First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette, F150 Lighnting, Mercedes GLC300
Occupation
retired
First road trip in my 23 Lariat ER. Worked out pretty well all things considered. I haven’t yet done the mind switch from ICE refueling to EV refueling/charging, so it seems like it took way longer and extended the driving day. The trip was approximately 380 miles one way from home to hotel in EL Paso TX. We charged to 100 before leaving home then did the listed charge stops:

Globe AZ EA chargers – worked really well only added 12% in 12 minutes 73 to 85 including the built in slowdown at 80.

Lordsburg NM Chevron EA – not so much 45 minutes to go from 25 to 80. The post was supposed to be capable of 350 but truck only pulled 128 for a few minutes then ramped to 95 and stayed there and yes I know the truck will never pull 350 but I expected more than 128.

Las Cruces NM Tesla – 31 minutes 31 to 75%. Used the original A2Z adapter, worked fine. According to Ford Pass the sustained input was 183 for a few then ramped to 100ish for the rest of the charge.

El Paso TX Tesla Desert Blvd north – 13 minutes 61 to 80 then red ring and charging stopped. I don’t know why, I disconnected did not change posts just left. The next day after driving a bit, same place different post went from 66-72 no red ring.

Las Cruces again same Tesla charger location (Roasted Rooster Coffee & Waffles) – 12 minutes for 61 to 80 no issues.

Lordsburg Chevron –quicker than the first time considering the slowdown at 80 in the charging curve 33 – 85 took 40 minutes. I used a different post.

Globe AZ – 10 minutes for 34-50. It’s all I needed to give me a warm and fuzzy going home. I didn’t need the 85 at Lordsburg seeing as I arrived with 34 in Globe lots of downhill and no headwind.

Home – FCSP set at 80 amps took 4 hours from 27 to 85% but we were sleeping so it doesn’t matter.

Weather was warmish 100s to low 90s as I went east. Leaving El Paso on Sunday weather was in the mid 60s warming as I went west to 105ish at home. Cruising was at the posted speed limit so, 60-65 on two lane highways, 75 on I-10 average consumption was 2.0 M/kWh over 812 miles including some around El Paso on Saturday. I saw as low as 1.6 on I-10 when I had a head wind eastbound climbing toward continental divide. I used Apple Car Play and Apple maps east bound because I like the percent battery at destination feature and as far as I know the truck does not do that. I did use built in nav along with the public charging page westbound just to give it a try. Find the charger you want in public charging, select Go nav plans route to charger. Works OK, knowing the name of the charging station really helps, arrival time was some of the info I wanted and was accurate.

Like I said at the beginning, I haven’t made the mind switch to full EV mode so driving the SOC down below 20 was not in the plan and I wanted to charge to at least 80 most of the time but went to 85 for the longer legs. Maybe as I take more road trips that will change. Wife was with me and stated she was happy I planned it the way I did. The truck was really comfortable and quiet, blue cruise worked great on the Interstate, adaptive worked good the rest of the time although I turned off lane centering cause I got tired of getting alerted every several seconds on sections of highway when the steering didn’t need input. Question is, would I take the truck on a longer road trip. I don't know, I'll decide when the time comes.
Sponsored