• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Bed Rack above Tonneau

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Tonneau research has now exceeded F-150 research ?.

Options are slim for a bed rack system that is compatible with a tonneau cover: ELEVATE claims to be compatible with BAK X4s, MX4, & others, but I reached out to BAK directly and they said no (Truck Hero ELEVATE T-rails are NOT Stake Pocket mounted). ADARAC is a potential option, but only supports their vertical uprights / crossbars which do not appear to be very aerodynamic. I wish there was a simple solution.

Also, for every good review I read about the BAK Revolution X4s, I read a bad one. Same for the LEER HF650M, etc., etc.

I think I’m going to have to bite the bullet on the RETRAX PRO XR: T-slots accommodate multiple bed rack accessories and the tonneau comes with a lifetime guarantee. Can’t keep researching anymore.
Sponsored

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter

Options are slim for a bed rack system that is compatible with a tonneau cover: ELEVATE claims to be compatible with BAK X4s, MX4, & others, but I reached out to BAK directly and they said no (Truck Hero ELEVATE T-rails are NOT Stake Pocket mounted). ADARAC is a potential option, but only supports their vertical uprights / crossbars which do not appear to be very aerodynamic. I wish there was a simple solution.

Also, for every good review I read about the BAK Revolution X4s, I read a bad one. Same for the LEER HF650M, etc., etc.

I think I’m going to have to bite the bullet on the RETRAX PRO XR: T-slots accommodate multiple bed rack accessories and the tonneau comes with a lifetime guarantee. Can’t keep researching anymore.
I have the truxedo sentry and elevate on order for a truck that isn't even built yet

Ford F-150 Lightning Bed Rack above Tonneau Screenshot_20220216-153637_Chrome

OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I have the truxedo sentry and elevate on order for a truck that isn't even built yet

Screenshot_20220216-153637_Chrome.jpg
Take a look at the installation instructions for the Truxedo Sentry and the installation instructions for the ELEVATE T-rails. Truxedo Sentry - like most tonneau covers - has side rails that clamp to the side of the bed. The ELEVATE's T-rails are NOT stake pocket rails (like the ADARAC); the ELEVATE T-rails also clamp to the side of the bed. The T-rail instructions, from what I read, tell you to mount the tonneau cover rails atop the T-rail rails and clamp both together to the truck bed. I'm just not so sure about that. That's my hesitation. I do like the ELEVATE telescoping bars, I just wish the T-rails were stake pocket mounted.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Take a look at the installation instructions for the Truxedo Sentry and the installation instructions for the ELEVATE T-rails. Truxedo Sentry - like most tonneau covers - has side rails that clamp to the side of the bed. The ELEVATE's T-rails are NOT stake pocket rails (like the ADARAC); the ELEVATE T-rails also clamp to the side of the bed. The T-rail instructions, from what I read, tell you to mount the tonneau cover rails atop the T-rail rails and clamp both together to the truck bed. I'm just not so sure about that. That's my hesitation. I do like the ELEVATE telescoping bars, I just wish the T-rails were stake pocket mounted.
Here’s a video of someone with a BAK tonneau mounted in combination with the Truxedo ELEVATE T-rails. Owner’s opinion confirms my concerns: you can see that, because the tonneau rails mount atop the ELEVATE T-rails in the bed, they are too close and pinch the cover.

Sponsored

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic

Here is a Thule rack on my 18. moved it as well as the tonneau cover to my 21. It’s a heavy rack and slides along rails to any position. When not in use, you can slide the back rack up to the front rack. Stake hole mounted . Set up is a bit of a chore but it works fine , the only issue I have is because I have 157 truck, it’s a quad fold hard cover and the fold ups don’t fit through the rack at the back of the cab.

Ford F-150 Lightning Bed Rack above Tonneau A6ED744D-62D4-4178-8BD9-1856D3F29D66

s.v.t.

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Building..
This is the way.

OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Here is a Thule rack on my 18. moved it as well as the tonneau cover to my 21. It’s a heavy rack and slides along rails to any position. When not in use, you can slide the back rack up to the front rack. Stake hole mounted . Set up is a bit of a chore but it works fine , the only issue I have is because I have 157 truck, it’s a quad fold hard cover and the fold ups don’t fit through the rack at the back of the cab.

A6ED744D-62D4-4178-8BD9-1856D3F29D66.jpeg
Looks like you have the Thule TracRac SR.
Glad it works for you!

IMO, the compatible accessories are minimal though (isn’t a T-slot system) and unfortunately the vertical uprights come in only one height. Not ideal for what I need it for. Thanks for sharing though!

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Truxedo: ELEVATE T-rails are compatible with BAK tonneau.
BAK: ELEVATE T-rails are NOT compatible with BAK tonneau.
Me: ??‍♂

Ford F-150 Lightning Bed Rack above Tonneau D1187C74-373F-4FD1-BF70-261FA0ECDDDC

Unless someone can show me a video of the ELEVATE rails successfully installed and combined with BAK, LEER, etc., tonneau bed cover, I’m waiving off. Unfortunate. This solution had a lot of potential.

RetraxPro XR awaits. Potentially paired with ELEVATE bars.

Sponsored

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I bought through TonneauCovered.com
The customer service was great, hopefully the Truxedo Sentry and Elevate rack works together.
Ill have the tonneau and rack before I have the darn truck...

Sean80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 Tremor (on order)
I've done a bunch of research on this as well, and decided a tonneau that mounts inside the rails with the adarack system was the most economical. It allows full use of the bed and both tonneau and rack can be easily removed if needed. A bak x4s with the adarack m series would allow the tonneau to roll up underneath the rack.

thechester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 on order

I've spent too much time pondering covers. I want a Yakima OverHaul rack but will also have a fork mount bike rack in the front of the bed. I can't seem to pin down a cover that doesn't take up a bunch of room in the front of the bed like the ReTrax/Ford aluminum covers do but also has T slots. I think I'm asking for too much and will have to settle with just removing the cover if I want to use the fork mounted bike rack.

Undertheradar

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I have a RCI 12” bed rack and their tonneau adapters ready to go for when my truck arrives. I’m planning on going with either the Truxedo Sentry or the Bak X4S.

OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I have a RCI 12” bed rack and their tonneau adapters ready to go for when my truck arrives. I’m planning on going with either the Truxedo Sentry or the Bak X4S.
RCI adapters fit under the tonneau rails and then you clamp both to the bed. Very similar to Truck Hero ELEVATE install; I have concerns about how well this works (strength) and whether this would impact the tonneau cover (you’re pushing the rails out slightly off the bed sides). Hope it works out for you.

Install guide.
Sponsored