Dead Frunk: Solution Found

OllieC

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
I left the frunk open for two days when my Lightning was in the garage. Apparently that's a no-no because the frunk forgets what position it is in and when you go to close or open it it just makes 4 sets of 3 beeps (or three sets of four beeps, I forget which). I closed the frunk manually, just pushed it down until it latched and I got an error message on the dash saying: Frunk System Fault, Service Required. So I rooted around on the internet for a while and found a solution posted by ctuan13: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/frunk-completely-dead.13870/page-2#post-290130
Ctuan13 says : I remembered reading something about the emergency trunk release button in the trunk being pushed and then requiring a full manual cycle and push close to reset the system. So I gave it a shot.

I closed the hood as far down as I could while still being able to reach the button from the outside, I pushed the button. The rapid alternating chime could be heard from the cab. I then manually opened the hood all the way and then closed the trunk completely and pushed down firmly to latch it. It still didn't function. But then I pulled the manual release again and cycled it fully open.

And then something crazy happened: when I pushed the button on the hood the trunk began closing. It's been working ever since.

So I opened the trunk up manually, using the fabric frunk release latch down by your drivers side left leg. I followed ctuan13's instructions, pressing the emergency release button inside the frunk on the front passenger side, and pushing the frunk all the way up. Then it works: you can push the buttons on the key fob or the bottom of the trunk or inside the cab and the frunk opens and closes by itself.
Wanted to post this again in case others missed his original post.
Sponsored

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Haven’t had this happen yet but I’m sure it’s in the future.

Thanks for posting. Now if I can find this down the road when I need it remains to be seen!

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
This and lots of other posts cause me to believe that the software should allow the big battery to keep the 12 volt battery fully charged always, even if my truck is parked.

The other way to deal with this, less desirable by far, would be to put in a much larger 12 volt battery.

Does anyone know what group size our trucks come with?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired