• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

NACS adapter modifications

Nuts&volts

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Has anyone here tried extending their NACS adapter?
I have been considering getting an adapter and cutting it in half, and extending all the connections by like 6 feet. My idea would end up with the adapter cut in two with some heavy cable (0 gauge welding cable) and some light cable (not sure how many, but they are just for signaling) stretching between the halves. Anyone else try something like this?

I feel like I should specify that I am totally comfortable dealing with high current and high voltage systems, I deal with worse shit on a daily basis.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Nuts&volts

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Im kinda banking on it having bus bars inside the adapter, much easier to attach a lug to and get a solid connection.

OP
OP

Nuts&volts

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
The
unless you design, build and test EVSE with intimate knowledge on how both the software and hardware function, I have to stress this seems like all the lawsuits waiting to happen.
alternative is installing a Tesla plug behind the “mock charge door” on the passenger side, but I’m hesitant to go cutting up my new truck 🤷🏻‍♂️. There isn’t really any electronics in the adapter as far as I know, just a few passive things like switches and temp sensors. I don’t see who would be filing a lawsuit.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
How do you plan to cool the cable you make?

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's sort of a silly exercise, since Tesla and A2Z are coming out with extensions. And, having charge with the truck at Tesla locations, it's also not necessary.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've now used MANY MANY Tesla Superchargers with my LECTRON adapter and have never had a need for any 'extension', although it's true that the initial thought might make you think you have to have one... it's not true.

Are there times and units that aren't situated well for us large trucks with front left-side charge ports: yes. But, it can be overcome by using another unit, or situating the truck correctly, and sometimes unconventionally, to get close enough, EVEN WITH A CAMPER.

If you arrive at a supercharger during the middle of the day, be prepared to struggle to find a space NO MATTER what type of vehicle you have.
If you arrive at a supercharger that doesn't have the optimal layout, be prepared to take measures to hop a curb, or situate your truck in a lane, etc... it is what it is.
Most of the time, though, none of that is required. Pull straight in and, yes, take two spaces, but, it's just how things work right now. I've done it several times, but yet there were not enough other 'teslas' to make an issue of it.
TIMING of your stops can also add to the ease, as EARLY and LATE are the best measures.

OP
OP

Nuts&volts

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I was intending it to be for dcfs only, making it switchable would make it too damned complex once you figure in all of the interlocking that would be required.
Sponsored