• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2021 F-150 Kicker subwoofer VLM3Z-18808-A install

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
Did you ever get this finished up? Was the upgrade worth it? Did you have the Unleashed system or Non-Unleashed

djcwardog

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 XL
Here’s a top view. I had already got the 4x7mm bolts out to pull off that securing bracket. I was about to use my deep well 7mm socket to get the pair of bolts off from each side of the ACM. From putting my hands along the back, I wonder if the gray plug can be depressed and slid out WITHOUT having to actually remove the ACM?

Ford F-150 Lightning 2021 F-150 Kicker subwoofer VLM3Z-18808-A install 5E9F91B7-A0B4-402D-970A-72882493AEFC

OP
OP

Jeffgmc

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt
Did you ever get this finished up? Was the upgrade worth it? Did you have the Unleashed system or Non-Unleashed
Yes I installed the subwoofer. It only works with the stock system (no B&O). The dealer programmed it. It’s ok but I think you would be better off with something else. I had the same Kicker Sound stage sub and amp in my Silverado and it was 1000 times better.

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
That’s for the update, that’s what I am hearing about that speaker from other places too. I may just have to be satisfied with the bass it has for now.

Sponsored

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Yes I installed the subwoofer. It only works with the stock system (no B&O). The dealer programmed it. It’s ok but I think you would be better off with something else. I had the same Kicker Sound stage sub and amp in my Silverado and it was 1000 times better.
It may be from a factory EQ setting already in the F150, that has bass rolloff. The GM probably didn't have it, or as bad. Wonder if you flattened the curve into the amp, it would bring back the deeper, richer bass.?

OP
OP

Jeffgmc

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt
It may be from a factory EQ setting already in the F150, that has bass rolloff. The GM probably didn't have it, or as bad. Wonder if you flattened the curve into the amp, it would bring back the deeper, richer bass.?
I’ve tried adjusting all the tone settings and I’ve adjusted the EQ on the Spotify app which helped. I just don’t think the Subwoofer is very good. The Kicker Powerstage set up I had in my 2013 Silverado had a amp processor that went under the dash and the amp that was on the subwoofer itself. That system was pretty impressive and that’s why I purchased this one. This one is better than stock but I’m not impressed at all. It’s pretty sad how bad the stock stereo is especially with all the advancements in products and processing these days

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Yes, but it may not be the amp/sub. It may be the limited signal freq sent to the wire. Which many manufactures now add "limiters" like sped, that will keep low bass out of systems to keep form blowing factory speakers. The louder you go, the deeper the bass, the less you get.
So taking that factory EQ out, flatten a full signal you can then boost it up.

Yes, your talking the full powered 4.1 system for the Silverado. front 4.1 amp that was DSP setup for your Silverado and factory speakers, then added a 200w 10" sub.
I had one in my 2015 Ram 1500 for awhile.
But each manufacture sets different parameters. Which the factory upgrade will not interfere what they've done, as its an OEM compliant upgrade, back by Ram/Ford/ Chevy, but we cant make adjustments
But you as a consumer can :)

Im just curious if you used a Kicker KEYLOCK, it would flatten the EQ curve, and brng deeper bass in.

OP
OP

Jeffgmc

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt
Yes, but it may not be the amp/sub. It may be the limited signal freq sent to the wire. Which many manufactures now add "limiters" like sped, that will keep low bass out of systems to keep form blowing factory speakers. The louder you go, the deeper the bass, the less you get.
So taking that factory EQ out, flatten a full signal you can then boost it up.

Yes, your talking the full powered 4.1 system for the Silverado. front 4.1 amp that was DSP setup for your Silverado and factory speakers, then added a 200w 10" sub.
I had one in my 2015 Ram 1500 for awhile.
But each manufacture sets different parameters. Which the factory upgrade will not interfere what they've done, as its an OEM compliant upgrade, back by Ram/Ford/ Chevy, but we cant make adjustments
But you as a consumer can :)

Im just curious if you used a Kicker KEYLOCK, it would flatten the EQ curve, and brng deeper bass in.
Not sure what the Keylock is, Does it work with the factory stereo?

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
works with any, it will take out the factory "limiters" on the EQ

OP
OP

Jeffgmc

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt
works with any, it will take out the factory "limiters" on the EQ
Oh ok. Looks like you have to hook it in to a amp with a RCA plug. The Ford kicker doesn’t have RCA plugs. Maybe I’ll do something different down the road.
Sponsored