• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
It'd be nice if they put some emphasis on fixing their network before adding these adapters. Currently at an EA station, 3 of the 4 chargers are down (according to reviews left by others they've been down for a month). There is abline of 5 people waiting to use it since there is no Fast Charge within 50 miles of here. Called customer service, they have no ETA as to when it will be fixed and have no control as they contract out the work.
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
IMO this is what EA needs or something to this extent, although I wonder if this station has an actual Tech on site that can trouble shoot.

Shell, Exxon I doubt are just going to standby and watch Tesla/EA run EV charging. I know Circle K is also getting in the mix

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Do any EEs here (do we even have any?) have an opinion on which will be better when AC Level 3 or DC Level 3 is finally defined and implemented?
I’m a retired EE with no hands-on experience with EV charging systems, but I’ll provide my opinion based on what I think AC level 3 will be.

Since AC charging requires the actual charger (power conversion equipment) to be in the vehicle, I think DC is the better choice. Having the weight and expense of that equipment in the car where it will be grossly underutilized (compared to comparable land-based equipment) is a huge negative.

The only plus I see with AC level 3 is that smaller charge cables are required. 480V 3 phase is about 1.2 amps per KW, while 400V DC is 2.5 amps per KW. Of course, vehicles with 800V architecture negate this advantage.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
Do any EEs here (do we even have any?) have an opinion on which will be better when AC Level 3 or DC Level 3 is finally defined and implemented?
I'm an EE but not sure what you are talking about with "AC Level 3" DC fast charging is the way to go, and since I have the Lightning and an Ioniq 5 it is easy to see that the vehicle design is a big part of the charging experience.
The Ioniq 5, with the 800V architecture, will charge from 10 to 80% in 18 minutes. All the 400V vehicles are much slower. There is a bit of a mis-match now with Tesla's older super chargers only designed for 400V but the V4 Supercharger rated for 1000 Volts so compatible with 800V vehicles. They are just rolling this one out in a few locations.
I will be disappointed if Ford does not use 800V technology on their new design for 2025. Most of the time the charge rate is no big deal but the 800V systems are just much better as they can deliver more power with less heat. Most of the DC fast chargers are limited by their cables- it's expensive and cumbersome to have cooled cables- much better to just follow Ohm's law and use the higher voltage.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
It'd be nice if they put some emphasis on fixing their network before adding these adapters. Currently at an EA station, 3 of the 4 chargers are down (according to reviews left by others they've been down for a month). There is abline of 5 people waiting to use it since there is no Fast Charge within 50 miles of here. Called customer service, they have no ETA as to when it will be fixed and have no control as they contract out the work.
EA has been terrible- many stories on Plugshare- and while EVGo and others have issues they at least respond. EA just sends out happy little emails about how they are "building a better charging network" while the reality is they operate at about 50% capacity at best.
Sponsored