• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can't log into FDRS

Maineiac12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT 312A
I'm unable to log into FDRS. It's telling me that it can't communicate with the login servers. I'm using version 40.4.8.

I tried downgrading to 37.4.7. This time it lets me get to the login page but gives me an "internal error" when I put in my username and password. Is this version too old?

Does anyone have download links for a version between 37 and 40 that I can try? Or any other advice? I purchased my license and it activated but I can't get the darn thing to log me in.
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Logging in to FDRS for the first time is a PITA. Try restarting the laptop. You can also try creating a new password (even if the current one works for the Mototcraft site). Also, try the other non-dealer login type in FDRS in case you are using the wrong one.

OP
OP

Maineiac12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Logging in to FDRS for the first time is a PITA. Try restarting the laptop. You can also try creating a new password (even if the current one works for the Mototcraft site). Also, try the other non-dealer login type in FDRS in case you are using the wrong one.
Can I use a different account? I already had an account for ford.com, FordPass, etc.

Could I use a different email and have an account just for the motorcraft site?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Can I use a different account? I already had an account for ford.com, FordPass, etc.

Could I use a different email and have an account just for the motorcraft site?
I don't see why not.

OP
OP

Maineiac12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m in! Not sure what did it, but several reboots, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc and I’m finally updating 😆

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
After I activated FDRS with the 20-character code, my initial problem when logging in was that a gray dialog box would pop up saying that the FDRS servers weren't available, but log in anyway to work offline with limited ability.

A Microsoft copilot search revealed that was a common problem encountered on Ford forums, saying some users had fixed the problem by reinstalling the software. Others also recommended turning Windows Defender off during the installation process. Since the installation files had been scanned with Windows Defender both in download and during the first installation attempt with no problems noted (except for restricting firewall access to publically configured networks), I reinstalled ("overinstalled") both the VCI and the FDRS software, doing the VCI overinstall BEFORE FDRS instead of after as the Helm, Inc. instructions suggest for the de novo install. Then, the login dialog for the Internet worked when I tried to log on as an "Independent Operator/Non-Dealer." But proceed at your own risk if you decide to follow my example. After I found my FDRS installation could connect to the Internet and furnish a Ford login page, I turned Windows Defender back on.

I then had (and still have) the problem that Helm, Inc. had allowed me to create account credentials that don't work with the FDRS login with Ford servers. It seemed that with Helm account creation, a Username can be a character ID and doesn't have to be an e-mail address. An e-mail address is only explicitly asked for as the last field entry in the Account Creation dialog:
Ford F-150 Lightning Can't log into FDRS 1720767801087-a9

But when you get to the FDRS login, an e-mail address is expected as the username. If you enter anything that's not an e-mail address, the web form complains about an invalid entry. I had decided that I didn't want to give Helm, Inc., my Ford account credentials. Things probably would have worked out better if I had. Ford has a "Single Sign-On Page," but it must be for dealers and Ford employees. I can't sign in to try to merge accounts with either my Helm, Inc. account info or my Ford account info. Since the Single Sign-On appears to be MS Azure-based, the laughable thing is the e-mail part of that portal recognizes my MS 365 e-mail address but won't let me sign in since that's not associated with any Ford-related account...

Last edited:

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I then had (and still have) the problem that Helm, Inc. had allowed me to create account credentials that don't work with the FDRS login with Ford servers.
Turns out that the Helm, Inc. account associated with purchasing the license has nothing to do with running FDRS once you have a license. For that, according to Rotunda tech support for FDRS, you need to register a Ford account at www.motorcraftservice.com. Since it was 7 am my time, I may have gotten my wires crossed with the tech support guy. He seemed to say it was like having an account on eBay and Amazon. You could use the same e-mail address but a different password. When I tried to register on the Motorcraft site, though, it told me my standard personal e-mail address was already in use (for my Ford account?). So, I used a different e-mail address and created a new, separate Ford account for www.motorcraftservice.com. Then, when I tried the FDRS login, the newly created credentials worked and FDRS ran.

The next time I log into FDRS online, I'll just try my regular Ford account and see if that works. Since the FDRS two-day license is tied to a specific computer and can't be used on another computer without transfer, AFAIK, I can't see that it should matter what Ford account you're using - but I'll test my noobie theory.
Sponsored