First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
I had xpel done on the front bumber, leading edge of the hood, the "grill", mirrors, a-pillars and leading edge of roof. I need to double check, but it was about 2 large.
I do a fair amount of highway driving.
I wouldn't do the grill again with xpel, but maybe "regular" wrap of a color OR carbon fiber look.
It has been about 3 months now and looks great.

On the hood you see a thin line where the wrap ends.
I went by the dealer to pick up a few things that didn't come with the truck (cargo net and spare lock) and the service writer gave a snide remark about the wrap "when that yellows and starts to curl up".
Yea, thanks $^# head, that's what I want to hear from you.
This stuff has a multi-year warranty on it (10?).

I wish I'd remembered to say "yea, I'm still cleaning up the 'paint protect' wax you guys slopped on the truck, I can't believe you try to make people pay for that"

Reactions: GDN

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
So I have an agate black coming in the next few days. I don't off road... Just highway and city.

What do I do. Someone just tell me.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So I have an agate black coming in the next few days. I don't off road... Just highway and city.

Truly depends on what you want. If you are just after great shine and easy cleaning then you want to hit it with clay bar. Maybe a light polish, but maybe not needed if brand new off the rail and then a good Quartz coating. There are many, but I love Gyeon, noted up above.

Best way ever to get to know your truck, you'll spend quite a few hours with it and it will give you the best water beading/sheeting and cleaning you can hope for 3-5 years down the road. You'll need really good shade, likely a garage.

Sponsored

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Truly depends on what you want. If you are just after great shine and easy cleaning then you want to hit it with clay bar. Maybe a light polish, but maybe not needed if brand new off the rail and then a good Quartz coating. There are many, but I love Gyeon, noted up above.

Best way ever to get to know your truck, you'll spend quite a few hours with it and it will give you the best water beading/sheeting and cleaning you can hope for 3-5 years down the road. You'll need really good shade, likely a garage.
This really helps me. When you say light polish, do you mean just spray the polish and rub with a microfibre? Or polish using a clay bar?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
This really helps me. When you say light polish, do you mean just spray the polish and rub with a microfibre? Or polish using a clay bar?
Clay bar is step one - it is done with some good detailing spray/lubricant. You want to keep it wet while you work. Do this regardless. You can feel the difference immediately about how much better the paint will feel.

Second is the polish. You only need this if you have any scratches or swirls in the paint. You do not want your dealer to wash your truck and prep it for delivery. Reach out to them and ask them not to touch it. Most of them will run it through a car wash with brushes - you are already doomed at this point, if you want flawless paint. Just ask them not to prep it. It will be more work on you, but you can hand wash it to get started and

If they have run it through a car wash with brushes, you'll likely want a power DA - Dual Action buffer with a very light cut pad and some light cut polish. You might be able to do this by hand and with a MF cloth, but it will be ambitious.

Third is the coating of your choice. So many on the market, but again I like Gyeon. It will make the dark colors truly deep and shine.

Just be prepared for some good manual labor, but it will all be worth it.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes

Realize PPF and ceramic coating are 2 different things.
PPF is to protect from rock chips.
Ceramic is like an almost permanent wax job.

I did PPF because of my highway miles.

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
can I ppf the front grill and ceramic over top of that with gyeon?

Storm Breaker

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
truck driver
ppf isnt forever. usually 5-7 years max. then boom another 7k. not worth it to me
Sponsored