• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Glare Free light operation

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
(wall of text)

Glare-free lights, or matrix headlights, are a total game changer! While you might not notice much difference in the city, they really shine (pun intended) on remote highways and two-lane roads. As a lighting enthusiast (I even build my own flashlights—one of which is a customized 18,000-lumen "pocket" light), this feature was one of the things I was most excited about.

Not long ago, I did a 2,000-mile trip over a weekend, and honestly, watching the headlights in action kept me going at 2 AM on my way home. The way the lights blackout around a vehicle in front of you while still illuminating the ditches on both sides with full high beams? Incredible. At one point, I’m pretty sure a couple of cars were following me just to enjoy my lights!

In short, the high beam is broken into multiple zones. It selectively turns off certain areas while keeping others lit. When you're following someone, the system uses low beams directly in front but maintains high beams to either side. For oncoming traffic, it dims zones as cars approach and then lights them back up once they've passed. It even works on divided highways, dimming for traffic on the other side while keeping your lane and the right shoulder fully illuminated.

From what I can tell, it uses the windshield camera and light intensity sensors to decide when to shut off certain zones. Interestingly, it doesn't trigger just from semi-trailer marker lights over a hill, but it will for tail lights. It's pretty good at avoiding reflections, though any bright light source will cause it to dim that zone.

Road signs? That’s where it gets interesting. The system seems to "test" the reflection by fluttering the light: it dims, brightens, dims again, and if it picks up the same pattern, it goes full high beam again. Pretty clever, actually!

I did notice that when any zones are darkened, the overall brightness of the lights dips a bit, but once all zones are active, the entire beam gets slightly brighter. My guess is that this reduces glare for oncoming drivers.

The only downside I’ve experienced is when passing semi-trucks. If their marker lights aren’t strong, the high beams can flare up just before you clear their side mirrors.

One more thing: keep the camera area and headlights clean! I noticed a significant lag in how quickly the zones adjust when the camera area was dirty—something as simple as bug guts can slow down the response. A quick cleaning made the system snappy again. Also, dirty headlights create a ton of glare for oncoming traffic, so it’s worth keeping those spotless.

[full disclaimer, chatGPT may have helped fix my brutalization of the English language but isn't responsible for any of the content...]
Sponsored

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I enabled them on mine as well with Forscan. I live in mid-nowhere. Forest and farm fields. It's amazing! The black square tracking a vehicle in front of you is so cool. Even on the highway, low beams ahead and the shoulder still lit up with high beams.

OP
OP
Firn

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
I enabled them on mine as well with Forscan. I live in mid-nowhere. Forest and farm fields. It's amazing! The black square tracking a vehicle in front of you is so cool. Even on the highway, low beams ahead and the shoulder still lit up with high beams.
Coming from deer country they were a godsend.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I am one of the few people who actually saw a benefit from swiveling headlights years ago and these matrix lights are fantastic evolution. Canadian trucks had them enabled from the start and I absolutely love them.

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
I just noticed my matrix headlights working tonight on highways within Arlington County, Virginia... and this is a pretty densely populated area.

Between their swiveling turn function and their zone-dimming function, I agree these matrix headlights are a game changer. They help with pedestrians and bicyclists as well.

It's the best FORScan mod I did so far on my Lightning XLT.
Sponsored