• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

CD player?

brownhousechris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I have lots of CDs I don't feel like ripping to my phone or a USB stick. Has anyone had any luck with connecting a portable CD player (or any other non-phone audio device) to the Lightning's audio?
Sponsored

twodogsdennis

First Name
dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro
I've been wondering the same thing, specifically with a SiriusXM Onyx EZR Satellite Radio. It appears that one USB port under the dash may be able to provide power and a direct audio connection by purchasing a 3.5/USB combo jack that would connect the radio to the truck.

I have a '23 Pro and don't want to continuously run the phone on android auto or pay $25/month for the ATT hot spot.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR

16cards

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm very curious why there isn't a desire to continuously run the phone on Android Auto (or CarPlay if on iPhone).

I believe in owning physical media for archival purposes, not day to usage, and avoiding streaming subscriptions. But of course, still enjoy convenience of app-based consuming of media.

My media set up (movies, TV, music, audiobooks, podcasts) is nothing unique, you can find tons of tutorials:
  • Raspberry Pi, Large Hard Drive, running Plex Server with Lifetime License at home.
  • Plex clients on all my TVs and family's phones.
  • Relevant to this thread... Plexamp music app is integrated to CarPlay and Android Auto.
So... again, I'm very curious why are you adverse to using Android Auto?

Sponsored

twodogsdennis

First Name
dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro
I'm very curious why there isn't a desire to continuously run the phone on Android Auto (or CarPlay if on iPhone).

I believe in owning physical media for archival purposes, not day to usage, and avoiding streaming subscriptions. But of course, still enjoy convenience of app-based consuming of media.

My media set up (movies, TV, music, audiobooks, podcasts) is nothing unique, you can find tons of tutorials:
  • Raspberry Pi, Large Hard Drive, running Plex Server with Lifetime License at home.
  • Relevant to this thread... Plexamp music app is integrated to CarPlay and Android Auto.
I like the convenience of fresh music, etc. without having to download content. Cell coverage has gaps so driving in the mountains and remote areas can be a problem even for over the air radio, something that doesn't happen on the XM radio in my Silverado except for brief moments in a canyon. My phone suffers from battery drain and overheating when sitting in charger all day. I also have a cheap, cheap subscription and the ability to listen wherever I can see the sky.

16cards

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Lightning Lariat ER
I like the convenience of fresh music, etc. without having to download content. Cell coverage has gaps so driving in the mountains and remote areas can be a problem even for over the air radio, something that doesn't happen on the XM radio in my Silverado except for brief moments in a canyon. My phone suffers from battery drain and overheating when sitting in charger all day. I also have a cheap, cheap subscription and the ability to listen wherever I can see the sky.
Got it. Thank you for taking the time to share your scenario.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR

There are a lot of apps that will work with android auto that don't require a home server or an active internet connection, just have the mp3's on your phone storage. I use AIMP, and I can load up music by folder or by artist name.

As for OP, I totally understand owning physical media, but why not also rip them for convenience, and use an app for offline playback?

OP
OP

brownhousechris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
There are a lot of apps that will work with android auto that don't require a home server or an active internet connection, just have the mp3's on your phone storage. I use AIMP, and I can load up music by folder or by artist name.

As for OP, I totally understand owning physical media, but why not also rip them for convenience, and use an app for offline playback?
I'm Lazy!

Also, there is just something about letting a passenger flip through a book of CDs to pick out the one that catches their eye, as opposed to scrolling though a screen.

OP
OP

brownhousechris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I've been wondering the same thing, specifically with a SiriusXM Onyx EZR Satellite Radio. It appears that one USB port under the dash may be able to provide power and a direct audio connection by purchasing a 3.5/USB combo jack that would connect the radio to the truck.

I have a '23 Pro and don't want to continuously run the phone on android auto or pay $25/month for the ATT hot spot.
Any tips on how to find out if that USB port will indeed connect to the stereo? Did you run across this in the manual somewhere?

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Years ago I copied my CDs onto a thumb drive, which works fine in the Lightning.

OP
OP

brownhousechris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Any tips on how to find out if that USB port will indeed connect to the stereo? Did you run across this in the manual somewhere?
OK, I think I found it in the manual. Could be worth a try...

Ford F-150 Lightning CD player? 1722961624023-6

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I'm Lazy!
Totally get it.

Just FYI though, windows media player has a setting that will auto rip any CD you put in your drive in your computer. You can set it for file type and bitrate, and basically just put a CD in, wait till its done, swap it out for the next one.

Besides all the thousands of Napster mp3s I still have from when they downloaded over 56k in my parents house in 1999, I also ripped a ton of CDs via windows media player much more recently.
Sponsored