• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Back Charging my lighting using pro-power ports

OP
OP

whatsagrid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
You would have to lay out an entire array facing south all day in order to get 10 kWh into your truck. About 1.5 - 2.5kW worth of panels on a typical day.
I can incorporate 12 panels in my most aggressive design for a max output of 4.8 kw. I’ll start with 3 panels and hope to get 1kw of output in real use. I live in Florida so I have plenty of sun. I could buy a battery and charge the battery and then charge the truck from the battery but Elon isn’t going to get to Mars taking shortcuts. I have a 98 kWh battery so it makes little sense to buy a 3kwh backup system. I just need to figure out how to access it directl……
Sponsored

OP
OP

whatsagrid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
This looks like it would be an EXCELLENT solution for installing solar canopy’s in parking lots. It would be better if it had a payment system integrated. But as for a single use Case either in my truck or in a home application …. I’m not so sure. Yes…I could by pass the inverter and extra battery in my truck and charge direct to solar but the efficiency and price seem to be a wash. If it was cheaper then it would be a nice accessory to pull up to a solar farm and plug in :). The modern version of picking apples from a roadside orchard.

OP
OP

whatsagrid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
You would have to lay out an entire array facing south all day in order to get 10 kWh into your truck. About 1.5 - 2.5kW worth of panels on a typical day.
That is probably accurate but I’m not so worried about the numbers. The numbers will improve. We are a long way from the Commodore 64 and solar and battery technology will take an even steeper growth curve. 10 years ago we all thought tesla was going to fail and now we are on the verge of robo taxis. The important thing is to innovate and find new ways to do things and then let the community figure out how to use the new tools.

OP
OP

whatsagrid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
Considering what your goal is you still need to take in some other factors. You can not go DC to DC, not without being a master electrician, and knowing the existing wiring like you worked on the assembly line. So, what can you realistically do in your garage. Cost is not an object or the purpose. Nor is range extension, which is what most people talk about when they talk about solar tonneau covers. What you're wanting to do is actually pretty feasible with an extra step or two.

Solar to an inverter, used to charge a holding tank battery like an EcoFlow. Then a mobile charger from the EcoFlow to the truck. It kind of sucks because you're inverting power back and forth from DC to AC to DC to AC to DC, and losing some juice each time, but that's going to accomplish your overland/zombie survival scenario.

Now if you want to really get crazy, cut some of that back and forth out, you can probably safely (still going to void warranties, but not die or create a safety issue) go from Solar, to a solar inverter directly to your trucks inverter. This might cause some issues because the truck inverters seem to like a clean and steady power supply, and they aren't going to allow for charging while driving without hacking the trucks computers, but should be more efficient.

IMO option one suits most of your desire with the least complication.
I’m ok with option 1 but I don’t want to plug in the charge controller each time. I want it to be hard wired.

for example. I travel often. I would love to just park my truck at the airport and come back to a full charge every time. No charge cable connected.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Can I charge the battery of my lighting by charging using the bed outlets or frunk outlet? I don’t want to push a lot of power but I would like to install a single solar panel on top of my tonneau cover (approximately 400 watts) and grow from there.

I want to find a way to charge the battery without plugging into the charge port. I can electrify my home with a double male extension cord and a generator with no adverse effect other than potentially killing myself.

If back charging is impossible due to a diode or other safety measures or if there is some reason it wouldn’t work (theoretically) then I would be happy to hear from KNOWLEDGEABLE people on the matter. Also, if i can splice into the charge port some way so that I can hardwire the solar system I would greatly value a schematic, instructions or link to such a device.

This isn’t facebook or X so please limit your comments to facts. You can send me a personal message to tell me how stupid I am if you feel the need.

Thank you.
It's a Lightning not a lighting, unless you want to charge a lamp

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I’m ok with option 1 but I don’t want to plug in the charge controller each time. I want it to be hard wired.

for example. I travel often. I would love to just park my truck at the airport and come back to a full charge every time. No charge cable connected.
Yeah, but I think that's where you're talking hacking or replacing programmed controllers on the truck. You'd need to be a hardware and software expert as well as have the ability to reprogram things on the truck. It's not as simple as making some electronic connections. I don't personally see a way for you to do that in a way that the truck will accept it.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Part of me still wondered if this is a joke/troll.

Once again, no there is no means by which you can hotwire a few solar panels directly into the battery. That is not how anything works. The fact that you use double male extension death cords to backfeed your hose with a generator is very telling. My recommendation is stop trying to kill yourself and other with ridiculous electrical hacks.

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
If I'm understanding you correctly, you'd be OK with an EcoFlow (or similar), then sure, put one in the bed of your truck, then put solar panels on your bed cover connected to the EcoFlow, and it will charge. You can hardwire all of that, no issues, and dont even need to modify the truck (outside of the bed cover). Plug the truck into the ecoflow and bam - it will charge. Not sure about leaving it for any length of time though. the EcoFlow would need to sense when it was low, and stop charging the truck so that it could re-charge itself, then re-start charging the truck. Maybe doable. 🤷‍♂️

This aint happening without a few things that just dont make sense:
1 - depending on your SOC when you leave it at the airport, you better plan to be gone for a long time. Even with the best solar panels out there currently or in development you simply dont have enough real estate on your bed cover. Even if you somehow managed to get 2kw of solar panels on your bed, from a 50% SOC, you'd be looking at months to come back to a full charge.
2 - No charge cable connected doesnt make sense and wouldnt work without hacking the software of the truck. Figuring out where to connect the wires, and drilling holes and cutting things and running the wire and getting a stable, clean connection would be the easy part of this. You're more likely to brick the brains of the truck when you start messing with the software to try and figure out how to make it charge while driving (this isnt something that Ford just chose not to do - they specifically engineered it to not be possible - so you're working to not just add a capability, but to defeat multiple security and safety systems) and I just don't see any benefit in doing this. The risks of wasting a lot of money that could be spent on other things to give you off-grid charging (ie. something like this-> https://beamforall.com/product/ev-arc-2020/ ), and potentially killing yourself or someone else in the process just arent worth it.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
Yeah, I'm trying to figure this out. I'm starting to think someone believes this is like putting a trickle charger on a 12v battery.

If you want to leave your truck at the airport you would still need to deploy a FULL array of solar panels. And at that it would still take THIRTEEN DAYS to fully recharge the truck.

I don't know what kind of freedom you think that is but paying my utility $20 and having my truck charged overnight is a LOT more freeing than deploying a medium sized array of solar panels and letting my truck sit for two weeks. Heck, even just the panels will be over $2000 before ANYTHING else.

Then you have the fact that you just torched the warranty on a $45,000 battery before you consider the inverters, charging circuits, modules, and labor. And thats just so "I don't have to plug something in".

This is not just pushing some electrons around. One, the DC side of things is off the table, you are talking 400 volts and aside from some VERY expensive converters and some custom programming on 400v control circuits you won't even be touching that.
You COULD touch the 120/240v side, but even that isn't "just pushing some AC into the truck". The whole thing is controlled by the external charging unit and you would still have to get into custom programming to match charge curves with panel output, and to interface on the J-1772 interface otherwise the truck won't do anything at all.
Sponsored