First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 and Bronco
Occupation
Sales
I just got news from my dealership that my Lightning has arrived. Lariat White Metallic with all the options and extended Range. 90k MSRP. Should I buy it and flip it or should I just let the dealer have it. I know when I received a Bronco last year you could buy it and then sell it for 20K+ over MSRP. Not sure if the Lightning or the market works to do this? Any help appreciated Thank you.
Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Not going for over MSRP. Some dealerships are still delusional thinking they can add mark-ups, and some will get it if the right customer walks in. But we're talking like a $5K mark-up. By the time you buy the truck, plus fees, plus pay tax on the purchase, you'll be lucky to break even on reselling it. A few Lightnings early on could be sold for a premium, but that ship seems to have sailed with the slowing of the economy/car market, Ford already doing a ridiculous price hike and they're really starting to crank these out.

Not really any Lightnings popping up on the auction sites. No money to be made by flipping, as the few that do appear on those sites go for under MSRP. Most people who buy them are happy to keep them.

OP
OP

Lak34ers

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 and Bronco
Occupation
Sales
Not going for over MSRP. Some dealerships are still delusional thinking they can add mark-ups, and some will get it if the right customer walks in. But we're talking like a $5K mark-up. By the time you buy the truck, plus fees, plus pay tax on the purchase, you'll be lucky to break even on reselling it. A few Lightnings early on could be sold for a premium, but that ship seems to have sailed with the slowing of the economy/car market, Ford already doing a ridiculous price hike and they're really starting to crank these out.

Not really any Lightnings popping up on the auction sites. No money to be made by flipping, as the few that do appear on those sites go for under MSRP. Most people who buy them are happy to keep them.
Thank you I really appreciate it. I purchased a 2015 F150 which I really enjoy still for 38k MSRP back in the day and a 2021 4 door Bronco for 48K last year. I just can't see purchasing a 90k F150 Lariat. The price markup is too much and we are not heading into a positive outlook on the future economy situation.

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor

Agree
You can’t flip anymore

you will see ADM on dealer websites but now that’s just a buffer so people think MSRP is a good deal.
You won’t be able to take delivery/ pay tax then turn around and flip. If you don’t want it the dealership will mark it up for sure but take MSRP.
Also it doesn’t help $90k+ trucks don’t come with heated steering wheels / messaging seats/onboard scales right now.

OP
OP

Lak34ers

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 and Bronco
Occupation
Sales
Agree
You can’t flip anymore

you will see ADM on dealer websites but now that’s just a buffer so people think MSRP is a good deal.
You won’t be able to take delivery/ pay tax then turn around and flip. If you don’t want it the dealership will mark it up for sure but take MSRP.
Also it doesn’t help $90k+ trucks don’t come with heated steering wheels / messaging seats/onboard scales right now.
One last question. Do you know if a dealer is allowed to sell it to a friend and have them do the deal and will the dealer keep it at MSRP...or is it up to the dealer?

Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Thank you I really appreciate it. I purchased a 2015 F150 which I really enjoy still for 38k MSRP back in the day and a 2021 4 door Bronco for 48K last year. I just can't see purchasing a 90k F150 Lariat. The price markup is too much and we are not heading into a positive outlook on the future economy situation.
I remember the headline:

Ford CEO Says 70 Percent Of Lightning Customers New To Brand, Trucks

I take that to mean a lot of EV fanboys were enamored by the initial price that Ford announced for an EV. Now that Tesla has dropped their prices, and Ford raised their prices, I think a lot of those fanboys will be looking at Tesla. $90k is a lot for a truck that doesn't have the charging infrastructure that Tesla has.
Just an uneducated observation

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor
One last question. Do you know if a dealer is allowed to sell it to a friend and have them do the deal and will the dealer keep it at MSRP...or is it up to the dealer?
my Guess is it’s up to the dealer. If you’re a repeat or great customer of the dealership I think they would. If This is your first vehicle ordered from this dealer they probably have a list of people who either are waiting to order or are on a contact list when a lightning becomes available and would pull from that list

again tho I think that ship has sailed and at this point the dealership would probably appreciate you bringing someone to them to purchase. My dealership has 3 lightnings for sale and when you look at the window sticker all 3 are green which means they were special ordered and people backed out. The fact they put them for sale on the website for about $7k ADM makes me believe they contacted people on their list and no one wanted to pay that price for a lightning with deleted items.

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
afaik a dealer cannot sell it to anyone other than you, unless the vehicle is declined. Ford was doing some sort of name match, but I am not sure the repercussion of them failing it, but I would expect your dealer to be reluctant to sell it to a friend.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
afaik a dealer cannot sell it to anyone other than you, unless the vehicle is declined. Ford was doing some sort of name match, but I am not sure the repercussion of them failing it, but I would expect your dealer to be reluctant to sell it to a friend.
Not correct. They can, they just have a percentage they can't exceed without penalty. But if customer refuses, they are fine.

Last edited:

Burke Cable Guy

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Painting Contractor
I recently spoke with Carvana regarding an Extended Range 312A XLT to sell. I was told flat out I would loose money if I took delivery and sold the truck to them. Just going to refuse pickup as I expected to wait 18 months after ordering in May 2023. I don't need the truck at this time.
Sponsored