Nest/Cabin Smell

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
For a while I have not been able to figure out where this smell was coming from whilst in the truck. I had a bag of dog food in the truck while it sat at the dealership on 2 separate occasions for a total of 200 days. Something had gone through the dog food (it was under the seat - emergency dog food - small bag that I forgot to take out). Whatever animal was in the vehicle had hid small amounts of it all over the truck. After multiple thorough cleaning attempts, all dog food seems to have been removed yet the smell still remained. I decided to check the cabin filter and voila.

Hopefully with a new filter, this smell should dissipate in a few days.

Question: Where does the air come from through the cabin filter? Should I be checking elsewhere - just in case?

Ford F-150 Lightning Nest/Cabin Smell IMG_1351

Ford F-150 Lightning Nest/Cabin Smell IMG_1350

Ford F-150 Lightning Nest/Cabin Smell IMG_1352
Sponsored

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
Use a ac cleaner inside that cabin filter area to cycle the air. Commonly done in the model 3 to remove the wet damp smell that sometimes occurs.

OP
OP

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My mechanic bro-in-law told me to use this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Nest/Cabin Smell 1719430550120-4r

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The air comes in from the cowling, right above the filter.

OP
OP

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I looked everywhere and opened the plastic pieces in the frunk and couldn't find the intake. So I sprayed inside the filter housing (without the filter) followed by each vent. Truck smells like a hospital. lol. I have had it on max ac for 2 hours to make sure all residue is gone - still smell the disinfectant. Better than the animal crap.

Sponsored

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
I looked everywhere and opened the plastic pieces in the frunk and couldn't find the intake. So I sprayed inside the filter housing (without the filter) followed by each vent. Truck smells like a hospital. lol. I have had it on max ac for 2 hours to make sure all residue is gone - still smell the disinfectant. Better than the animal crap.
filter housing is the way to go. I believe the proper name is "ac EVAP cleaner" you take the long hose and shove it down the filter area so it can reach the evaporator.

heres an example product: https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-96030-Evaporator-Heater-Cleaner/dp/B0007PHD0S

I bought a cheaper equivalent at Autozone.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I second the kool-it recommendation. Used it once in my model 3 and it lasted until I traded it in.

Another thing is, unrelated to the critter issues, for general use, it's a good idea to toggle off the AC when you get close to home or your destination. That way it can normalize the coils' temperature and keep them dry as they warm up before you turn off your truck. If you don't, condensation will form and stay there, letting bacteria and mold grow.
Sponsored