• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper?

umbrop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
I’m currently working with a company on a prototype . Happy to share their info shortly if you don’t want to do the cutting yourself.

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? FC237F0B-42F4-43C8-AF38-4703F379B561

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? IMG_1260

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? IMG_1261
Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
To those of you who have had this installed for a while: how do you like it? Has it held up? Does it rattle?

Storm Breaker

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
truck driver
To those of you who have had this installed for a while: how do you like it? Has it held up? Does it rattle?

i've had the one from post #2 for about a year. no noise, never moved, still looks good and keeps out the rocks and leaves.

subseavet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
Occupation
R&D Engineer
I just ordered one.

Thanks!
I just ordered one as well. I could take the time to make my own mesh, but really like the heavy plastic that comes from the RGS. It is crazy expensive, but worth it to protect my Lightning.

Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I have the screen cut to fit but can't figure out where to tie rap it down.
Can anyone tell me how to secure the screen?

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I used medium-sized nylon zip ties through the same holes the bumper trim moulding clips go. The metal clips just compressed the nylon zip ties and hold securely.

K-Loader

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Edge ST, 2023 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Fed
I just found a very large bird nest behind the shutters! I noticed some sticks protruding out of the grill found the whole right side completely stuffed with the nest. I took me 20 minutes with a shop-vac and some long thin attachments to pull it all out. I'm going to install some mesh asap.

I have don't think the nest had been there too long. I would have noticed it the last time I washed the truck, which was about two weeks ago, about five days before I left it in airport parking garage for a week. I know I would have made the 120-mile round trip to the airport with the nest and I'm wondering if it interfered with or damage the operation of the shutters. Anyone know on how I could verify the operation is still OK? When do the shutters open and close?

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? IMG_8931s1500

Last edited:

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
I used medium-sized nylon zip ties through the same holes the bumper trim moulding clips go. The metal clips just compressed the nylon zip ties and hold securely.
So you take the clips off and insert the ties in the hole,
Then put the clips back over the ties?

Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When you pop the trim off, the clips stay with the trim piece you pull off. I put the ties in so they sit in the corners of the holes. When I put the trim piece back on, it takes a quick pop to get the clips to engage, but they've stayed in after about 70 miles on rough, washboard dirt road and >200 miles on highway.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
When you pop the trim off, the clips stay with the trim piece you pull off. I put the ties in so they sit in the corners of the holes. When I put the trim piece back on, it takes a quick pop to get the clips to engage, but they've stayed in after about 70 miles on rough, washboard dirt road and >200 miles on highway.
Thanks I got it for today.
Looks good except I couldn't tuck 2 of the tie wraps so you can see them if you look close.
They need to go into different holes in the mesh to line up better with the tabs.
Also I was charging and installing and Everytime the trucks fan came on the shutters opened, I e never seen them move before.

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? 20240602_185351

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? 20240602_185327

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? 20240602_185406

butterfb

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Senior Support Engineer
The zip ties just slide through holes or open areas of the clips

vic7780

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Future) F-150 Lighting
Occupation
Citizen
I’m currently working with a company on a prototype . Happy to share their info shortly if you don’t want to do the cutting yourself.

FC237F0B-42F4-43C8-AF38-4703F379B561.jpeg

IMG_1260.jpeg

IMG_1261.jpeg
Send the contact info when you can/when available

umbrop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
I worked with Matt at customcargrills.com. I’ve been driving around with it for a few weeks now and no issues at all. I also like the fact that it’s metal instead of plastic, but you can go that route as well. The rubber trim around the ends also helps prevent scratching when you’re installing and gives it a nice tight fit when complete.

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? IMG_1308
Sponsored