• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Made a new friend (Electric Chevrolet Silverado)

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Given the range and charging architecture, I plan to get my hands on a few of those and then spend a few $ on seat and interior upgrades.

That’s a much better deal than a Lariat or a Platinum at this time.
Remember, to get the 200kW Ultium battery pack, it will cost you plenty more (like the Lightning ER) to the tune of $80K.

The $50K WT will probably come with a 100kW battery (250 mile range).
Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
You've got to be kidding.... Even the software works???
It's running a full Android OS layer and GM partnered with Google for turn-key development. This also has a lot to do with why GM is dropping CarPlay, they're going with a full Android turn-key system. Having used the same software in my time playing with the Hummer EV, it all works pretty well. The interface pretty much sucks and leaves a lot to be desired, I don't really feel they have any advantage over Ford in that department, but it's snappy and lots of info and features. It has access to the Play Store although available apps are limited, it seems that apps need GM's approval to be there (for now).

Ford has said they're going Android, but it seems to keep slipping back and changing. I don't think they're giving up on their Sync interface, but rather bringing it onto a full Android base. It seems Sync 3 and now 4 since '21 have been using the Automotive Cockpit system from Blackberry. It uses an Android OpenSource Project as a base OS layer and runs a QNX front-end for automakers to build on. It was a way to quickly bring existing systems over to newer hardware without re-writing all their software. But it's a kludge...

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Remember, to get the 200kW Ultium battery pack, it will cost you plenty more (like the Lightning ER) to the tune of $80K.

The $50K WT will probably come with a 100kW battery (250 mile range).
It should be more efficient than the lightning, I bet it gets close to 300 for the lower range model.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
It should be more efficient than the lightning, I bet it gets close to 300 for the lower range model.
Is the Chevy Silverado EV a unibody or chassis on frame design ?

That may be the difference in efficiency?

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

It's a a hybrid unibody of sorts. The battery pack and some structural components for motors, drivetrain, etc.. bolt up underneath. The pack is structurally supportive of itself and adds to the rest of the vehicle. That's a big part of why these trucks, the Hummer EV, Lyriq, etc.. are so heavy. It also lets them build a much larger battery pack.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer

They're using a skateboard like Rivian, so it's not exactly the same as a unibody but it's also not a typical body on frame like the f-150.

Personally I don't see the obsession with the body on frame. The construction method used for the Silverado EV results in a much stronger and more rigid body structure. It will fare much better in crash safety tests as well.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
They're using a skateboard like Rivian, so it's not exactly the same as a unibody but it's also not a typical body on frame like the f-150.

Personally I don't see the obsession with the body on frame. The construction method used for the Silverado EV results in a much stronger and more rigid body structure. It will fare much better in crash safety tests as well.
Body on frame design has an advantage:

Collision repair costs.

If unibody, once the unibody caves in, it's almost impossible to rebuild it to retain the strength.
Most insurance companies will total it.

If body on frome, separate frame and body makes repairs more likely.

When I had a Toyota Tundra that got involved in a crash, the frame diamonded. The body shop was able to order the frame separate from the body and save the truck at an affordable price and not get totalled.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Aerodynamics is the same. Weight ( rolling resistance ) has much less impact on efficiency. I would expect one level (half) the batteries will be eliminated on low trim (100 KWh). City consumtion should not be that different from Lightning and highway same or slightly worse than Rivian. My guess is 260 mile max with much better payload than RST and either more headroom or better ground clearance.

Ford F-150 Lightning Made a new friend (Electric Chevrolet Silverado) 1689303962143

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Ya especially price, $100k+ for the foreseeable future. That $80k version that he's driving is exclusive to fleet orders at the moment. They promise a $50k version for retail customers but who knows if they'll ever actually make it.
Exactly.

How much is the Hummer and Lyriq ?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Exactly.

How much is the Hummer and Lyriq ?
Honestly both are so far off the radar for me I don't even know. The Hummer is like $120k or something ridiculous but they've made so few of them good luck ever getting a new one and I'm sure used prices are through the roof still.

Sponsored

69kWh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
It's too bad Chevy ditched the $40k WT trim. The next cheapest model will be around $72k. Now if the 500 mile range claim is real, it might justify the higher price tag...

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
It's running a full Android OS layer and GM partnered with Google for turn-key development. This also has a lot to do with why GM is dropping CarPlay, they're going with a full Android turn-key system. Having used the same software in my time playing with the Hummer EV, it all works pretty well. The interface pretty much sucks and leaves a lot to be desired, I don't really feel they have any advantage over Ford in that department, but it's snappy and lots of info and features. It has access to the Play Store although available apps are limited, it seems that apps need GM's approval to be there (for now).

Ford has said they're going Android, but it seems to keep slipping back and changing. I don't think they're giving up on their Sync interface, but rather bringing it onto a full Android base. It seems Sync 3 and now 4 since '21 have been using the Automotive Cockpit system from Blackberry. It uses an Android OpenSource Project as a base OS layer and runs a QNX front-end for automakers to build on. It was a way to quickly bring existing systems over to newer hardware without re-writing all their software. But it's a kludge...
Android isn't a technical reason not to support CarPlay. There are plenty of Android based aftermarket head units that support CarPlay just fine. It's just an app (and a dongle if your head unit doesn't have the right hardware).

And if GM didn't gate access to the Play store it would be the first (and last) app half their customers downloaded.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
It really depends on what you use your truck for. How many times have you removed the bed from your truck? Did you ever put it back on? What did you attach your custom bumpers to? How heavy is your 5th wheel? What kind of winch do you use? V-plow, or straight blade? Sail pillar in the way of your slide-in?

If those questions all seem ridiculous to you, then you probably don't care about body on frame. There's plenty of room in the market for lots of kinds of trucks. But to lots of people, a traditional frame is important because a new truck is just a starting point.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Android isn't a technical reason not to support CarPlay. There are plenty of Android based aftermarket head units that support CarPlay just fine. It's just an app (and a dongle if your head unit doesn't have the right hardware).

And if GM didn't gate access to the Play store it would be the first (and last) app half their customers downloaded.
Of course there is no technical reason, I never said there was. This is GM and Google, primarily Google, not supporting CarPlay by choice. It technically doesn’t support Android Auto either, but since it’s a full Android system it’s just like setting up another android device that shares all your stuff. For those running an android ecosystem, this is already better than AA. While I prefer CarPlay, I’m a tech guy and software developer and I use both Android and Apple, my biggest complaint here is how GM is currently gatekeeping app access to their store. Not sure what the eventual plan is here, but it seems there’s already a Waze app and a few others people are running native on the Hummer EV, which is the same system.

Ford has said they’re transitioning to a full android system. They also said they would not restrict CarPlay. We’ll see what happens, but as of now, Ford is definitely behind and below the curve on software integration.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Honestly both are so far off the radar for me I don't even know. The Hummer is like $120k or something ridiculous but they've made so few of them good luck ever getting a new one and I'm sure used prices are through the roof still.
I think the Lyriq is about $77,000 and the Hummer, like you said, $120,000.

I don't expect the Chevy Silverado, for consumers, to be inexpensive. That Work Truck version is $77,000 with pleather seats.
Sponsored