First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
I need opinions on the best device for preventing catalytic converter theft for a 2021 F150 XL, single cab 5.0, 2WD.
Sponsored

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
That is something I have never worried about, truck lives in the garage and we live in a great area where they dont steal others stuff.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I need opinions on the best device for preventing catalytic converter theft for a 2021 F150 XL, single cab 5.0, 2WD.

good luck getting your hands on one, they are sold out. I didn’t realize this was an actual big problem until my local city government put on a special event where partnered auto shops would imprint your vin on your cats for free. Crazy times.

Handguns work well...so I have been told
do you duct tape or zip tie this to the frame? What’s stopping them from taking the handgun also? Do long rifles work as well?

sysop

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 Lariat 145 - 2022 F150 Lariat 157
Occupation
worker bee
I have heard of folk putting a tack weld on the head of the bolts, both to hold the bolts from turning, as well as preventing a socket from going onto the heads of the bolts. Creates some extra work for services where that stuff needs to come off, but stops those that come prepared to use a cordless impact or ratchet expecting to buzz it off in a minute or two.

Sponsored

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
I have heard of folk putting a tack weld on the head of the bolts, both to hold the bolts from turning, as well as preventing a socket from going onto the heads of the bolts. Creates some extra work for services where that stuff needs to come off, but stops those that come prepared to use a cordless impact or ratchet expecting to buzz it off in a minute or two.
No one is taking the time to unbolt it. They’re using battery powered sawzalls and just cutting them off.

sysop

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 Lariat 145 - 2022 F150 Lariat 157
Occupation
worker bee
No one is taking the time to unbolt it. They’re using battery powered sawzalls and just cutting them off.
Not true if you follow the news. Most are targeting vehicles they have watched and know exactly what tools to bring.

Think about it: An impact only makes a bunch of noise for a second until the bolt/nut breaks loose (or breaks off). A sawzall or grinder make much more noise for much more time. Impact is not only quieter, but faster as well.

All the times I've seen it caught on video, they unbolt them (which is partly why they mostly target newer vehicles). Here is one of the more recent I've seen hit the news:

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Not true if you follow the news. Most are targeting vehicles they have watched and know exactly what tools to bring.

Think about it: An impact only makes a bunch of noise for a second until the bolt/nut breaks loose (or breaks off). A sawzall or grinder make much more noise for much more time. Impact is not only quieter, but faster as well.

All the times I've seen it caught on video, they unbolt them (which is partly why they mostly target newer vehicles). Here is one of the more recent I've seen hit the news:

All four that have been stolen from my fleet vehicles were cut off. One guy was nice enough to leave a fresh blade and his flashlight. Very nice of him. :cautious:

OP
OP

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
Recommended by cops is to engrave an ID # on it or paint it. These are for when a bust is made and they find boxes of cat converters you can get yours back. At least Ford trucks are not high on the list.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
All four that have been stolen from my fleet vehicles were cut off. One guy was nice enough to leave a fresh blade and his flashlight. Very nice of him. :cautious:
Seems the Japanese car companies make them pretty easy to unbolt hence the high theft rate. Not sure if they are ignorant to the problem or looking to make out on the replacement converters.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer

Not around here. They are cut off.

They have hit car lots and gotten them all.
Sponsored