere on this forum on installing the lit ford emblem. Very straightforward. Only problem i ran into is that the pigtail is a tad too short to reach the fuse panel on the passenger side of the truck and about 2 feet of extension was added. I grounded to the bolt on the fender near the fuse panel and used a simple fuse tap to space 22 on the fuse panel and recommended on the other thread. Buttoned everything up and your in the E-Raptor club!

I have noticed that the LEDs don’t light up with the light bar but when the truck is started. I might toy around with a different fuse to get everything to light at the same time. For now, im happy.

Hope this helps anyone who is interested.

CHEERS!

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
.......... Trophy husband
Great write up, thanks for posting about the pitfalls you encountered and resolved.

Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Great writeup, but the hot glue maybe an issue with heat. I'd recommend a 2 part epoxy with mating surfaces sanded with 80 grit sandpaper. There are also specific ABS glues too as options, I fixed lots of plastic mounts on motorcycle with JB Weld plastic weld glue.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great writeup, but the hot glue maybe an issue with heat. I'd recommend a 2 part epoxy with mating surfaces sanded with 80 grit sandpaper. There are also specific ABS glues too as options, I fixed lots of plastic mounts on motorcycle with JB Weld plastic weld glue.
Love to
Hear more opinions! Thanks for the tips, I may attempt a more permeant solution

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ford F-150 Lightning ‼️ UPDATE FORD E-RAPTOR grille swap and install tutorial PXL_20240108_000819715
Ford F-150 Lightning ‼️ UPDATE FORD E-RAPTOR grille swap and install tutorial PXL_20240108_000756258

Camera lined up decently but not perfect, gotta wait for sunny warm weather to hit my glue work with matte black but otherwise pretty pleased with it. :)

EDIT: Also going to completely black out the stupid white light bar, I hate it and tried to 'smoke' it with smoke plastidip back when it was warmer, but it's super uneven and pisses me off. Gotta wait for better weather but have matte black plasti-dip to fix it. Reminds me of the plastic the light cover in a refrigerator is made from lol.

Happy Sunday everyone :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
PXL_20240108_000819715.jpg
PXL_20240108_000756258.jpg

Camera lined up decently but not perfect, gotta wait for sunny warm weather to hit my glue work with matte black but otherwise pretty pleased with it. :)

EDIT: Also going to completely black out the stupid white light bar, I hate it and tried to 'smoke' it with smoke plastidip back when it was warmer, but it's super uneven and pisses me off. Gotta wait for better weather but have matte black plasti-dip to fix it. Reminds me of the plastic the light cover in a refrigerator is made from lol.

That looks really good. I agree about the "milk carton" light bar. Worst feature of the truck. Makes it look really cheap.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PXL_20240108_000819715.jpg
PXL_20240108_000756258.jpg

Looks awesome with that color paint and the tint! How did ya do with the camera Install? Any tips doing it that I missed? 🤙🏼

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Looks awesome with that color paint and the tint! How did ya do with the camera Install? Any tips doing it that I missed? 🤙🏼
Because we kind of ordered in parallel and I did so before I saw your parts selection, I ordered a slightly different camera bracket than yours, and no rear camera support. I just used hot glue to hold the camera in place (partly in case the aim was way off so I could melt it loose again) and stacked the 3 rubber o rings to keep the camera from popping out the front of the bracket, and I ended up really having to cut up the bracket. When I was done cutting pieces off, it was pretty much just the cup shaped piece that holds the camera and sprayer. Your tutorial is great if folks order the same parts as yours, mine was a little different but I do love how it turned out. I used hot glue to 'seal' around it and painted it with the black I had on hand which was not the matte I will do when it warms up, but better than visible clear glue. Anyway thanks again for doing it first!

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Because we kind of ordered in parallel and I did so before I saw your parts selection, I ordered a slightly different camera bracket than yours, and no rear camera support. I just used hot glue to hold the camera in place (partly in case the aim was way off so I could melt it loose again) and stacked the 3 rubber o rings to keep the camera from popping out the front of the bracket, and I ended up really having to cut up the bracket. When I was done cutting pieces off, it was pretty much just the cup shaped piece that holds the camera and sprayer. Your tutorial is great if folks order the same parts as yours, mine was a little different but I do love how it turned out. I used hot glue to 'seal' around it and painted it with the black I had on hand which was not the matte I will do when it warms up, but better than visible clear glue. Anyway thanks again for doing it first!
Nice. I love when a little DIY works out! I agree. Most of the main mount was shaved away for me too. But it held the camera and sprayer which was critical. I’ll have to do some tweaks based off of your work to make it a little better!

Lolat

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2023 Volvo PHEV, 2000 Mercedes SL
Occupation
Retired
Yours looks awesome. I didn’t consider and just painted mine. I’ll stick with it for a while. Maybe later once you post all parts needed.

Ford F-150 Lightning ‼️ UPDATE FORD E-RAPTOR grille swap and install tutorial IMG_4973
Sponsored