• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any negatives to the extendable Tow Mirrors?

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Agate Black Platinum 4X4 Powerboost
Occupation
Very retired
Between proper adjustment and blis I have no blind spots with the stock mirrors. In fact you can see around the truck better with the stock mirrors because they block less actual view looking a little left and right through the side glass. The other reason I didn't get them? They are butt ugly and big.
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
If I was towing enough to really need tow mirrors, I wouldn't buy an F150. There would be an F250 in my driveway.

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I had power folding tow mirrors in the 2017 Silverado 1500 I had before my F150. I really liked them. I'd say that they really didn't get in the way much. For the rare narrow drive-through and every automatic car wash, having the power-fold option was really helpful.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
Found a truck that is optioned very close to what I am looking for except it has the larger Tow mirrors - I understand the advantage related to towing, but assuming I will tow rarely (could always change) are there any disadvantages to these mirrors?
Well I have decided on the truck with standard mirrors. I drove the truck with the trailer mirrors and while I did find them very useful for backing up and viewing lanes behind me I found that at corners the mirrors were in my vision often (might get used to this?) and my garage doors are slightly less than 9' - the mirrors would just rub the weather strips if perfectly centered with entering. The XLT has manual fold mirrors and this just seems to be something I will quickly find very annoying.

Also note that I rarely pull trailers (maybe 20 times total through life of the 10 F150/250 I have owned)

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Well I have decided on the truck with standard mirrors. I drove the truck with the trailer mirrors and while I did find them very useful for backing up and viewing lanes behind me I found that at corners the mirrors were in my vision often (might get used to this?) and my garage doors are slightly less than 9' - the mirrors would just rub the weather strips if perfectly centered with entering. The XLT has manual fold mirrors and this just seems to be something I will quickly find very annoying.

Also note that I rarely pull trailers (maybe 20 times total through life of the 10 F150/250 I have owned)
Good decision! If on XL/XLT, having to walk out to fold the mirror to get into a garage would be a nightmare!

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
The tow mirrors make your vehicle look like a real truck!! The car mirrors, well if I want car mirrors I world buy a car.
Ha, you hit it on the head! The F150 isn't a real truck anymore. It's a people hauler with a tiny bed attached (short wheelbase #1 seller). So you are saying big mirrors are needed to make it a poser truck. ;)
I buy the F150 as a people mover/luxury car that has a small bed for Lowe's/Home Depot runs. I compare it more like an El Camino of the 70's than the F100 real pickups back then. If I need a "real truck" I buy a Super Duty and not an F150. I don't try to make it more than it is. I pull or pulled all these without "tow mirrors" and not for 50 miles. These got pulled between Florida and Michigan.
Ford F-150 Lightning Any negatives to the extendable Tow Mirrors? IMG_20160804_085443999_HDR
Ford F-150 Lightning Any negatives to the extendable Tow Mirrors? 20190309_071552
Ford F-150 Lightning Any negatives to the extendable Tow Mirrors? 20200609_112254~3

Sponsored

Griego

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Fx4
Found a truck that is optioned very close to what I am looking for except it has the larger Tow mirrors - I understand the advantage related to towing, but assuming I will tow rarely (could always change) are there any disadvantages to these mirrors?
Rich - I will trade you my mirrors for your tow mirrors. I'm even willing to drive out to KS and do the swap.

OP
OP

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
Rich - I will trade you my mirrors for your tow mirrors. I'm even willing to drive out to KS and do the swap.
hmm - at this point I working on closing the deal on the truck w/o the mirrors - if that falls through and I go back to the 2nd dealer and the truck with the tow mirrors - I'll discuss this further with you.

Donnelly713

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I have same concerns. getting an XLT and dont want to deal with manual passenger folding/telescoping if driving solo.

I also noticed visibility issues with left turns in intersections that I too wondered if people just get use to- on the short test drive versus standard it was enough to turn me away...

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
I have same concerns. getting an XLT and dont want to deal with manual passenger folding/telescoping if driving solo.

I also noticed visibility issues with left turns in intersections that I too wondered if people just get use to- on the short test drive versus standard it was enough to turn me away...
Even though some people say they don’t have a problem with the tow mirrors, there will always be blind spot areas behind the large mirrors in certain situations, in my opinion.

Fathardtail

First Name
Melinda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I'm leaning towards ordering versus dealer stock so I can get the tow mirrors :)
That’s what I did, and I loved the interior on the Limited, but they won’t let you order the tow mirrors on that trim!
Sponsored