• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How automakers’ disappointment in EA drove them into Tesla’s arms

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I use my Lightning as a daily driver, charging at home every night. Will not travel with it until the charging network becomes reliable for the Lightning.
I loved traveling in the MME, and can't wait to do some road trips in the F150L, TSC or EA. Maybe it's because many of my trips head to CA and their notoriously high gas prices. Having a consistent cost/mile is great, and often gets cheaper when I can get some free charges in here and there. The comfort in the truck is great for long trips, and maybe it's just me, I like having to take some breaks every couple hours. We get on forums and complain about the times we got stuck charging slow, or some other BS, but even with craptastic EA, I still had probably 90% positive experiences that, at worst, required me to move the car to a different charger.

I will drive by 3 EA stations to get to a Tesla one.
Im my experience in the South West, that doesn't happen, there are 4 TSCs before there's an EA. And where there's an EA, there's usually a bigger better TSC next door. Tesla's going to be able to set the price for awhile before competition figures things out enough to compete.
Sponsored

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
funny, because we travel with ours all the time, even towing our camper... you just have to plan. Plan. and more Planning.... it's doable, but not for everyone.
How far do you get towing a camper? I want to get one and I have a Pro also; was looking at the trailmanor style campers...

drummer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model S, 2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat,
CHARGER Locations and Reliability is the MAIN factors for EV adoption, period.
RANGE is not the real issue, as many will claim, and even SPEED is not the main concern - RELIABILITY and FINDING a Charger are the ultimate needs.

CONFIDENCE that charging will WORK when you arrive is paramount.
Tesla owners are confident, that's why their charging network is so enjoyed. I don't see or hear about Tesla owners concerned about speed, they just enjoy KNOWING that they will be charged.
100% why I have never taken my Lightning on a road trip but have been taking 'Teslacations' since 2015 when it was a little more difficult. In 2023 (now 2024) we just get in the car and go. We've had our Teslas to more than 30 states and now it more or less drives itself. Our 2023 Model S charges significantly faster than our 2015 did and with its longer range the car has more range than our bladders.

Looking forward to the day when I can have the depth and reliability of the SuperCharging network for my Lightning (even if it's getting replaced by a Cybertruck mid-late 2024.

OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
100% why I have never taken my Lightning on a road trip but have been taking 'Teslacations' since 2015 when it was a little more difficult. In 2023 (now 2024) we just get in the car and go. We've had our Teslas to more than 30 states and now it more or less drives itself. Our 2023 Model S charges significantly faster than our 2015 did and with its longer range the car has more range than our bladders.

Looking forward to the day when I can have the depth and reliability of the SuperCharging network for my Lightning (even if it's getting replaced by a Cybertruck mid-late 2024.
I agree with all of that. I've had nothing but great experiences with the Tesla network, and it's grown by leaps and bounds over the four years I've been driving electric.

It's probably a good thing your Lightning isn't being replaced with an early-build Cybertruck. The early reports on its charge curve don't look great, so they might not be good road trippers until they get that sorted out. I made a reservation last summer, but I'm in no hurry. Cybertruck may or may not happen for me depending on what the market looks like when my number comes up.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
How far do you get towing a camper? I want to get one and I have a Pro also; was looking at the trailmanor style campers...
I looked at the TrailManor and ended up with a HiLo.

The deciding factor for me was that the last thing I want to do when I pull into a campsite or in a parking lot late at night is to assemble it…

I have gone nearly 200 miles towing my 25’ HiLo before stopping in my ER. I haven’t gone far enough to need to disconnect and DCFC yet, choosing instead to stay overnight somewhere instead.

Sponsored
OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I looked at the TrailManor and ended up with a HiLo.

The deciding factor for me was that the last thing I want to do when I pull into a campsite or in a parking lot late at night is to assemble it…

I have gone nearly 200 miles towing my 25’ HiLo before stopping in my ER. I haven’t gone far enough to need to disconnect and DCFC yet, choosing instead to stay overnight somewhere instead.
That's good to hear; range is a big concern of mine. How tall is your HiLo?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
CHARGER Locations and Reliability is the MAIN factors for EV adoption, period.
RANGE is not the real issue, as many will claim, and even SPEED is not the main concern - RELIABILITY and FINDING a Charger are the ultimate needs.

