Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
[local dealer] Ford Service Advisor:“What’s your truck here for today?”

Me: 20,000mi service.

“It needs an oil change, too.”

Me: Nope.

“At 20,000mi we’re supposed to change oil.”

Me: I’ll bet you $100 it doesn’t need an oil change.

“Have you ever changed it?”

Me: Nope. Never.

(worst part is, I had made an appointment, and the Lightning was in their system)
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I hope you have other options.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Back to EV boot camp for this SA

OP
OP
Ventorum94

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I hope you have other options.
Well, from a Ford dealer’s Service Department’s perspective, we’re kind of a nuisance. At this small dealership, only a couple of technicians are EV-certified; and those are the best two they have, which means they’re in high demand on ICE vehicle repairs that produce more revenue. And the “Model E” Dealer fiasco has left a lot of them wishing Ford had never thought of building EVs. The politics surrounding EV mandates gets projected onto our vehicles, and even the Service Advisors give the impression that they wish you’d take your EV and- well, you know. I doubt many Lightning customers bought their trucks to save the planet. I certainly did not.
Fortunately, I’ve had 20k relatively trouble-free miles; biggest complaint for the first year was lack of OTA software updates (the prized but elusive numeric SOC in the instrument cluster, for example), but finally, beginning with the Tesla SC access update, they‘ve been regular and even beneficial (sometimes).
Despite early-adopter first-world problems, my Lightning is a keeper, the best truck I’ve ever owned, and the most comfortable vehicle of any kind that I’ve ever owned.

Sponsored

jamelski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lariat
Should have told him to make sure blinker fluid was replaced per service manual.

also, not sure why anyone takes their EV in for service till 100k plus.

if you can’t change a cabin filter shame on you. That all you need for 100k miles, I know a lot of you all rotate tires. I haven’t done it in 30 years of driving and my tires last 40-50k. Unless you need an alignment and I see any type of uneven where I don’t go to the dealer unless I have to.
Best thing that has happened with EV is not going to the dealer for “services” at set stupid intervals.

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
Service intervals at this point are more about catching up on CSPs/recalls.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Should have told him to make sure blinker fluid was replaced per service manual.

if you can’t change a cabin filter shame on you. That all you need for 100k miles, I know a lot of you all rotate tires. I haven’t done it in 30 years of driving and my tires last 40-50k. Unless you need an alignment and I see any type of uneven where I don’t go to the dealer unless I have to.
Best thing that has happened with EV is not going to the dealer for “services” at set stupid intervals.
Lol, I like the idea of asking about the blinker fluid.

Fair point on the rest, but I don't throwing them a bone. My dealer tries to schedule a loaner when needed and has been pretty good about hooking me up when a problem arises. I've taken in for driver lumbar, passenger side window (twice), bed camera, brake squeal (turned out to be a magic rock), all CSP module updates, taillight recall, front lightbar alignment, and they even pushed a single non-required update for me to try and get my OTA's going again (which they have!). So giving them $15 to do a quick inspection and rotate tires once a year ain't that bad to keep the positive vibes going.

OP
OP
Ventorum94

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

I’m right there with you, but I’m paranoid about skipping a recommended service by a Ford dealer, and then having some warranty dispute over a problem their inspection “would have found.” Better to have documented service at a Ford dealer on this revolutionary new vehicle, even if it means paying $165 for a cabin air filter and wiper blades (oh, and tire rotation!).
Sponsored