Sponsored

OK Folks, Here are the issues, need advice and information from those who have had/or are in the same situation

Turbodonkey

First Name
Johnathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning, 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Retired
-Purchased '23 Lariat extended range new 10/28 Love the truck hate the experience so far.

-Issue 1 -front sensors going off repeatedly when nothing around, windshield wiper arm loose and coolant reservoir empty. Brought back to service department informally without an appointment (where I was shuttled home and picked up at the end of the day) where coolant was topped off, wiper armed tightned, and EV tech couldn't diagnose the sensor issue as it wasn't present at the time I dropped it off.

-Issue 2 -Front sensor continuing to erroneously alert. Formal appointment made. Dropped truck at service, shuttled to and from, tech couldn't diagnose as it wasn't presently doing it. As I was leaving the dealership it started doing it again so I made a video and photographed it as well, turned around and drove back in service dept. Service took back in. Shuttled to and from. Next day given a diagnostic that a sensor needed replacing. Ordered and painted and replaced at the shop a week later.

-Issue 3 -Other sensors including the same one are erroneously alerting, camera fault warnings appearing photos taken as the happened when I could. Taken to service department. Shuttled to and from. Told modules were updated, no issues present nor could be replicated. Codes reset.

-Issue 4 -Above errors continuing along with new ones. "transmission not in park" message when at red lights and the truck would not move until I shifted in and out of park. "one pedal driving not available" message displaying. "Powertrain malfunction reduced power" message, "adaptive cruise not available" and "bluecruise not available" messages occurring. These error messages were coming and going randomly. Took to service department. shuttled to and from. Picked up truck told that modules were updated and nothing could be replicated. Codes and messages were in Fordpass and on the truck and photographed by me when I could catch them.

-Issue 5 -Above errors persist. Taken a few long trips where any type of cruise was hit or miss because of errors above but now it has emergency braked twice while driving and highway speeds when cruise was activated. A wrench icon came on the dash with various errors from above for a couple days. Back to service again because it seems dangerous this time. No loaner or rental offered. Truck at dealership now for a week. I have contacted Ford and have a case with them for a buyback since the service department doesn't seem to prioritize communication or repair. I have been told that they "need more time" with it.

I have spoken with a lemon law attorney as a pre-game strategy to kind of see where I would be in case the service department cant repair timely or if Ford denies the buyback request. I was told by the attorney's office that the longer the service department has the truck the better it is for my case for lemon law complaint. If they choose to take my case any out of pocket plus buyback will be addressed only after then. In my state the lemon law applies if a new vehicle has been in service 4 times for the same problem or if the vehicle has been service for 30 days.

So now am in a waiting game. $75k for a vehicle I cannot drive for safety concerns. No offer for compensation financially or materially whatsoever. Neither Ford or the service department seem to care about any inconvenience to me whatsoever.

I fully understand that i am an early adopter of new technology and there will be hiccups with software, but there have been no updates to the truck since new and I was told by the service employee that they cannot update software on the truck unless a problem is found.

What to do? What do you think?

UPDATE 1/5 - Was told by the service manager that a Ford engineer as well as both EV techs on staff don't know what to do to repair the truck as the schematics don't match up. I have no idea what to do as the service manager said he would get with me tomorrow with more information.

UPDATE 1/6 - Received a call from service department in the morning and said that an update came over the air which should address all the problems. Said they drove the truck 5 miles post update 1/5 and would drive the truck today 1/6 for an additional 15 miles to see if any issues or codes present themselves. Called later in the afternoon and said I could pick up the truck with their confidence the update fixed it. Was told when I picked up the truck that the technician wasn't finished with the paperwork but I would be able to pick it up on Monday. Drove the truck home. Back in the garage charging currently.....going to put some miles on it this weekend fingers crossed!!!

Update 2/21- Truck in the shop since 1/22 (new service center since the previous center couldn't get anything fixed) many updates done to the truck, 12V battery replaced and several modules replaced as well as many software updates performed. Steering wheel module replaced is not able to be updated for some reason with Ford engineers working on it. No Idea when it will be fixed. Retained a Lemon Law attorney who has already filed a complaint with Ford and Ford has responded with a denial of everything (supposed to be the normal response). Lawyer said it will be a few months before any negotiations will occur or a trial date is given.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
I think you should tag @Ford Motor Company on this forum and see if they can help you out. They watch here closely and care about their customers - not sure if the dealer is not communicating with Ford effectively or not.

OP
OP

Turbodonkey

First Name
Johnathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I think you should tag @Ford Motor Company on this forum and see if they can help you out. They watch here closely and care about their customers - not sure if the dealer is not communicating with Ford effectively or not.
I don't know how to tag something. What does that mean exactly? Sorry I'm an old guy that is "tekkie" but not on social media outside of browsing reddit.

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
So now am in a waiting game. $75k for a vehicle I cannot drive
Curious what you paid for your new '23 Lariat ER before tags/taxes -- was it really $75K? If so prices really dropped since I purchased my '22 SR Lariat for $69K, and that was before the big price increases.

OP
OP

Turbodonkey

First Name
Johnathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Curious what you paid for your new '23 Lariat ER before tags/taxes -- was it really $75K? If so prices really dropped since I purchased my '22 SR Lariat for $69K, and that was before the big price increases.
Price was $79,800 - $7500 cash from Ford. After taxes and doc fees and all that BS it was roughly 75k

Sponsored

s3254

First Name
ISAAC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 FORD LIGHTNING
you don't need an attorney, start your "buy back" process with ford. I had the same problems with my 2022 Lariat and it took 45 days to buy back my truck. I loved the truck so now I have a 2023 which was cheaper than my 2022.

