First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
This

This just fixed mine.
That's great to hear! I'm glad to see others fixing their front trunk issues without time spent at the dealer getting unnecessary module replacements done!
Sponsored

dingmah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Ok- I've been searching and reading threads on this forum on frunk issues in search for answer and damn near gave up. Between YouTube videos on the matter and threads on this forum, I was stressing about having to potentially leave my truck with the dealer for multiple weeks.

Very begrudgingly, I decided to try this trick you described here and IT FREAKING WORKED. I'm in disbelief and very grateful. Thank you so much for sharing.

For context:
- Model Year 2023 received March 5, 2023 (less than a month ago)
- Rained heavily on truck March 24. Also software update that day.
- Next day, frunk wouldn't operate with any of the buttons. Displayed "Frunk System Fault - Service Required" upon startup.
- Able to manually release / open / close / latch. However, while driving the Frunk Ajar warning indicator icon remained on

The specific steps from OP's trick that worked for me:
- Pulled manual release (twice) to open frunk fully
- Manually closed frunk as far as I could while still being able to reach the emergency release button inside the frunk
- Pressed the emergency release button inside
- The frunk beeped (I think 3 times?) and then closed itself automatically, which I thought was odd (I thought the emergency release button would have opened it)
- I then entered the truck and turned it on
- Observed a message that said "Emergency release was pulled..." or something like that. Dismissed it.
- Noted the Frunk Ajar warning indicator was no longer on and there was no "Frunk System Fault" message!
- Pressed the frunk electronic button next to the steering wheel: Frunk opened fully
- Pressed the button again, frunk closed fully

I am a very, very happy camper. Huge load off my chest. Thank you!
Thank you! This fixed my stupid frunk ajar issue earlier tonight.

To clarify, here are the steps that I would write.
Step 1 - Pull the manual release loop once to release the primary latch, while someone is at the front of the truck lifting up on the frunk.
Step 2 - Continue to pull on the manual release loop to release the secondary latch, while someone is at the front of the truck lifting up on the frunk. Now the frunk should be freed.
Step 3 - Once the frunk is open. Push the Emergency kidnap button inside the frunk. The frunk should lift completely to its highest position and beep a few times.
Step 4 - You should be able to press the close frunk button and it should close on its own, because now it knows the correct open/close status of the frunk.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
Thank you! This fixed my stupid frunk ajar issue earlier tonight.

To clarify, here are the steps that I would write.
Step 1 - Pull the manual release loop once to release the primary latch, while someone is at the front of the truck lifting up on the frunk.
Step 2 - Continue to pull on the manual release loop to release the secondary latch, while someone is at the front of the truck lifting up on the frunk. Now the frunk should be freed.
Step 3 - Once the frunk is open. Push the Emergency kidnap button inside the frunk. The frunk should lift completely to its highest position and beep a few times.
Step 4 - You should be able to press the close frunk button and it should close on its own, because now it knows the correct open/close status of the frunk.
I had to pull three times on my truck with a helper lifting. I wonder if they changed the logic some time.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I had to pull three times on my truck with a helper lifting. I wonder if they changed the logic some time.
That is an entirely mechanical release mechanism, so there's no logic. If you're experiencing inconsistency, it's likely due to improper adjustment or excess slack in the cable.

When functioning as intended, you should be able to pull the emergency release twice, and walk over to the hood and open it without anyone pulling up on it simultaneously as you're pulling the release.

dingmah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
That is an entirely mechanical release mechanism, so there's no logic. If you're experiencing inconsistency, it's likely due to improper adjustment or excess slack in the cable.

When functioning as intended, you should be able to pull the emergency release twice, and walk over to the hood and open it without anyone pulling up on it simultaneously as you're pulling the release.
It's currently -40C/F where I am, and I had to pull the emergency release to get my frunk to open. Whatever the case may be, the one pull did not work at all. Had to do it with two people. Even when I took it to the dealership, I had to help out the service manager. He lifted the hood while I pulled the loop.
Sponsored