CONFIDENCE that charging will WORK when you arrive is paramount.
Tesla owners are confident, that's why their charging network is so enjoyed. I don't see or hear about Tesla owners concerned about speed, they just enjoy KNOWING that they will be charged.
That is all true within limits. If you have a vehicle with sub 100mi range at 100% charge (ideal conditions) and it takes 2 hours to charge 20% to 80%, I don't care how good the charging network is, that is an around town runabout only.

OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
It’s 6.5’ tall in the down position.
Looks good, thanks! How fast were you going to hit that near-200 mile range?

This was the entire purpose of buying my Lightning last November, and I've only done have one 90-mile test run. I got around 1.2 mi/kWh at 60 MPH, which had me concerned.

Ford F-150 Lightning How automakers’ disappointment in EA drove them into Tesla’s arms 233B3C66-64D5-45F4-9103-6484F1839448_1_105_c

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Looks good, thanks! How fast were you going to hit that near-200 mile range?

This was the entire purpose of buying my Lightning last November, and I've only done have one 90-mile test run. I got around 1.2 mi/kWh at 60 MPH, which had me concerned.

233B3C66-64D5-45F4-9103-6484F1839448_1_105_c.jpeg
Varied between 40-75mph and through the mountains. The HiLo is quite hefty so there’s a good amount of regen feeding back. At a steady 70mph, it’ll bounce around 1.4-1.6mi/kWh.

I’m quite happy with the range I’m getting with it. I should note I’m using a Weigh Safe WDH. I do weigh and air appropriately for each trip as I’ve found the pitch of my truck did impact my efficiency.

Sponsored

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Varied between 40-75mph and through the mountains. The HiLo is quite hefty so there’s a good amount of regen feeding back. At a steady 70mph, it’ll bounce around 1.4-1.6mi/kWh.

I’m quite happy with the range I’m getting with it. I should note I’m using a Weigh Safe WDH. I do weigh and air appropriately for each trip as I’ve found the pitch of my truck did impact my efficiency.
That is quite amazing, considering that I get 1.5 at 70-75 against the wind with no trailer. I have done this a number of times from Columbus to Corpus Christi, TX. Charge to 90% (Lariat ER) and barely make it home. But you are getting 1.5 at 70 with a trailer?

Reactions: GDN

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
That is quite amazing, considering that I get 1.5 at 70-75 against the wind with no trailer. I have done this a number of times from Columbus to Corpus Christi, TX. Charge to 90% (Lariat ER) and barely make it home. But you are getting 1.5 at 70 with a trailer?
Never towed in TX so can't comment on that. But yes and as high as 1.7 @ 70mph, lowest I've gotten in the Lightning is 1.2mi/kWh with this trailer in tow so far. My lifetime average is 2.1mi/kWh for truck only so I don't have a freak of a truck, but 1.5mi/kWh with this trailer in tow.

Just last week I even said to the wife as I was fighting high headwinds and cold weather "This is absurd, I'm getting 1.5mi/kWh, that's what I get with the trailer in tow!"

My first trip details here in this thread, but it's been consistent through the season:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...htning-pulled-great-better-than-rivian.15096/

OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
The coincidence is killing me. I use a Weigh Safe hitch, but not their WD kit.

Ford F-150 Lightning How automakers’ disappointment in EA drove them into Tesla’s arms IMG_1203 Lar
]
Ford F-150 Lightning How automakers’ disappointment in EA drove them into Tesla’s arms IMG_1205 Lar

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
The coincidence is killing me. I use a Weigh Safe hitch, but not their WD kit.

IMG_1203 Large.jpeg
]
IMG_1205 Large.jpeg
I think the pitch was ruining my aero, catching more air than I needed underneath. The high rake (I suspect) ends up directing the airflow a bit better too.

I have the HD WDH kit right now, but I’m considering switching to their LD one to shorten the length and hopefully improve efficiency next season.
Sponsored