OP
OP

Turbodonkey

First Name
Johnathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
you don't need an attorney, start your "buy back" process with ford. I had the same problems with my 2022 Lariat and it took 45 days to buy back my truck. I loved the truck so now I have a 2023 which was cheaper than my 2022.
As mentioned in the post, I have started the buyback process with Ford, just no response from them.

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
No problem! Tagging means using the “@“ symbol and then typing a username in the Forum -I did it for you by typing @Ford Motor Company and then selecting “Ford Motor Company” from the choices.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I know that when Mach-Es started throwing a crap-ton of seemingly unrelated errors, the problem was found to be a depleted 12V battery. If your truck sat on a dealer lot for an extended period, this could be a possibility. The 12VB could even be defective. One would hope that the dealer checked this, though.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Turbodonkey

First Name
Johnathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I know that when Mach-Es started throwing a crap-ton of seemingly unrelated errors, the problem was found to be a depleted 12V battery. If your truck sat on a dealer lot for an extended period, this could be a possibility. The 12VB could even be defective. One would hope that the dealer checked this, though.
That was actually something that I brought to their attention the third time that I brought it up there and they said they checked the connections in the battery instead it was fine. I can also monitor the state of my battery at ford.com
-Purchased '23 Lariat extended range new 10/28 Love the truck hate the experience so far.

-Issue 1 -front sensors going off repeatedly when nothing around, windshield wiper arm loose and coolant reservoir empty. Brought back to service department informally without an appointment (where I was shuttled home and picked up at the end of the day) where coolant was topped off, wiper armed tightned, and EV tech couldn't diagnose the sensor issue as it wasn't present at the time I dropped it off.

-Issue 2 -Front sensor continuing to erroneously alert. Formal appointment made. Dropped truck at service, shuttled to and from, tech couldn't diagnose as it wasn't presently doing it. As I was leaving the dealership it started doing it again so I made a video and photographed it as well, turned around and drove back in service dept. Service took back in. Shuttled to and from. Next day given a diagnostic that a sensor needed replacing. Ordered and painted and replaced at the shop a week later.

-Issue 3 -Other sensors including the same one are erroneously alerting, camera fault warnings appearing photos taken as the happened when I could. Taken to service department. Shuttled to and from. Told modules were updated, no issues present nor could be replicated. Codes reset.

-Issue 4 -Above errors continuing along with new ones. "transmission not in park" message when at red lights and the truck would not move until I shifted in and out of park. "one pedal driving not available" message displaying. "Powertrain malfunction reduced power" message, "adaptive cruise not available" and "bluecruise not available" messages occurring. These error messages were coming and going randomly. Took to service department. shuttled to and from. Picked up truck told that modules were updated and nothing could be replicated. Codes and messages were in Fordpass and on the truck and photographed by me when I could catch them.

-Issue 5 -Above errors persist. Taken a few long trips where any type of cruise was hit or miss because of errors above but now it has emergency braked twice while driving and highway speeds when cruise was activated. A wrench icon came on the dash with various errors from above for a couple days. Back to service again because it seems dangerous this time. No loaner or rental offered. Truck at dealership now for a week. I have contacted Ford and have a case with them for a buyback since the service department doesn't seem to prioritize communication or repair. I have been told that they "need more time" with it.

I have spoken with a lemon law attorney as a pre-game strategy to kind of see where I would be in case the service department cant repair timely or if Ford denies the buyback request. I was told by the attorney's office that the longer the service department has the truck the better it is for my case for lemon law complaint. If they choose to take my case any out of pocket plus buyback will be addressed only after then. In my state the lemon law applies if a new vehicle has been in service 4 times for the same problem or if the vehicle has been service for 30 days.

So now am in a waiting game. $75k for a vehicle I cannot drive for safety concerns. No offer for compensation financially or materially whatsoever. Neither Ford or the service department seem to care about any inconvenience to me whatsoever.

I fully understand that i am an early adopter of new technology and there will be hiccups with software, but there have been no updates to the truck since new and I was told by the service employee that they cannot update software on the truck unless a problem is found.

What to do? What do you think?

UPDATE 1/5 - Was told by the service manager that a Ford engineer as well as both EV techs on staff don't know what to do to repair the truck as the schematics don't match up. I have no idea what to do as the service manager said he would get with me tomorrow with more information.

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
92 Explorer,94 F150,06 Avalanche,05 F250,11 F150
OP
OP

Turbodonkey

First Name
Johnathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Might not solve all your problems but there was an update literally today about the front sensor problem: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...programming-guide-using-fdrs.8249/post-359688
You might be right!>>

Received a call from service department in the morning and said that an update came over the air which should address all the problems. Said they drove the truck 5 miles post update 1/5 and would drive the truck today 1/6 for an additional 15 miles to see if any issues or codes present themselves. Called later in the afternoon and said I could pick up the truck with their confidence the update fixed it. Was told when I picked up the truck that the technician wasn't finished with the paperwork but I would be able to pick it up on Monday. Drove the truck home. Back in the garage charging currently.....going to put some miles on it this weekend fingers crossed!!!

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
The 2nd tax credit it the best part of the buy back. Happened to me in 2017 with my Pacifica Hybrid. After it sat on the dealer lot for 3 months
Sponsored