Having issues with the onboard power

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro and 2012 Expedition Fleet
I have the 2.4kw system, and was successful in installing a generator transfer switch with a neutral switching ez transfer switch to a generator transfer panel. It was working great shortly after I installed it, and I needed it the other night as my house batteries were drawn dead (I live off grid). Which is not an often occurrence so I’ve only needed this system once. Anyways! I can’t figure out why it was working there and it’s not working now. The only things I can think of is some update that the lightning did, or me futzing with forscan when I was putting in the trailer brake controller. And when I installed the trailer brake controller the only values I messed with were the trailer values. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Ford F-150 Lightning Having issues with the onboard power IMG_5479
Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
I have the 2.4kw system, and was successful in installing a generator transfer switch with a neutral switching ez transfer switch to a generator transfer panel. It was working great shortly after I installed it, and I needed it the other night as my house batteries were drawn dead (I live off grid). Which is not an often occurrence so I’ve only needed this system once. Anyways! I can’t figure out why it was working there and it’s not working now. The only things I can think of is some update that the lightning did, or me futzing with forscan when I was putting in the trailer brake controller. And when I installed the trailer brake controller the only values I messed with were the trailer values. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

IMG_5479.jpeg
I notice there is a 15A(?) reset breaker button on the EZ Generator Switch.
Does it need to be "reset" I wonder?
Perhaps the load drew too much current for the EZ switch reset breaker?
The EZ swtich seems to be rated for 125V 15A.

Another thought: The Lightning may limit the available ProPower on-board depending on the state of the HV battery and the settings in the ProPower menu.
There are various YouTube videos about how to set the ProPower on-baord via the truck menu.

I guess a question I have is why did you add the EX Switch to the Nature's Generator Power Transfer Switch Kit which usually comes with a receptacle for plugging in a source generator?

I note that the Nature's Generator Power Transfer Switch Kit is also limited to 15A.

So if you are trying to draw more than 15A, the set up won't work.

Note that start-up currents on things with motors/compressors, like refrigerators and furnace blower motors is larger than their running current. So starting them one at a time might prevent overloading the 15A breakers in the set up.

Good luck.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Another thought: The Lightning may limit the available ProPower on-board depending on the state of the HV battery and the settings in the ProPower menu.
There are various YouTube videos about how to set the ProPower on-board via the truck menu.

I guess a question I have is why did you add the EX Switch to the Nature's Generator Power Transfer Switch Kit which usually comes with a receptacle for plugging in a source generator?

I note that the Nature's Generator Power Transfer Switch Kit is also limited to 15A.

Note that start-up currents on things with motors/compressors, like refrigerators and furnace blower motors is larger than their running current. So starting them one at a time might prevent overloading the 15A breakers in the set up.

So maybe when you initially tested it, you weren't dealing with any start-up currents?

Good luck.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PS: From EZ Generator Switch web site:

Each application is different. You need to determine what is essential and the total running amps or wattage of each circuit. Then, it is just simple math to determine your generator size: 120 volts x ampere rating listed = wattage.

We add 125% for motor start up, this is the initial draw your generator will see:
Example:

120 volts x 3 amps (listed on nameplate of motor) = 360 watts running power.

125% x 360 watts = 450 watts.

Add the original 360 watts plus 450 watts = 810 watts of startup power.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Hard to help without more details. What’s the state of the truck (SoC, “On” state, etc), any error messages, any lights, does plugging something directly into the truck work?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

There are various YouTube videos about how to set the ProPower on-baord via the truck menu.

Good luck.
So like I said, it worked fine at one point. The EZ switch is to deal with the bonded neutral issue. I’m very familiar with the system and installed it myself. I’ve broken it down to just trying to power 1 lamp with this system. My battery’s SOC is like 65%. I’ve checked every parameter I can to figure out what’s going on. Nothings overloading the system. I’ve shut off all power to my house and I can’t figure it out.

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hard to help without more details. What’s the state of the truck (SoC, “On” state, etc), any error messages, any lights, does plugging something directly into the truck work?
The outlets and truck are functioning as normal. Everything is gravy there. Trucks SOC is 60%+ and the battery reserve is set to like 10 miles
Sponsored