• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Got my invitation to order a Cybertruck today

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro w/ Tow Tech Package
Just got my email invite to order a Cybertruck. Thought I really wanted one and that they looked cool, but now seeing the real thing, and driving the Lightning, I don't think so. I have seen one in person for a few seconds in oncoming traffic in my town, and it looked small in person. I'm just not loving the way the final design looks. I have had several people compliment the way my truck looks. That means a lot given that we're in truck country here - in my neighborhood of like 20 houses, only one or two people don't have at least one truck.

I REALLY love my Lightning, but wish I had the ER. I did a road trip to D.C. this week and had to rent a car. So humiliating... Just not feasible to add more hours onto a 10+ hour trip with the kids and my Type-A sister (to be fair, I'm also impatient). Not to mention range anxiety since I don't have my adapter yet. And we ended up with a Bronco. It was awful! I can't imagine going back to something like that. The kids barely fit in the back seat, and it was all black so didn't even look cool! Anyway...

Huge reason I don't think I can do the Cybertruck is the frunk. No way I could give up all of that storage space for groceries alone - mine would not fit in there. Also, we do construction stuff and I really do use every inch of storage including the cab when picking up materials. The Cybertruck bed also appears to be less useful. I think the back seat is smaller too, and we have an adult in the middle back seat often enough that it's a concern.

One thing I think I would REALLY, REALLY like is the steering. Had an embarrassing incident the other day trying to park where I had to back in and out like 5 times to get into a space because the space was narrow and there was not a lot of space between the curb for the lot and the space. Also, at my gym the other day backing out and going around a corner I had to do a weird three point turn and my instructor rolled down her window and shouted, "You know I'm laughing at you, right?"

And I think I don't even need to mention price. I got the price protection on mine so....
Sponsored

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Cancelled mine when I got the same email. I hope they enjoyed my $100 loan. It’s too bad Tesla wound up delivering nothing they said they would.

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat ER. Less Tech than CT 😘
Occupation
Database developer
I received the invite literally as I was signing for my Lightning, back in March. I laughed and kept signing. I could have 2 Lightnings for the price of 1 CT. I do like the CT. Not a fan of how it looks, but I like the tech, seating position, features. Price is (way!) too much and I think it needs to bake a while longer still.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Just got my email invite to order a Cybertruck. Thought I really wanted one and that they looked cool, but now seeing the real thing, and driving the Lightning, I don't think so. I have seen one in person for a few seconds in oncoming traffic in my town, and it looked small in person. I'm just not loving the way the final design looks. I have had several people compliment the way my truck looks. That means a lot given that we're in truck country here - in my neighborhood of like 20 houses, only one or two people don't have at least one truck.

I REALLY love my Lightning, but wish I had the ER. I did a road trip to D.C. this week and had to rent a car. So humiliating... Just not feasible to add more hours onto a 10+ hour trip with the kids and my Type-A sister (to be fair, I'm also impatient). Not to mention range anxiety since I don't have my adapter yet. And we ended up with a Bronco. It was awful! I can't imagine going back to something like that. The kids barely fit in the back seat, and it was all black so didn't even look cool! Anyway...

Huge reason I don't think I can do the Cybertruck is the frunk. No way I could give up all of that storage space for groceries alone - mine would not fit in there. Also, we do construction stuff and I really do use every inch of storage including the cab when picking up materials. The Cybertruck bed also appears to be less useful. I think the back seat is smaller too, and we have an adult in the middle back seat often enough that it's a concern.

One thing I think I would REALLY, REALLY like is the steering. Had an embarrassing incident the other day trying to park where I had to back in and out like 5 times to get into a space because the space was narrow and there was not a lot of space between the curb for the lot and the space. Also, at my gym the other day backing out and going around a corner I had to do a weird three point turn and my instructor rolled down her window and shouted, "You know I'm laughing at you, right?"

And I think I don't even need to mention price. I got the price protection on mine so....
If Ford adds steer by wire someday, maybe in their NextGen Lightning, it would make the Lightning and even better option. And while they are at it, make it 48 volts, and it will outsell the Cybertruck IMO. Can't beat the frunk of the Lightning!

OP
OP

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro w/ Tow Tech Package
Hmmmm... what to do with a hundred bucks...

Strangely while I find parking lots a challenge, parallel parking in a tiny spot is no big deal. I can do that just fine since I have all of the cameras with the Tow Technology package.

Sponsored

rg7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
The Cybertruck is awesome. But it doesn't fit my needs. You're spot on about the frunk and the backseat, there's no way I could give up that space at this point.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Got my Cybertruck invite a few months back. But while I was waiting for the Cybertruck, I ended up buying a Lightning Pro and have been driving it for almost 2 years now.

Not that the Cybertruck is all that bad - it seems to be a very capable EV truck. A couple things that would be a step down on the CT would be the limited rear visibility, smaller back seat, smaller overall interior, power tonneau cover (they always break / jam), weird looks, standard tires.

If the Lightning had not come out, I might still be interested in the CT But the Lightning was way better than I expected it would be.

Also the huge price difference. Bought the 2022 Lightning Pro SR with max tow and tow tech for just around $40k after the tax rebate. The Cybertruck AWD would be over $100k.

Now that the Lightning can charge at many Tesla Supercharger sites, there is not really any compelling reason to want a Cybertruck.

(Also no desire to support that political idiot and rich prick, Elon Musk, but those are topics for another forum.)

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I got past the looks, the front looks good, the rear is a disaster and the sides make it stand out.

The interior though is truly cheap for a $100k and even an $80K car. They didn't even have the decency to give it the Model X or S treatment. Instead they gave it the Model 3/Y treatment.

Upstate

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT
I also got an invitation to purchase a model where the base price was $100,000. Of course, I signed up and sent a hundred bucks for the promise of a $39,000 pick up truck that looked like a stretched out Delorean, with all the bells and whistles promised too.

What was offered was significantly more expensive (250% more expensive), with fewer of the promised add ons (now options or limited time options) and with an early reputation for being utterly unreliable, poorly finished and lackluster (by comparison) in performance. The upkeep on the Stainless Steel body turned me off too. Who wants to be wiping off surface grime and rust all the time. It's a pick up for heaven's sake!

As much fun as it would have been to get the most unusual looking vehicle since the Pontiac Aztek, I will probably pass and ask for my hundred dollars back. They can hold on to it for a while longer as it keeps me on their mailing list for other specials like low or zero financing on a different Tesla or a modest $ off offer. Of course, since Federal rebates have largely gone away for these purchases (and now income based), the whole line up is less attractive. With new models coming out every day from other manufacturers and the emerging impact of Chinese competition (even with the new tariffs), Tesla will be forced to step up their game. The best things they or any EV manufacturer could do is improve range (I know it doesn't matter as much as people think, but it does matter a bit and people think it means more!) and continue toward price parity.

For now, I'll stick to my fun to drive, fun to own and (sigh) fun to lend F-150 Lightning.

Flipper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT, ER, Lightning, 312A, Azure Gray
Occupation
Sales Engineer
cancelled my reservation as soon as I picked up the lightning. I wasn't going to buy that cybertruck anyway. Just loving my Lightning and so happy to not be driving the Superduty Diesel I replaced. Love this so much my 2018 Tesla model 3 is collecting alot of dust.

Commodore

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, XLT Lightning
Occupation
Pharmacist
Got my Cybertruck invite today. Made the reservation when I first ordered my 2023 Lightning, so it hasn't been that long ago.

They must have many cancellations...
Sponsored