Sponsored

Need help trying to figure out how I can use my Lightning off grid.

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro and 2012 Expedition Fleet
So I live 100% off grid. I have a good sized solar system now that has no problem charging my Lightning Pro ER. I’d like to be able to use my lightning as backup power instead of a generator if needed. I don’t have the 30a plug in the bed otherwise I’d use that. I have 2 Sol-Ark 12k inverters and I’m trying to figure out how I could integrate the pro charger into my system without dealing with all the sunrun stuff. I hope that makes sense.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
little you can do without the integrated ProPOWER 9.6kw 'second' INVERTER for 7.2kw 240v 30amp output from the bed....otherwise, you are only able to use extension cords and the 20amp 120v outlets throughout the truck: cab, frunk, and bed.

I'm sure there will be those who might attemp some type of retrofit/modification to 'add' ProPower or similar output, but that's asking a LOT on such an integrated system, with 400v battery output to the inverter(s), step down/step up capacitors and systems, and the J1772/CCS input/output inlet/outlet capability...

it's the same scenario when it comes to 'can I CHARGE the truck with a generator or solar power WHILE traveling...'... it's difficult since the truck will NOT operate with a J1772/CCS outlet activated for charging, or the charging will not happen while in GEAR, etc... there's just little way to try to 'integrate' those two things at the same time, even though it's certainly a 'good' idea, in some ways...

bluebaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
We are also off grid with 4 Solark 12k's. It was a simple job integrating our XLT with the onboard generator. I agree...without it I don't think there will be a solution that works for you for some time.

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat XR, 2008 Ridgeline, 1953 Unimog
Off-grid here as well, I use the 240V plug in the back for charging my batteries. Are you looking to run the house off the truck, or charge your house batteries off your truck?

Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Laughable. If you are on the internet, you are not off the grid.

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Off-grid here as well, I use the 240V plug in the back for charging my batteries. Are you looking to run the house off the truck, or charge your house batteries off your truck?
I’d primarily like it to charge my batteries.

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored
OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Correct. The internet is a part of the grid.
Okay I’m glad you told me. I’ve been telling people I live off grid for 2 years now. I need to repent. How can I do it? 20 lashings with an Ethernet cable?
Go touch grass. The term off grid has many meanings. It doesn’t necessarily mean you have to be a hermit and completely disconnected from the world.

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Correct. The internet is a part of the grid.
Okay I’m glad you told me. I’ve been telling people I live off grid for 2 years now. I need to repent. How can I do it? 20 lashings with an Ethernet cable?
Go touch grass. The term off grid has many meanings. It doesn’t necessarily mean you have to be a hermit and completely disconnected from the world.
I've been off grid for 20 years, but today I learned that I've been living a lie!

Are roads a part of the grid as well? I drive on public roads too, don't pave my own or anything, just drive around. How about the postal service? I have a mailbox out at the road. Supermarkets? I don't grow 100% of my own food. Please @Toby57 let us know what you consider the correct parameters for us to say we "live off-grid".

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’d primarily like it to charge my batteries.
I'm on an Outback based system so I have no idea if your setup would work the same, but I have both a gas genset (Honda 6500iu) and my truck. I have a setting that I need to toggle in my Outback software to tell the inverter which is providing power (only one can be charging the batteries at a time, they charge at different rates). The truck (for reasons related to my setup, not the truck) charges at a lower rate and so I leave it running all day sometimes. We're working with Outback to see about upping that rate off the truck, but Outback are pretty staid and they don't move fast.

My suggestion would be to just use the 110V outlet in the truck as a generator input to your inverter and consider it more of a trickle charger to augment whatever you've got working now. Like most folks have already said without the 240V bed outlet you're unlikely to do any better without major surgery to the truck. Somebody posted a picture the other day of a dual 120V to 240V pigtail thing that seemed ... dicey ... to me, but I'm not an electrician.
Sponsored