• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Looking for decent tailggate pad for MTN bikes

richl025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Does anyone have a good solution for a tailgate pad that fits well & doesn't block the backup camera?

I bought the Yakima "Gatekeeper" ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HC57HNR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 )

It's just a touch too wide (you have to scrunch up the material at either end to clear the tailgate latches) but more problematic, it almost completely blocks the backup camera... even though on Yakima's website it looks like they have it installed on a F150 (not a lightning though)

I only need to carry 4 bikes max - so I was thinking two of the "Half" sized units?

Any suggestions? Reading about a few on Amazon it seems like they scratch the paint (poorly made, from China)
Sponsored

Webbo85

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2002 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Mech Engineer
So that's the exact pad I've used for the last year and a half. I haven't seen any that I like more. It is tight width wise, but with it cringled in at the edges the tailgate closes fine. Not sure what you mean by it blocks the camera, I've never had that issue. Where the camera is on my Lariat, it doesn't block mine at all. My only issue with all tailgate pads it seems is it can wear away at the where the down tube touches the pad. My son's Niner has clear plastic protecting the paint, but my Pivot doesn't. So I have roughly 4" x 4" x 1/4" thick silicone rubber I place at the contact point. And when I transport 4 bikes, I face two at opposite directions as to not block the camera. More bikes than that, not much you can do.

Ford F-150 Lightning Looking for decent tailggate pad for MTN bikes IMG_2248
Ford F-150 Lightning Looking for decent tailggate pad for MTN bikes IMG_3393

jplaplante

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT; 2023 Durango; 2018 Leaf
I purchased and use this one from Fox - got it on sale directly from their website:

Ford F-150 Lightning Looking for decent tailggate pad for MTN bikes IMG_3393
LARGE TAILGATE COVER [BLK] OS
Color/Size: Black | OS
Item #: 15694-001-OS

I need to fold back the flap that would otherwise block the camera - I just tuck it in underneath. It's also a little too wide and getting the straps around the tailgate can be a pain but I am guessing all of these have the same strap problem.

It takes up a chunk of space in the frunk when I am not using it.

OP
OP

richl025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
So that's the exact pad I've used for the last year and a half. I haven't seen any that I like more. It is tight width wise, but with it cringled in at the edges the tailgate closes fine. Not sure what you mean by it blocks the camera, I've never had that issue. Where the camera is on my Lariat, it doesn't block mine at all. My only issue with all tailgate pads it seems is it can wear away at the where the down tube touches the pad. My son's Niner has clear plastic protecting the paint, but my Pivot doesn't. So I have roughly 4" x 4" x 1/4" thick silicone rubber I place at the contact point. And when I transport 4 bikes, I face two at opposite directions as to not block the camera. More bikes than that, not much you can do.

Ford F-150 Lightning Looking for decent tailggate pad for MTN bikes {filename}
Ford F-150 Lightning Looking for decent tailggate pad for MTN bikes {filename}
Marc thanks for posting that pic!

Turns out I had the pad situated wrong - it seemed to naturally want to lie more "in the bed" when I set it up, which blocked the camera. After seeing your pic I re-adjusted and now it's sitting just like yours. Not to mention it's clearing the latch cutouts better. I'm a-gonna chalk this one up to user error :)
Sponsored