• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper?

BuzzLightning

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 Lightning Pro
Hey there,

Has anyone added or considered adding grill mesh ahead of the active shutters in the lower front bumper? Less than 200 miles I already have a small dent in the radiator. I'm thinking grill mesh (nothing too fine) may help deflect/slow down road debris without hurting cooling capacity. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? 20220913_075510
Sponsored

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
Someone posted a link to this expanded aluminum that's covered with a black rubbery coating in another thread, so I grabbed some. Then I grabbed some of this tile trim.

I measured the top and bottom opening and then cut the expanded aluminum to match. Then I pushed it in the hole from the bottom and began cutting the corners to fit. I kept guessing and checking until it fit right. Then I cut the tile trim to length with an angle grinder and then used my belt sander to curve the corners of the bottom piece. I bolted the expanded aluminum to the tile trim pieces on the top and bottom using stainless steel bolts, washers, and nylon lock nuts. I wanted this support on the top and bottom because I didn't want it to be able to be pushed back into the shutters in any way. Then I drilled two holes on the lip of plastic on the left and right hand sides. I used these holes to zip tie the rock guard into place. I had originally intended to bolt it, but there is no access to the backside once the screen is in place. So I couldn't get a wrench back there to hold the nut.

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? PXL_20230506_175544092

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? PXL_20230506_181038475

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? PXL_20230506_175556755

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? PXL_20230506_182307864

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? PXL_20230506_182304151

O’Majestic1’slightnigF150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
I asked about this in another post this week to someone with 50k miles on gravel. The response wan no problem with the cooler fins or paint. I have a ‘99 F350 ranch truck, 200k miles with a similar located coolant radiator. Ranch truck means it’s on roads that are 2 wheel tracks sometimes with small brush, grasses, weeds… growing up between the tracks. The ‘99 has a few dings n dents but overall it’s amazing for the years n miles how well it looks. I’m not going to worry about the Lightning or Mach E.

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
I asked about this in another post this week to someone with 50k miles on gravel. The response wan no problem with the cooler fins or paint. I have a ‘99 F350 ranch truck, 200k miles with a similar located coolant radiator. Ranch truck means it’s on roads that are 2 wheel tracks sometimes with small brush, grasses, weeds… growing up between the tracks. The ‘99 has a few dings n dents but overall it’s amazing for the years n miles how well it looks. I’m not going to worry about the Lightning or Mach E.
I've known people with an intercooler in the same place for a turbo or supercharger who have had a rock hit exactly on the tube between the fins and develop pinhole leak that causes it to slowly lose coolant from the coolant loop. The entire intercooler had to be replaced because they don't spot weld that stuff closed. Most people just end up with bent cooling fins that reduce the airflow through the intercooler and thus reduce the cooling efficiency of it. a few dents are negligeable. However I imagine that one that's totally smashed up after a few 100k miles will have a noticeable reduction in its efficacy. So I consider this a cheap long term investment that also prevents an expensive repair that admittedly has a very low chance of occurring.

Sponsored

butterfb

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Senior Support Engineer
I just did this after watching the previous shown video. I bought a large mesh piece for $20, cut it out, and installed it same way they note with zip ties, I like the look.

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? 20240113_132739

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have to say that I still look at the truck and this is one of the best and most subtle mods I've done. That huge hole in the bumper just looks so much better with this mesh on it.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I just did a search and found your post. I came across this little fella the other day and am taking a chance on it. Mostly for aesthetics, but also some level of protection against an errant rock or debris. Otherwise it's just a big, gaping maw on the front of the truck.

Should be here this week:

https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/product-page/2022-2023-ford-lightning-ev-radiator-grilles

The install video is a bit.....hokey but it does the job:

I just ordered one.

Thanks!

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored