• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging in the Delmarva Peninsula

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR, 1999 Corvette Roadster
Occupation
Real Estate
I'll be traveling to the Delaware Beach resorts this summer from the Washington DC area without the Tesla adapter and can't seem to find more than two fast charging stations on the Delmarva Peninsula. This route and destinations are hugely popular almost year-round now, so I was more than a little surprised at how few charging stations are there.

Am I searching wrong or is it the charging desert it appears to be? Anyone have any recommendations or know of any good charging locations?
I have the Standard Range battery and have made only one short trip so far so I am a bit concerned. I'm a senior citizen and would rather not have to push the truck too far.
Sponsored

Mike37

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning; 2010 Corvette
Occupation
Retired
I have a home in West Fenwick. You are correct that it is difficult to find DCFC in and around the area. Here’s what I’ve found.

You can find charging at the First State Chevrolet and at the Royal Farms across from the 404 and 113 intersection. I’ve used both of these. There are several charging stations along Route 50 at the Royal Farms and in public parking just before you cross the bridge into OC. I have used the one in Royal Farms.

Along Route 50, there are Shell chargers in Public Parking just after the Bay Bridge, then some EA chargers at the Queenstown Outlets. I have used both of these. There is also a charger in public parking at the west side of the intersection of Routes 50 and 404. Best news is the Supercharger in Easton with the magic docks. Tough to maneuver into a space if the rightmost charger is being used.

Last time I checked the OC DCFC chargers at the library and the civic center still didn’t work so don’t depend on them. The level 2 chargers did work.

OP
OP
OverExtendedAgain

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate
I have a home in West Fenwick. You are correct that it is difficult to find DCFC in and around the area. Here’s what I’ve found.

You can find charging at the First State Chevrolet and at the Royal Farms across from the 404 and 113 intersection. I’ve used both of these. There are several charging stations along Route 50 at the Royal Farms and in public parking just before you cross the bridge into OC. I have used the one in Royal Farms.

Along Route 50, there are Shell chargers in Public Parking just after the Bay Bridge, then some EA chargers at the Queenstown Outlets. I have used both of these. There is also a charger in public parking at the west side of the intersection of Routes 50 and 404. Best news is the Supercharger in Easton with the magic docks. Tough to maneuver into a space if the rightmost charger is being used.

Last time I checked the OC DCFC chargers at the library and the civic center still didn’t work so don’t depend on them. The level 2 chargers did work.
Great info, Mike. Greatly appreciated!
I'm going to Bethany via Rt. 404 and believe I can get there with two charging stops. First one at the Queenstown Outlets (they have four, 350 Kw EA chargers X 2 hoses = 8 charging spots) and a second stop at First State Chevy/Royal Farms at 113 & 404.

I was hoping to find a charger in or near Bethany like North OC like those at 100th St. or 40th St. but am concerned about where to charge in/near Bethany.

Any additional thoughts?

Mike37

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning; 2010 Corvette
Occupation
Retired
You may not need the Queenstown charger going. Also, I don’t believe that the stations allow for two concurrent charges each. My Lariat SR gets me from western MOCO to Fenwick nonstop if I start at 90%. If you need to stop, don’t write off the two Shell chargers just after the bridge. While they are slower rate of charge, you probably won’t have to wait in line and they seem more dependable than the EAs. Plus there is a Ledos in the shopping center to grab a bite to eat and a Target if you need to stock up for your vacation. You can hop off at the first exit after the bridge, make a left to the road that runs past the shopping center and check for the chargers in the parking lot on your left. If they are in use, just keep going, jump back on 50 and proceed to Queenstown.

I originally depended on the DCFC described in my earlier message and level 2 charging in OC while I waited for ann electrician to install a 14-50 outlet in my Fenwick garage. The First State and Royal Farms chargers both worked well for me, though a little slower.

There are a number of level 2 chargers in Bethany, but I’ve never used them. I believe I saw them on the first cross street after Route 1. They may work for you if you plan to spend the day at the beach and you manage to snag one. A few hours might give you enough to do some restaurant hopping for dinner. Also, if you plan to do some shopping at the Rehoboth outlet malls, there are available level 2 chargers (not the Voltas) in at least one of them. I used that one, too.

You'll definitely need a good charge to return to the DC area.

You may want to invest in the A2Z Typhoon NACS to CCS connector If you can’t get the Ford connector in time. Lots of folks on this forum use it successfully. Even if you don’t use it, it will provide peace of mind as there are a number of Tesla Superchargers in Rehoboth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OverExtendedAgain

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate
You may not need the Queenstown charger going. Also, I don’t believe that the stations allow for two concurrent charges each. My Lariat SR gets me from western MOCO to Fenwick nonstop if I start at 90%. If you need to stop, don’t write off the two Shell chargers just after the bridge. While they are slower rate of charge, you probably won’t have to wait in line and they seem more dependable than the EAs. Plus there is a Ledos in the shopping center to grab a bite to eat and a Target if you need to stock up for your vacation. You can hop off at the first exit after the bridge, make a left to the road that runs past the shopping center and check for the chargers in the parking lot on your left. If they are in use, just keep going, jump back on 50 and proceed to Queenstown.

I originally depended on the DCFC described in my earlier message and level 2 charging in OC while I waited for ann electrician to install a 14-50 outlet in my Fenwick garage. The First State and Royal Farms chargers both worked well for me, though a little slower.

There are a number of level 2 chargers in Bethany, but I’ve never used them. I believe I saw them on the first cross street after Route 1. They may work for you if you plan to spend the day at the beach and you manage to snag one. A few hours might give you enough to do some restaurant hopping for dinner. Also, if you plan to do some shopping at the Rehoboth outlet malls, there are available level 2 chargers (not the Voltas) in at least one of them. I used that one, too.

You'll definitely need a good charge to return to the DC area.

You may want to invest in the A2Z Typhoon NACS to CCS connector If you can’t get the Ford connector in time. Lots of folks on this forum use it successfully. Even if you don’t use it, it will provide peace of mind as there are a number of Tesla Superchargers in Rehoboth.
Great insight into solving this charging puzzle, thx!

You know you have also made me aware of a whole other problem, which is planning my trip back.
As you said, I’ll need a pretty decent charge for my return trip too, something I need to think more about. Thanks.
Sponsored