• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Car play works but Apple maps does not.

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
When I first got my 2023 Lariat ER in June last year, car play along with apple maps navigation worked fine. A few months ago I noticed that maps does not follow my truck's route anymore. Since Ford can't get their shit together and send updates I don't know if an update would solve the problem. The last update was something called Priority Update 23-PUO724-DOM-RS.

Has anyone else had problems with Apple maps not working for navigation? Is there some conflict between car play and Ford's navigation?

This is extremely frustrating....
Sponsored

MrH42

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, 2023 Subaru BRZ
I'm so confused by this post. Apple maps and your in car navigation system do not talk to each other. Most cars only allow one or the other to be used for navigation, not both at the same time.

Last edited:

djstough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2023 MachE Premium ER
From what I can discern, this sounds like an iPhone/CarPlay/Apple Maps issue. All the car does with CarPlay is display what is generated by iOS.

OP
OP

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
apologies for the confustion. Apple maps is part of carplay. I can connect to carplay wirelessly, no problem. The issue I'm having is that when I enter a destination in apple maps, it no longer shows turn by turn directions on my screen and my truck is not where it should be on the map.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
apologies for the confustion. Apple maps is part of carplay. I can connect to carplay wirelessly, no problem. The issue I'm having is that when I enter a destination in apple maps, it no longer shows turn by turn directions on my screen and my truck is not where it should be on the map.
@jthiesse13
have you tried unpairing your phone - then re-pairing? Many instances where this has solved communication issues.

to Troubleshoot, have you tried usb cable option?

I’ve had that update since mid December- not a problem with  maps.

Sponsored

Arrington.LCA

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I had this issue for a few weeks last year when I was a few OTA updates back. Apple Maps displayed correctly but the turn directions shown on the driver display was one step/direction behind what Apple Maps was showing. What OTA was your last one, and what iOS version are you on now? Picture was from 9/19/23. You’ll notice different directions between screens.

Ford F-150 Lightning Car play works but Apple maps does not. IMG_2133

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
My Apple Car play/Apple Maps works fine. I use it every day and the turn by turn, along with the battery estimate upon arrival at my destination, both work flawlessly. If it matters, I am on OTA update 6.8 and I'm using an iPhone 13 with the latest iOS.

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
I'm so confused by this post. Apple maps and your in car navigation system do not talk to each other. Most cars only allow one or the other to be used for navigation, not both at the same time.
I think there is some communication. I think if you start a navigation in CarPlay and the start one in Ford navigation the CarPlay navigation will stop, and vice version.

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
Does Apple Maps navigation work on your phone when it is not connected to CarPlay? Also, I hate to suggest this but have you rebooted your iPhone?

MrH42

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, 2023 Subaru BRZ
...I said that in my original post? They communicate in a sense that only one will run at a time, but they won't sync up, or communicate routes or anything like that original post was saying.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I think there is some communication. I think if you start a navigation in CarPlay and the start one in Ford navigation the CarPlay navigation will stop, and vice version.
Right. Like he said, only one can run at a time. If you start the second app, the first app stops.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I had this issue for a few weeks last year when I was a few OTA updates back. Apple Maps displayed correctly but the turn directions shown on the driver display was one step/direction behind what Apple Maps was showing. What OTA was your last one, and what iOS version are you on now? Picture was from 9/19/23. You’ll notice different directions between screens.

IMG_2133.jpeg
Which mode (setting) gives you the turn-by-turn in the main dash? I've not tried AppleMaps (I've been a Waze junkie for a long time). With Waze, I don't get the turn-by-turn in the main dash (so I have to get those instructions on my phone.) Or maybe I just don't have my settings properly set (hence my original question.) Thanks!

sfringer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Which mode (setting) gives you the turn-by-turn in the main dash? I've not tried AppleMaps (I've been a Waze junkie for a long time). With Waze, I don't get the turn-by-turn in the main dash (so I have to get those instructions on my phone.) Or maybe I just don't have my settings properly set (hence my original question.) Thanks!
Turn on the Driver Assistance view.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
There's also sometimes a communication issues between the truck's GPS and maps on the phone. I've had it happen where the phone thinks I'm standing still, or facing the wrong direction and calls for constant u-turns. Switching to in-car navigation and back to carplay tends to fix it, but sometimes I need to reboot sync, the phone, or both before it all works again.
Sponsored