• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Best procedure for long term vehicle storage?

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
I realize this horse died a while ago, but please bear with me for a few more lashes. I'm putting mine up for a long winters nap (about 3 months). I've read the manual and all the replies here but I still have a few questions.

It's in an insulated but unheated garage. The garage is mostly below grade so it rarely goes below 40 degrees in there. SOC is 56%. I do not have access here to my normal L2 charger.

I have found conflicting info from Ford and on here relating to the LVB. The manual says to disconnect it and put it on a trickle charge. But the attached graphic from Ford says disconnect OR put it on a trickle charge.

Ford F-150 Lightning Best procedure for long term vehicle storage? 1703520876813

Ideally I'd like to keep the LVB connected with a trickle charger on it so I can remotely monitor status and perhaps get any updates that may occur in that time. It is in close proximity to my wifi.

What would be the downsides to keeping the LVB connected vs disconnected. In either case, I would put the charger on it.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The manual says disconnect, nothing about a trickle charge. Given your circumstances, leave it connected and on a properly connected trickle charger (negative to ground, not battery).

You likely won't get updates, because driving the car trips you to get them.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
What @RickLightning said ^.

Use the jumper points in the passenger side fender for attaching my trickle charger as needed. Has worked flawlessly for the past 8months.

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
I put the truck in the garage on December 26th. LVB still connected with trickle charger on it. When I put it away, SOC was 56%. Garage never went below freezing and was in the mid-30s for most of the winter.
Took it out yesterday. SOC was still 56%. Didn't lose a bit over 3.5 months. Everything seems fine.

OP
OP
Barrels

Barrels

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 3.5L
Occupation
Retired
I put the truck in the garage on December 26th. LVB still connected with trickle charger on it. When I put it away, SOC was 56%. Garage never went below freezing and was in the mid-30s for most of the winter.
Took it out yesterday. SOC was still 56%. Didn't lose a bit over 3.5 months. Everything seems fine.
Me too. I got back after 5 months. Left the Ligtning at 49% with the 12v battery disconnected and on a trickle charger. Put it back in, started up, and SOC was 49%!
Sponsored