• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

wiffleballpractice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat SR, XC40 Recharge, XC90, Cayman
Occupation
Pretend Electrical Engineer
Genuinely curious the difference here, because it is not clicking with me.
I'd bet the difference is just that the 2 subsystems were engineered by different teams/vendors who did not have the same set of requirements. I would suggest trying not to think about it so much because it seems really unlikely to change. Might as well invest that energy in wiring up a 20amp 240 outlet and buying a cheap portable evse for it.
Sponsored

2bacons

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat (Atlas Blue)
I used my truck here in Michigan to power my sump pump, fridge, some device charging, internet, and (gas) furnace for 26 hours and only used about 14% of the cold battery. My wife kept commenting on how she is happy I bought the truck!

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I'd bet the difference is just that the 2 subsystems were engineered by different teams/vendors who did not have the same set of requirements. I would suggest trying not to think about it so much because it seems really unlikely to change. Might as well invest that energy in wiring up a 20amp 240 outlet and buying a cheap portable evse for it.
I have a FCSP and am very happy with it. It did take a few weeks after delivery of the truck and 20amp (16 draw) would have gotten me thru those few weeks without needing to touch a public charger. Also going to our family cabin 20amp outlets are readily available in the garage and would be good enough over a weekend. 15amp probably not.

All that said, the real argument. CEO Farley can’t go 2 minutes without talking about competing with Tesla so I’m going to hold Ford to that standard. Tesla has the ability to charge at > 12 amp draw on 120v.

Stop making excuses for poor execution on Fords behalf.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Didn't really mean to kick off so much anxiety here, just wanted to reduce some potential risk of fire in the future.

The way this is protected in your home is by having a breaker set for the houses wiring, but you could use a 15 amp extension cord on a 20 amp outlet in your home and achieve this same result. My concern is that this is a fair bit more than 20 amps on a single 5-20p outlet, and it looks like the truck might let you draw as much as 30 amps on a normal extension cord from the bed outlets, which is a really bad idea. They should really have 15 or 20 amp breakers somewhere in the system; I'd put them on pairs of 120 outlets.
I had the same concern - 20A outlets drawing 30A for a sustained period of time would worry me.
20A outlets with no overcurrent protection (breakers)? What could go wrong?

EDIT: So must be a split phase inverter driving the bed circuits with the 120v's on opposite sides of the split something like this. And with 30A available from the inverter.
Ford F-150 Lightning Ice Storm Power Outage — Pro Power Onboard to the Rescue! split phase inverter
Sponsored

Last edited: