• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Estimated at $800 for access to 488 hours of discharging. If every hour the vehicle is discharging a full 9.6kW, this is 4,685 kWh of energy supplied. That works out to ~$0.17/kWh of delivered energy.

Also, 12.5 years to pay back if not valuing resiliency benefits if it takes $10k to install, at the full $800 per year benefit estimate, unless getting a 30% tax credit on it which would make it 8.75 years.
$0.17/kwh and thousands of dollars in equipment ain’t even close to being worth it. I’d rather save the yearly 10,000 miles of wear and tear on my drivetrain that this system would impose.
Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
I cannot wait until products like the HIS (but with greater reliability and lower cost) are more prevalent. Probably gonna be a while before that's the case though. Hopefully Ford will open up the software for 3rd party products at that time.

But to charge my truck at a discounted rate and then powering my house during peak demand periods and have it seemlessly switch back and forth is a dream of mine.
Do it with the ProPower On-Board up to 7.2kW through the 240v/30A outlet via a transfer switch.
And you could use extension cords to get the other 2.4kW from the 120v/20A outlets.

A lot less expensive than the HIS with install, which some have said cost them close to $10k, including the FCSP install.

The Home Integration System can be bought for $3900 at: https://his.aeesolar.com/s/product/...ble-ford-home-backup-power/01t1Q000008Hdl9QAC

Then you can have some one other than Sunrun install it (or DIY) if you like. Any good electrician should be able to handle it if they follow the instructions carefully.

Some on the thread, but not all, say they have had issues with Sunrun, including being unhappy with the price for the install. I called them myself in May 2024, but they said they were no longer installing solar in my county (Fairfax Virginia), I said what about the HIS, and they said they'd have some one get in touch with me - crickets so far.

Anyway, paying $10k for the extra 20A compared to what a $400 manual transfer switch and a $100 30A generator cord plugged in to the truck bed can do seems a stretch for me.

If I had a solar install to integrate with the truck output I might consider the $3900 HIS equipment. My understanding is the Lightning/FCSP was integrated into a previously existing solar/battery storage inverter backup system made by Sunrun. So it would be seamless to integrate solar into it.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
$0.17/kwh and thousands of dollars in equipment ain’t even close to being worth it. I’d rather save the yearly 10,000 miles of wear and tear on my drivetrain that this system would impose.
More like 1,600 miles of energy throughput based on the new 50kWh per week for 16 weeks. And value is more like $1/kWh based on the new information. But more important is that there are no moving parts here - can hardly call it use of the powertrain. A 131kWh battery will hardly even notice 5kW of charging or discharging.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hum, Thank you, while I do not have a 98kWh back up battery, I'll take my SunPower Battery system any day . . minutes for the system to know it's w/o power? Huh 🤔With my system, you NEVER know there's a power outage unless your looking at the batteries when the power goes out . .and . . .the truck can be running errands somewhere else at the time of the power outage,,,,
Do you have an Enphase system or what make/model?

Yes the Sunrun HIS takes a few minutes after loss of utility power to switch to the Lightning, according to YouTube videos of it in operation.

It seems to me, using the Lightning as the battery backup through a net metering arrangement might be a good idea if on a time of day plan and utility prices are very high during peak demand times, although they are usually during the daytime when the Lightning would be in use in the summer.

In my area on my time-of-day EV program, between 1am and 5am the cost is 4.8 cents/kWh.
The peak time is 1-7pm (7 hours) an the cost is 15.95 cents/kWh.

It is a hard calculation to make to decide whether the savings from using the Lightning for net metering is a good idea.

On the one hand some money would be saved at the inconvenience of not being able to drive the Lightning during those hours.

On the other hand, the battery probably has 1500 to 2000 lifetime charge cycles and the net metering would add additional charge cycles over what would be incurred through normal non-net metering use, thereby shortening it's lifetime some amount.

It might be insignificant, but I haven't tried to calculate it.

The BGE program 488 hours (June 1 and Sept 30 =122 days between 5-9pm =4 hours) for $800 ("estimated to be") is $1.64 per day.

I wondered if, on our time of day plan, during peak hours in the summer, based on how much we typically use in summer per day, how much it would save money to net meter during those peak hours.

On my plan, between 1-7pm summer, the rate is 15.95 cents/kWh.
We might use as much as 1130kWh a month in the summer, or about 38kWh per day.
Assuming constant usage at all hours, that would be about 38/7=5.43kWh during peak time in summer.

5.43kWh x 15.95 cents/kWh = about 87 cents per day
122 days x 87 cents = $106.14

Not sure it is worth the inconvenience to me of not having the Lightning for driving during those hours every day.

Seems to me, the utilities should be building their own solar and wind farms, and battery back-up facilities, rather than vampiring electricity they sold us back from Lightnings and other EV, to meet the net-zero emissions goals.

