• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Odd OPD behavior backing up

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
My short driveway behind the garage slopes a decent bit - drops about 4' over a 30' run. Once I back out of the garage and start backing down the slope - I only have my foot on the accelerator as regen truly has me held, then about half way down the regen just turns loose and the truck rolls backwards. So you go from regen and foot on the accelerator to needing to brake unexpectedly. This is all at very slow speed, literally only moving a few feet a second.

Anyone noticed similar backing down a hill or slope?
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I might imagine that regen does not apply to reverse, but it's probably a built-in 'hill ascend' mechanism, similar to the 'hold' feature, that helps keep the truck from rolling backwards on it's own. While in gear, it would seem that it would not function that way, but who knows. I can see that in your situation going from 'accelerating' to 'braking' in an instance is not comforting. Maybe use NEUTRAL instead.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
My short driveway behind the garage slopes a decent bit - drops about 4' over a 30' run. Once I back out of the garage and start backing down the slope - I only have my foot on the accelerator as regen truly has me held, then about half way down the regen just turns loose and the truck rolls backwards. So you go from regen and foot on the accelerator to needing to brake unexpectedly. This is all at very slow speed, literally only moving a few feet a second.

Anyone noticed similar backing down a hill or slope?
Yes, though I was anticipating something like it as either @tommolog or @OutofSpecKyle mentioned a little bit of back movement behavior when stopping on the flat using OPD. Given their experience on the flat, I was cautious when using it on an incline…mine behaved as you noted.

It reminds me of how some auto-transmission cars behave on steep hills….

Last edited:

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I haven't experienced that, though I'm not sure if the grade is steep enough. If you park the truck on the hill does it want to set the parking brake? The driveway I'm parking on while out of town is steep enough to warrant the brake, but perhaps it still isn't enough?

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Thought I'd give an update here. I was cycling through the screens the other day when I came across the off road screen that shows the degrees of tilt of the truck, I thought I'd use that screen while backing out of the driveway. When the truck goes from 5 degrees tilt backwards to 6 degrees, the regen turns off and the truck free rolls backward. Just seems a bit interesting and counterintuitive, but I know that is what is happening.
Sponsored

Last edited: