Sponsored

Leaves in the radiator? Why is it designed like this?

bmm3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser
Fall has barely begun in Georgia and already have leaves back sitting on my radiator. Two obvious questions:

1. Every vehicle I have ever owned has a screen in front of the radiator. Why is this a massive hole in the bumper acting like a vacuum? Is it safe to cover it with a screen? I would think Ford would have done this if there wasn’t a reason.

2. Once you get junk in there (see pic) what’s the easiest way to get it out? It would be like a game of Operation to pull it out without breaking a louvre or damaging the radiator.

Ford F-150 Lightning Leaves in the radiator? Why is it designed like this? IMG_9297
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Fall has barely begun in Georgia and already have leaves back sitting on my radiator. Two obvious questions:

1. Every vehicle I have ever owned has a screen in front of the radiator. Why is this a massive hole in the bumper acting like a vacuum? Is it safe to cover it with a screen? I would think Ford would have done this if there wasn’t a reason.

2. Once you get junk in there (see pic) what’s the easiest way to get it out? It would be like a game of Operation to pull it out without breaking a louvre or damaging the radiator.

IMG_9297.jpeg
The correct answer is probably so they could have the Mega Power Frunk!
My answer is to make things more difficult for us owners!
If you get some kids to clean out the leaves they probably could get their small hands in there without breaking the louvers!

MTcowpoke

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many diesels and a Lightning
Occupation
Rancher
Blowgun on your air compressor and/or a shop vac? Compressed air will get those leave swirling in there and may blow right back out the opening.
Sponsored