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
More like 1,600 miles of energy throughput based on the new 50kWh per week for 16 weeks. And value is more like $1/kWh based on the new information. But more important is that there are no moving parts here - can hardly call it use of the powertrain. A 131kWh battery will hardly even notice 5kW of charging or discharging.
50kW is about 38% of a charging cycle for a 131kWh battery.
Some estimates are 1500 to 2000 charge cycles for these EV batteries.
16 weeks x 38% = about 6 additional charging cycles
If it was all year, 52 weeks, then 52 x 38% = 19.76 additional charge cycles per year
So about 1.3% of the life of the battery per years, assuming 1500 charge cycles.

Seems like not a big deal if my numbers are right.

A bit higher if the battery is SR and 98kWh.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
50kW is about 38% of a charging cycle for a 131kWh battery.
Some estimates are 1500 to 2000 charge cycles for these EV batteries.
16 weeks x 38% = about 6 additional charging cycles
If it was all year, 52 weeks, then 52 x 38% = 19.76 additional charge cycles per year
So about 1.3% of the life of the battery per years, assuming 1500 charge cycles.

Seems like not a big deal if my numbers are right.

A bit higher if the battery is SR and 98kWh.
Yes, and those 1500 to 2000 cycles is probably an end of life number based on battery having 80% of original capacity (but still very useful).

LightningDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat standard range
Occupation
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist
I wonder how many HIS systems are functional and reliable enough to make this worth the effort?

Too many poor performance reports from our members who invested in the system just for home backup, never mind grid support.
i bought my 22 Lightning for it’s V2H capability using a Sunrun HIS, installed February ‘23. It worked perfectly until Feb ‘24 Ford Pass update which removed my Pro Charger from the truck disabling the HIS until early June allowed me to reconnect my Pro to the truck. It’s a three day process. The patch lasted until last Friday.

After a recall replacement of the truck’s battery module or ???? my Pro Charger needs to be reconnected to the truck as it’s home charger & the HIS is off x 2 days/awaiting reset tomorrow to perhaps get the HIS working again.

I’m very frustrated

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i bought my 22 Lightning for it’s V2H capability using a Sunrun HIS, installed February ‘23. It worked perfectly until Feb ‘24 Ford Pass update which removed my Pro Charger from the truck disabling the HIS until early June allowed me to reconnect my Pro to the truck. It’s a three day process. The patch lasted until last Friday.

After a recall replacement of the truck’s battery module or ???? my Pro Charger needs to be reconnected to the truck as it’s home charger & the HIS is off x 2 days/awaiting reset tomorrow to perhaps get the HIS working again.

I’m very frustrated
I can't seem to get FordPass connected to my FCSP. It finds it fine but won't do the final step - I get a "ChargePoint Not Found" error - whatever the Fudge that means.

Ford F-150 Lightning Nation's First F-150 Lightning Vehicle-To-Home Grid Support Successful (Operated by Sunrun) IMG_5643-connect to FordPass 4-error.JPG

So yet another reason to be wary of spending big bucks on the HIS.

For about $500-$600 I can have a 7200kW backup through a Generac 6853 manual transfer switch an 100 ft of generator cable.

Sponsored

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
That is a very valid question about the reliability of the existing HIS systems. I've had the HIS for backup power for almost 20 months now and it has gotten better but still has it's issues. Even when it is working as advertised, when a power outage occurs, it can take several minutes to detect it and supply power to the house.

The HIS works much better for this Grid Offset mode. At 5pm, it starts supplying power to the house and at 9pm it stops. During the switchover, there are no power fluctuations. The lights don't flicker and none of my multiple UPS's beep. I've been pleasantly surprised at how seamless the power switchover has been compared to the backup power mode.
I have solar powering my home and as a backup I just switch a reliance transfer to my generator receptical, connect my 240 volt receptical in my truck, turn on my truck, disable auto shutdown and charge my solar batteries which power my home. A little more complicated for most, but as a 75 year old retired electrician, a piece of cake, cheaper, less complicated, & more reliable than home integration system. Then on sunny days, I use my 13 kw solar system to charge my truck with my excess solar power.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
I can't seem to get FordPass connected to my FCSP. It finds it fine but won't do the final step - I get a "ChargePoint Not Found" error - whatever the Fudge that means.

IMG_5643-connect to FordPass 4-error.JPG

So yet another reason to be wary of spending big bucks on the HIS.

For about $500-$600 I can have a 7200kW backup through a Generac 6853 manual transfer switch an 100 ft of generator cable.
I have solar powering my home and as a backup I just switch a reliance transfer to my generator receptical, connect my 240 volt receptical in my truck, turn on my truck, disable auto shutdown and charge my solar batteries which power my home. A little more complicated for most, but as a 75 year old retired electrician, a piece of cake, cheaper, less complicated, & more reliable than home integration system. Then on sunny days, I use my 13 kw solar system to charge my truck with my excess solar power.
Sponsored

Quote Reply
Report •••
First Prev2 of 2

Remove formatting

BoldItalicUnderline

Text colorFont size

Insert linkInsert imageInsert videoSmiliesInsert

AlignmentListIndentOutdentInsert table

UndoRedo

DraftsToggle BB code

Write your reply...