First Name
Marcelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150; Ford F-150 Lightning; Ford Explorer;
Occupation
Electrician
The outlets supply 20A of power each, NOT 30A.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've already tested these, and shown the output on another thread. Whether you believe it or not is up to you. It really doesn't matter to most, but the reality is just 'because' the outlet or cover or manual or instruction 'say' 20amp does not mean that it is the 'true' limits, or output, of the outlet. The WIRES and the INVERTER determine the amperage, not the outlet.

Of course, few people would ever know this, or use anything close to 30amps, but it IS possible, if needed. I find it very useful, but others will 'swear' that it's dangerous...
balony.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I've already tested these, and shown the output on another thread. Whether you believe it or not is up to you. It really doesn't matter to most, but the reality is just 'because' the outlet or cover or manual or instruction 'say' 20amp does not mean that it is the 'true' limits, or output, of the outlet. The WIRES and the INVERTER determine the amperage, not the outlet.

Of course, few people would ever know this, or use anything close to 30amps, but it IS possible, if needed. I find it very useful, but others will 'swear' that it's dangerous...
balony.
You are correct, Ive tested this before as well. Few people would know this, but someone not thinking could easily do it. (see form link below from last winter) Especially when chasing extension cords into a house via a door / window in very hot or cold conditions. The less extension cords the easier to close the door/window for the most part. So now you have a potentially overloaded 15a extension cord that someone is pinching thru a tight opening. Not good.

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...tage-—-pro-power-onboard-to-the-rescue.14646/

Reactions: dww

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
but no > 12a charging on 120v... even though Tesla does it with no issue. 🙄

Sorry still pissed, I know what a 20a outlet is and how to F'n use it.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
You can draw 30amps from each outlet pair but I think you can only draw 20 from any individual outlet plug.

Sponsored

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024Lightning Flash, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Self employed
Does anyone have a photo of the back of the plugs? I am wondering if ford separated the top and bottom of the duplex outlet. The outlets are rated at 20 amps. So technically if you separate the top outlet from the bottom one (a tiny removable tab on residential outlets) each one would be safe to supply 20 amps if they were wired separately.. 🤷‍♂️

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
That is what I am thinking also.
Lots of wrong assumptions on this thread. Any electricians familiar with the NEC (National Electrical Code) can tell you that a circuit (say 20A rated) does NOT have to exclusively use 20 amp rated outlets.

There is an exception in Code which permits the common 15A receptacle on 20A circuits if there are two or more sockets on the circuit. (NEC 210.21B3). The common double receptacle is two sockets. Mirroring that, there is a UL requirement that all 15A receptacles must have an internal capacity of 20A - only the socket itself is 15A.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
Well the National Electric Code allows 15 amp outlets on 20 amp circuits as stated above. So by your definition there are fire hazards all across the USA! But notice that they don't allow a single 15 amp receptacle on a 20 amp circuit.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
people who think that they are the 'electric police' get their feeling hurt because they don't truly understand electricity... always calling something 'dangerous' and 'unsafe' is simply untrue, but it does serve to make them feel better.
Sponsored