First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning
Occupation
painter
How can I increase the amount of kWh charging on the 350 kWh electrify America fast charger? When I used them on my trip it only charged at 12-34 kWh. Why would it not charge any higher? It seems that if the charging station is capable of 350 kWh then it should charge at that rate. I don’t want to wait for 45 minutes to charge when they advertise the charging stations charge for 15 minutes for 80 % charge.
Does anyone know how to increase the charging rate?
Sponsored

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
How can I increase the amount of kWh charging on the 350 kWh electrify America fast charger? When I used them on my trip it only charged at 12-34 kWh. Why would it not charge any higher? It seems that if the charging station is capable of 350 kWh then it should charge at that rate. I don’t want to wait for 45 minutes to charge when they advertise the charging stations charge for 15 minutes for 80 % charge.
As stated above, the best you will see is 170ish for about 10 minutes, BUT you should get over 100 unless you are at a high state of charge (over 80%). if you are getting 12-34 at a low state of charge, it has to be SUPER cold or hot, otherwise something isnt right.

But also never assume Electrify America's equipment is functioning properly. Many times it isnt, hence why every owner wants to charge at Tesla.

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
kWh is a quantity. kW is a rate. They are not interchangeable.

EA chargers have active cooling on the cables. If that fails so the cables have no cooling, they drop down to 35ish kW maximum as a fail safe. Sounds like that's what happened to you. Maybe a different charger at the same location would have run at full speed.
Sponsored