• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cybertruck test drive review

pjy

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
LE
I had the opportunity to test drive the AWD foundation series Cybertruck today. I currently have a ‘23 lightning PRO SR that I bought for $40,000 after incentives as original msrp was honored for me. I had high hopes for the Cybertruck and was considering switching given the fact that I like the design. After my test drive of the 100k Cybertruck I can say without a doubt that the F150 Lightning PRO is head and shoulders above the Cybertruck.

Cybertruck wins on:
Styling (if that’s your thing)
Turn radius (it turns on a dime)
Range compared to SR
Heated and cooled front seats and heated rear seats
Rear screen
Air suspension

F150 Lightning PRO SR wins on:
Everything else
Acceleration (Lightning seems significantly faster)
Drunk space (Cybertruck drink is ting)
Interior comforts (vinyl seats in the PRO are actually more comfortable)
Rear seat space (no comparison)
Steering (the steering wheel is very small and odd to use)
Bed (lightning bed seems larger width wise)
Read visibility (numerous blind spots in cybertruck)
Drive modes (cybertruck only has one pedal drive)
Interior quality (cybertruck is minimalist and seems cheap)

I really wanted to like the Cybertruck but the Lightning is a better vehicle and truck. Maybe Tesla will make some improvements in the next gen model. Certainly not worth the price. Maybe at $65 it would sell but I think the Flash trim would be a better option for most.

Ford F-150 Lightning Cybertruck test drive review IMG_3073
Sponsored

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
How much louder inside is the CT, subjectively? Supposedly the lightning is quieter than the r1t and the CT but not sure about the pro

Reactions: pjy
OP
OP

pjy

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
LE
No real difference that I noticed. They didn’t let me get up to highway speeds but I’m sure it will be louder with the off-road tires.

Magendi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
I really wanted the air suspension and four wheel steering…I have to park a lot in city lots and it would be super nice to be able to get low and not have to do 7 point turns getting into parking spaces ;) Plus off road there is a ton more clearance with the air suspension. The stainless body would be nice in those lots too, to avoid all the door dings. I also wanted the Tesla software with updates that happen frequently and actually install OTA.

On the other hand, Tesla made some pretty insane design mistakes IMO. An off road truck with no spare tire??? If you think the bed looked a bit constrained imagine what it will look like with a 35” spare tire sitting in there…Then you have a rear window that is covered by the tonneau and fairly dinky side mirrors for aero reasons so you are pretty reliant on the rear camera and they inexplicably didn’t put a washer on it on a $100k truck meant for off road. Whoever decided that never drove down a gravel road. I and my dogs love a rear window that opens, not sure why they skipped that. While the rear screen seems like it would be cool, I’m pretty sure my dogs would scratch it up within weeks if not break it entirely.

I had a very early order for the cybertruck and ended up getting the lightning instead this spring. I am very confident it was the right decision even without considering the massive price difference.

OP
OP

pjy

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
LE
i was completely ready to make the impractical decision and buy the CT for 2x the cost of my PRO if it was even just a little better in terms of performance and comfort but it just wasn’t. It’s super cool and definitely better off road, but I have a Sasquatch Bronco for that.
I was an early adopter of both the Bronco and Lightning, having never owned an a ford, but I have to say that they have upped their game.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
If you want to upgrade try an ER Lightning for cheaper. The styling has grown on me from the CT but not enough to beat the Lightning.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
i was completely ready to make the impractical decision and buy the CT for 2x the cost of my PRO if it was even just a little better in terms of performance and comfort but it just wasn’t. It’s super cool and definitely better off road, but I have a Sasquatch Bronco for that.
I was an early adopter of both the Bronco and Lightning, having never owned an a ford, but I have to say that they have upped their game.
I’m honestly surprised you’re not banned over there on the CT forums for posting a single negative thing. I got shadow banned for pointing out one of the top posters couldn’t do math. :rolleyes:

Reactions: pjy

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I had the opportunity to test drive the AWD foundation series Cybertruck today. I currently have a ‘23 lightning PRO SR that I bought for $40,000 after incentives as original msrp was honored for me. I had high hopes for the Cybertruck and was considering switching given the fact that I like the design. After my test drive of the 100k Cybertruck I can say without a doubt that the F150 Lightning PRO is head and shoulders above the Cybertruck.

Cybertruck wins on:
Styling (if that’s your thing)
Turn radius (it turns on a dime)
Range compared to SR
Heated and cooled front seats and heated rear seats
Rear screen
Air suspension

F150 Lightning PRO SR wins on:
Everything else
Acceleration (Lightning seems significantly faster)
Drunk space (Cybertruck drink is ting)
Interior comforts (vinyl seats in the PRO are actually more comfortable)
Rear seat space (no comparison)
Steering (the steering wheel is very small and odd to use)
Bed (lightning bed seems larger width wise)
Read visibility (numerous blind spots in cybertruck)
Drive modes (cybertruck only has one pedal drive)
Interior quality (cybertruck is minimalist and seems cheap)

I really wanted to like the Cybertruck but the Lightning is a better vehicle and truck. Maybe Tesla will make some improvements in the next gen model. Certainly not worth the price. Maybe at $65 it would sell but I think the Flash trim would be a better option for most.

IMG_3073.jpeg
What was the price?
I got the 23 lightning lariat ER For $60k With incentives.-I know that was a heck of a deal!
It has roughly the same range
Leather seats
Heated and cooled front heated rear
I definitely wish it had the air suspension and the better turning radius!! It’s not bad for a big truck, but the four wheel steering would be great

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
What was the price?
I got the 23 lightning lariat ER For $60k With incentives.-I know that was a heck of a deal!
It has roughly the same range
Leather seats
Heated and cooled front heated rear
I definitely wish it had the air suspension and the better turning radius!! It’s not bad for a big truck, but the four wheel steering would be great
Probably means you don’t get the spare tire. Tesla prioritized steering over a spare. Who was right? That’s for the market to decide.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I’m honestly surprised you’re not banned over there on the CT forums for posting a single negative thing. I got shadow banned for pointing out one of the top posters couldn’t do math. :rolleyes:
It's about the Koolaid (or lack there of) ... "One of us, one of us ..."
Sponsored