Sponsored

Forging creeks

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Hello ⚡ folks,
I'm a relative EV newbie, I was pondering a dilemma.
In my area, we have been experiencing heavy rains here in the SF Bay area.
With my 06 Taco 4x4, & work Trucks, I had forged large puddles occasionally, pushing non flowing water to get to the other side.
What is the capability of the Lightning?, would you try it? or would it be, water & electricity don't mix?
Any thoughts, or your experience in a similar situ.
Thank you for any insights....
Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
There was a post during flood in the past where a guy showed a video of him fording water up to his bumper and he reported no adverse effects. I've seen others post what Ford's official guidance is, but don't recall specifics. You'll be mostly fine until you aren't.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Pretty standard guidance in any vehicle is to not go past your axle, and to not cross water where you can't see the bottom. That being said, all the electronics should be sealed and probably won't have any issues if you go to the bottom of your doors. But The cabin and frunk aren't waterproof if submerged, so you're running a risk there. Also, if you're near the coast I'd avoid any chance of running through saltwater, as that's just inviting rust.

Last edited:

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
I have a stream I ford during the winter months when I go into town. Usually 6" to 18" deep and 30 feet across. If its more than 2 feet I will usually wait for it to go down. Its concrete lined at the crossing so no issues with sinking deeper. I have had no problems crossing it in the year I have owned the truck

Sponsored

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
Only issue I had had and I'm not sure its an issue but when water gets to a certain depth, the front cooling fans will hit the water which is probably not good for them.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Good question, and good tips in the responses. When I work in Louisiana sometimes the swamp water comes up when going over mats. I think low bumper level in standing water is the highest I've had to go through. I'd hope/assume Ford would have this covered on the F150 since it's expected to be used as a truck.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Not specific to the Lightning, but be advised that crossing water of unknown depth is particularly hazardous if that water is moving. The guys I travel with in Central America who have "snorkels" say that, even though the intake is protected and the engine will still run, the snorkel is a false sense of security.

When a truck gets into water that rises up its doors, the buoyancy of the vehicle comes into effect. The truck loses its grip on the ground and the water pressure on the side of the vehicle overcomes the grip on the road.

The Lightning, being heavy, would be better in those situations, but be very careful crossing streams or moving floodwaters of unknown depth.

OP
OP
MaintGrl

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Not specific to the Lightning, but be advised that crossing water of unknown depth is particularly hazardous if that water is moving. The guys I travel with in Central America who have "snorkels" say that, even though the intake is protected and the engine will still run, the snorkel is a false sense of security.

When a truck gets into water that rises up its doors, the buoyancy of the vehicle comes into effect. The truck loses its grip on the ground and the water pressure on the side of the vehicle overcomes the grip on the road.

The Lightning, being heavy, would be better in those situations, but be very careful crossing streams or moving floodwaters of unknown depth.
While I did mention forging creeks, I also DID mention "non flowing water", as that is how a lot of folks lose their cars & Lives by going through streams that wash the vehicle away.
Thanks for all the replies . . I appreciate it
I do Like what @VAF84 said . .
"I'd hope/assume Ford would have this covered on the F150 since it's expected to be used as a truck."

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I would say, from a non-engineering view, that "pushing non-flowing water" would be too deep for me to take my $80,000 truck. YOUR work truck that someone else insures and tells you to go across, sure. Me, I'd stay with bottom of hub.
Sponsored

Last edited: