• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Adding Lane Centering without ACC possible?

Nftypjs

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f-150 lightning pro
I have a 2023 Pro with tow packages. Have successfully changed various things using forscan (doorpad install, bed light install, anti-glare headlights, rain sensor install). The truck already has the active lane keep assist function (corrects after it crosses the lines). I know that the Lane Centering feature is turned on when you add the Adaptive Cruise Control module/harness/forscan updates, but I'm curious if some of those forscan updates necessary for the ACC install are specific to the LC, and can be done to add LC without the full addition of the ACC system. It's my understanding that the forward facing hardware that's presently used for LKA is the same as what's used for LC. If anyone can look into this more I'd be happy to compare forscan info on the differences between models, etc. Or if anyone has knowledge of what it's called in the menus of forscan so that I can experiment on changing parameters to hopefully get the LC option to pop up on SYNC at least. Much appreciated in advance.
Sponsored

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
It’s not possible. ACC is needed for Lane Centering.

Last edited:

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Sorry meant lane centering. I edited the post above.

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you play around with the settings you can change it from vibrate only to auto steer back into the lane.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
These are two different functions, and use two different 'methods' to accomplish the end goal. I wish it were as easy as you suggest, although then Ford would just have it programmed in already. The RADAR unit is required.

I will say, also, that this is not just a 'Ford' thing - it is most every manufacturer. They have one expense to add LKA(Lane Keeping Assist - Audible Alert or Steering) to manage a safer drive if drifting near/over lines, and ANOTHER expense, equipment, to add LC(Lane Centering) to 'keep' the vehicle within the lines.

My wife's new KIA EV9, and even her previous Sorento PHEV, has BOTH, and they are INDEPENDENT of each other. One thing, though, their systems allow you to have LC active even WITHOUT Cruise Control on, while it seems Ford's LC is only active when in Cruise. Correct me if I'm wrong... on my PRO's 'added' AC/LC, it only provides LC when in Cruise.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
If you play around with the settings you can change it from vibrate only to auto steer back into the lane.
You’re referring to “Lane Keeping,” not “Lane Centering.” The former is the basic older technology, that vibrates if you drift, and can be set to intervene to keep you in your lane (hence Lane “Keeping”), but the result is ping-ponging from left to right within your lane; all Lightnings have it, regardless of trim level. Lane “Centering” is the upgraded capability, and works as well as Tesla Autosteer (part of basic Tesla Autopilot). Lane Centering is perhaps best described as “Blue Cruise that isn’t handsfree.” It requires ACC, and is only offered by Ford on Lightning XLT 312A package, Flash, Lariat, and Platinum, not Pro or base XLT.

Mach Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2024 XLT
Occupation
Bum
Found this thread while looking for answers to the question, "Why is the lane keeping on my new 2024 XLT almost completely (and dangerously) useless when our 2021 Mach-E's lane keeping works well?" I think I've fallen prey to poorly calibrated expectations.

When the lane keeping button of the XLT is pressed, the display says "Lane keeping system on", but the truck will happily drift off a well marked road without so much as a chirp...then after a few seconds, assuming I haven't allowed the truck to run into a tree, it tells me I might be too tired and need a break. This suggests it knows we've gone out of our lane but not bothered to say or do anything about it! Sometimes on a straight bit of road it works OK to apply corrections, perhaps to lull the driver into a false sense of security?

BTW, this is with lane keeping assist and warning enabled in the menus.

From previous posts, it seems that the XLT without ACC has a stripped down version of lane keeping. Not sure why they bother with it, really, as it seemingly can't be relied on in even a slight curve...and I'm not going to trust it on any road as it is.

If I find a great deal on an ML3Z-9E731-G RADAR for ACC, it might be a good experiment to install it, do the ForScan hacks, and see how much changes. Thanks to all you previous posters for making the distinction between "assist" and "centering" much more clear than the manual does.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
Found this thread while looking for answers to the question, "Why is the lane keeping on my new 2024 XLT almost completely (and dangerously) useless when our 2021 Mach-E's lane keeping works well?" I think I've fallen prey to poorly calibrated expectations.

When the lane keeping button of the XLT is pressed, the display says "Lane keeping system on", but the truck will happily drift off a well marked road without so much as a chirp...then after a few seconds, assuming I haven't allowed the truck to run into a tree, it tells me I might be too tired and need a break. This suggests it knows we've gone out of our lane but not bothered to say or do anything about it! Sometimes on a straight bit of road it works OK to apply corrections, perhaps to lull the driver into a false sense of security?

BTW, this is with lane keeping assist and warning enabled in the menus.

From previous posts, it seems that the XLT without ACC has a stripped down version of lane keeping. Not sure why they bother with it, really, as it seemingly can't be relied on in even a slight curve...and I'm not going to trust it on any road as it is.

If I find a great deal on an ML3Z-9E731-G RADAR for ACC, it might be a good experiment to install it, do the ForScan hacks, and see how much changes. Thanks to all you previous posters for making the distinction between "assist" and "centering" much more clear than the manual does.
Lane keeping is not an active system, it is designed to alert you if you go outside the lane. My 2023 pro both shakes the steering wheel and slightly bumps the wheel.

That is NOT the same as an active layer CENTERING system, which might be what you Mach-E has. The Lake Keep system in the lightning does absolutely nothing unless the vehicle leaves the lane. The Lane Centering system actively controls the steering wheel to keep the vehicle roughly centered in the middle of the Lane.

They are nowhere near the same systems. It's best to think of "lane keeping" as more of a lane departure warning than any active drivers aid