Ford Pass App connectivity and Ford Customer Service

Kbar8888

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
Like many others, my 2023 Lariat Lightning ER (delivered December 2022) hasn't reliably connected with the Ford Pass App. This post is about two issues: (1) the connectivity problem and (2) Ford's communication with customers regarding the problem.

My Lightning goes for weeks at a time without connecting and then, for inexplicable reasons, suddenly connects and then disconnects. It's very frustrating. Even more frustrating is the lack of accurate communication from Ford. I would understand if Ford simply said it's a problem and they are working to fix it. However, instead the dealership tells me they have no idea what's going on. And when I call the Ford Pass App help number, I hear different messages.

In January when I called, I was told an update was in the works and would be pushed out over the air in February. In February when I called, I was told that my vehicle is ready for the update, but I needed to visit the dealership in person. I made the first available appointment in March and dropped the truck off for an all-day appointment. However, 2 hours into the appointment, the dealer told me that when they plugged the truck in for the update, a message popped up that said not to install the software. So, I called Ford Pass App help line again and when they looked up my VIN they said my truck wouldn't be eligible for an update until April. This time they said it should come out over the air, but I might want to show up in person at the dealer instead. When I told the dealer this, they had no idea what was going on and repeatedly apologized for the poor communication. They also suggested I may want to not bring the truck in during April so that there can be some time to essentially let someone else be the guinea pig.

I know there are ideas for work-arounds such as disconnecting the negative terminal or pulling fuse 32. But I don't really feel comfortable doing either on my brand new truck (and my dealer advised against it when I mentioned it).

I love the truck so far and I count the connectivity issue as relatively minor in the scheme of things. However, I also think that it's a reasonable request for Ford to provide accurate and reliable information, even if that information is "we don't know how to fix this but we are working on it."
Sponsored

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Good news! The fix was just sent out OTA.

Bad news, in order to get the fix that fixes your OTA capabilities you need OTA. Meaning you will have to reset the modem by pulling the 12v or the fuse.