Sponsored

Black Grill to replace grey boring OEM (yes, I've seen the wrapped photo)

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I want a black grill. My current grey has a chip, and I was surprised to see it's white plastic! Has anyone spotted a replacement grill in black yet? Before you ask, my local guy wants $300 to WRAP it in gloss black. But honestly, how long would that last before it's chipped.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
why not LINE X it?

Rando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I want a black grill. My current grey has a chip, and I was surprised to see it's white plastic! Has anyone spotted a replacement grill in black yet? Before you ask, my local guy wants $300 to WRAP it in gloss black. But honestly, how long would that last before it's chipped.
I’d shop that wrap price around, especially in Dallas where tint and wrap shops are pretty prolific. The grills on these are pretty simple. There is less than $40 in vinyl needed to cover it, the rest is maybe an hour and a half of labor at most. Less if they don’t need to remove or reinstall much.

Or

Wrap it yourself. A gloss black vinyl is pretty forgiving. Wrapping isn’t that hard to begin with, just tedious. It would be under $100 for some gloss black 3M or Avery vinyl (I find Avery to be easier to work with), knife-less tape, a heat gun, and a squeegee.

Then, you can wrap other tidbits with your newfound skill.

I trust vinyl more than paint when it comes to rocks and flat frontal areas.

Sponsored
OP
OP
kbuicker

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I’d shop that wrap price around, especially in Dallas where tint and wrap shops are pretty prolific. The grills on these are pretty simple. There is less than $40 in vinyl needed to cover it, the rest is maybe an hour and a half of labor at most. Less if they don’t need to remove or reinstall much.

Or

**********Wrap it yourself. A gloss black vinyl is pretty forgiving. Wrapping isn’t that hard to begin with, just tedious. It would be under $100 for some gloss black 3M or Avery vinyl (I find Avery to be easier to work with), knife-less tape, a heat gun, and a squeegee.

Then, you can wrap other tidbits with your newfound skill.

I trust vinyl more than paint when it comes to rocks and flat frontal areas.
I like this idea! Thanks bud!!

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
I hit up my dealership. $1600 and on back order. Crazy price for plastic. Took matters into my own hands

Ford F-150 Lightning Black Grill to replace grey boring OEM (yes, I've seen the wrapped photo) BF1E717D-4402-4242-B7B3-26A4898523A8

OP
OP
kbuicker

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Thank you for bringing the thread back to BLACK GRILLS! Geez! :) . Looks great AZT9!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Clean up on isle 86 completed, stay on topic of OP's concern.

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
WRAP it in gloss black. But honestly, how long would that last before it's chipped.
I think the vinyl would be pretty robust and resistance to damage.

If you want something that might b easier to apply you could try something like plasti-dip or POR15.

OP
OP
kbuicker

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Last edited:

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
PlastiDip or POR15, never tried that! I will have to investigate it! And thank you TaxManHog! :) . thanks Skidrowe for the link!! Thanks Gents!!!!!

I checked with their rep, they recommend the piano black gloss. Looks fun!! https://www.dipyourcar.com/products/hyperdip-grille-mirror-trim-kit?variant=32369859428435
Get your first can from pep boys. They’re far cheaper when they’re on sale.The mattes always turn out the best and a gloss is always harder to execute. I recommend a matte as a first try.

I always do a base coat with plastidip, and my top coats recently have been duplicolor as I like their metallics much better.

Feel free to post any questions.