Sponsored

Best Parameters for FORSCAN Logging

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
As I dive into using FORSCAN, it's clear that there are a **vast number of parameters** available for logging—almost too many! Some even seem to have duplicate names.

**What parameters do you recommend logging?** Is there a list available somewhere?

For what it's worth, I'd love to log the following:

- Current
- Voltage
- AC Compressor Current
- Cabin Heater Current
- Pack Heater Current
- Front/Rear Motor Current
- Load
- Battery Pack Temperature (and any other relevant temperatures)
- GPS Coordinates (if possible)
- Tire Pressure

I've managed to pin down a few of these, but I'd love to refine my list further.
Sponsored

EliPNW

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, Shopping for Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Tech

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I don't know what you mean by "logging".

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Forscan has a Live Data mode. It’s the icon that looks like an oscilloscope, right below the DTC icon. A poor man’s data logger.

I’m guessing this is what OP is looking at. CarScanner is often used instead.

OP
OP
Firn

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
Forscan has a Live Data mode. It’s the icon that looks like an oscilloscope, right below the DTC icon. A poor man’s data logger.

I’m guessing this is what OP is looking at. CarScanner is often used instead.
Correct.

I use Torque Pro for my regular vehicles and have used Car Scanner a little bit with the lightning. That said FORSCAN, at least at initial look, has more parameters to monitor. It also easily exports into other formats.

Specifically I'm looking for post drive logs, not real-time data. I plan on doing back to back comparison drives and will use the logs to compare the trips

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I have played around with that Forscan feature in the past, but not enough to help you out.

I would suggest that you should log kW instead of current whenever available (e.g., for motors). As you likely know Power = Volts x Amps and the battery voltage does vary significantly based on SOC. So just logging amps could be deceiving if used for comparison purposes. You likely want to know the power (aka kW) being delivered to the front/rear motors, etc.

OP
OP
Firn

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
I would suggest that you should log kW instead of current whenever available (e.g., for motors). As you likely know Power = Volts x Amps and the battery voltage does vary significantly based on SOC. So just logging amps could be deceiving if used for comparison purposes. You likely want to know the power (aka kW) being delivered to the front/rear motors, etc.
Yeah, completely agree. I have found battery voltage and a few current measurements such as AC Compressor Current so I had resigned myself to just doing the math. If I can locate watts however that would be much easier.
Sponsored