• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

J+ Booster 2 charging issues

Marty80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ Lightning Platinum
I have a J+ Booster 2 for a little over a year now. I’ve used it multiples times however I cannot get more than 1.2 kWh charging rate on a 30amp circuit (campsite with electricity for RV’s in Ontario, Canada). I have the TT-30 J+Booster adapter that fits with the EVSE. Are other users getting the same rate or am I doing something wrong here?

On another note, still with the same J+Booster 2, we tried charging the Lightning on generator (Champion 11250W, model 201218) but could not get it to charge the Lightning in either the NEMA 14-50 plug or the NEMA L14-30R socket. We managed to get the EVSE to « work » using an adapter in the 14-50 to convert to TT-30 but, although the truck was actually showing getting 1 kWh charging rate, ended up losing 3% of battery over 4 hours on the generator. Can someone help me out finding out what the issue was? Although the generator can produce a steady 9000W, i did plug in the 14-50 adapter in the 14-50 outlet and downgraded the J+Booster 2 to 24amp (since the unit indicated 37.5amp in the 14-50 socket). When doing this, i am getting an error right away on the charger.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

Ford F-150 Lightning J+ Booster 2 charging issues IMG_8170
Sponsored

Nikola 369

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Sales Engineer
I have a J+ Booster 2 for a little over a year now. I’ve used it multiples times however I cannot get more than 1.2 kWh charging rate on a 30amp circuit (campsite with electricity for RV’s in Ontario, Canada). I have the TT-30 J+Booster adapter that fits with the EVSE. Are other users getting the same rate or am I doing something wrong here?

On another note, still with the same J+Booster 2, we tried charging the Lightning on generator (Champion 11250W, model 201218) but could not get it to charge the Lightning in either the NEMA 14-50 plug or the NEMA L14-30R socket. We managed to get the EVSE to « work » using an adapter in the 14-50 to convert to TT-30 but, although the truck was actually showing getting 1 kWh charging rate, ended up losing 3% of battery over 4 hours on the generator. Can someone help me out finding out what the issue was? Although the generator can produce a steady 9000W, i did plug in the 14-50 adapter in the 14-50 outlet and downgraded the J+Booster 2 to 24amp (since the unit indicated 37.5amp in the 14-50 socket). When doing this, i am getting an error right away on the charger.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

IMG_8170.jpeg
It’s not the charger, it’s the truck. The lightning has a very slow rate when at 120 volts. The charger will charge faster, but needs to be on 240 volt. Try out a 240 volt outlet at the campgrounds, will see a huge differenc.

OP
OP

Marty80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ Lightning Platinum
Thanks Nikola! So if i understand correctly, even if i plug in the TT-30 in the 30amp socket at the campground, being limited by the Lightning on 120V, it won’t change much if I plug it in the 120v / 15 amp regular socket?

Just tried home on the 120v / 15 amp regular socket and the Ford Pass app was telling me the truck was getting 1.1 kWh.

As for the generator, just found out that adding a ground to the ground terminal on the generator will solve the charging issues! Will try it in two weeks

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks Nikola! So if i understand correctly, even if i plug in the TT-30 in the 30amp socket at the campground, being limited by the Lightning on 120V, it won’t change much if I plug it in the 120v / 15 amp regular socket?

Just tried home on the 120v / 15 amp regular socket and the Ford Pass app was telling me the truck was getting 1.1 kWh.

As for the generator, just found out that adding a ground to the ground terminal on the generator will solve the charging issues! Will try it in two weeks
You will only draw 12 amps on any 120v circuit. 1.44kW. After you subtract line loss and power to run the internal charger, 1.1kW sounds about right.

Last edited:

Nikola 369

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Sales Engineer

That is correct. The tt-30 is just 120v @ 30 amps and the truck when on 120 volts is very limited so it can safely run on 15 amp circuits. I also own a Chevy Volt and it charges at 16 amps so about the same.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Plarinum
Get a Southwire Neutral Ground Bonding Plug on Amazon for about $15 to solve your floating neutral issue on the generstor
Sponsored