1.4 kwh/mi on interstate…disappointed.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
You are pushing a huge brick through the air, and you are essentially at sea level. The loss in inefficiency would be the same for an ICE F150. There are many, many threads discussing this issue.
Yes aerodynamics kicks in as the killer with speed - so ICE estimates:
-----
Fuel efficiency typically decreases as a vehicle's speed increases, and the amount of fuel lost per mile per hour varies by vehicle and driving speed:

40–50 mph: The optimal cruising speed for most vehicles
50–60 mph: Fuel economy decreases by an average of 12.4%
60–70 mph: Fuel economy decreases by an average of 14%
70–80 mph: Fuel economy decreases by an average of 15.4%
55 mph: Midsize conventional gasoline cars achieve their best fuel economy at this speed
Over 55 mph: Drivers typically lose 1–2% of their fuel efficiency for each mile per hour they drive over this speed
85 mph: Driving at this speed uses 40% more fuel than at 70 mph

Other factors that can impact fuel efficiency include:
Aggressive acceleration: Can directly lower fuel efficiency
Harsh braking: Can directly lower fuel efficiency
Excessive idling: Can directly lower fuel efficiency
Vehicle age: As a vehicle ages, it can lose efficiency due to wear and tear and fuel injector deposits
-----
FOR EV's:

Electric vehicles (EVs) become less efficient at higher speeds:

Drag: The force a vehicle encounters when moving through air increases with the square of the vehicle's speed. This means that doubling the speed of an EV quadruples the drag force.

Energy consumption: The faster an EV goes, the more energy it consumes. For example, one driver found that their Chevrolet Bolt EV's efficiency dropped from 6 miles/kWh to 4 miles/kWh when they drove faster.

Range: Driving at higher speeds can result in a significant loss of range. For example, one driver reported that their 2017 Chevy Volt only had a range of about 44 miles at 75 miles per hour, compared to its rated range of 53 miles per charge.

Other factors that can affect an EV's efficiency include:

Wind: Headwinds increase resistance, which means the motor has to work harder.
Payload: The more passengers and cargo in the vehicle, the less efficient it will be.
Tire traction: Poor tire traction can result in less efficiency.
Temperature: The temperature can affect how much energy an EV uses. For example, in January 2021, the Tesla Model 3 used 358 watt-hours to cover each mile, but in August 2020, it used 256 watt-hours per mile.

To increase an EV's battery range, it's best to drive more slowly, especially when possible.
-----

The above were presented to me by Generative AI...but they seem pretty accurate.
Sponsored

NCevGuyF150

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford lightning
Occupation
Repair technician
Had my lightning for just about 10 days and while I love it so far, I was pretty disappointed with this efficiency. Of those 49 miles, 36 or so were on the interstate, setting cruise to 79 mph. All flat on I-95 in Coastal Georgia. The first 13 or so miles were from my house to interstate, and up to that point it had gotten about 2 to 2.1 on those 13 miles (cityish driving). Outside temp hovered between 65-70 as sun was coming up.

Is this what I should expect for interstate driving at that speed? It was close to 30% of the battery. Will it take a while to “break in”? I’ve got about 750 miles on the truck. At this point I might just as well put 37” mud tires on it 😂

IMG_5155.jpeg
Good morning, just reading your post. That is rather disappointing however, I drove my 22 F150 lightning extended range to Miami and back to Charlotte, approximately 1800 miles. I averaged about 2.1. But I drove between 65 and 70 mph the whole trip. You may want to have the Ford dealer check your truck. That seems a little bit low however there is a significant amount of air at 80 mph.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
I think you'll be surprised by how much tire pressure plays a role in your efficiency. I believe most of the factory tires call for 36psi. I typically run mine closer to 40.
I run mine at 42psi based on cold tires. That’s the sweet spot I’ve found personally. It’s also the recommended pressure for my truck.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
"The Factory calls for" depends on your wheel/tire configuration. Some are 36 pounds. Mine are 42 pounds.

When I picked up the truck in Missouri to drive it home, I told them that FordPass showed the tires at 35PSI, so they needed to increase them to 42. They stared at me, and the sales manager said "we always do the new car checklist and it tells them to check the doorjamb". We went out to the truck, opened the door, and saw the 42 pounds. He then took out his tire gauge (nevermind that FordPass showed 35psi) and said "I'll be damned" and drove the car over and filled all 4 tires himself.
Sponsored