• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

portable generator charging

evdesertdjr

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 SR SLT LIGHTNING
Occupation
semiretired farmer
I think my username explains my need. I get by great for close to home use, but I would like to venture out a bit farther. In fact, my dealer, and the closest service place is kind of iffy on a cold day with a headwind. I would consider buying a generator to carry in my truck for emergency charging if I were confident that this is doable. Does anyone have experience with this? I posted the question to the generator sites and get a lot of new adds but no information. I realize this would have to be an inventor type and probably would be pricey. It would have to be level 2 to be worth it. And, where would I get the appropriate cord? Thanks
Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
Here are videos of a generator system designed to be used by mechanics for field charging stalled vehicles, I have no personal knowledge if it works, but the testing seems legit:

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
An inverter generator would be nicer, but I have an el cheapo open frame generator (Firman T07573) that charges the truck OK. The power is "dirty" I guess; the charge will not start unless another load is also connected to smooth out the waveform. But once charging I can disconnect the extra load and it stays charging. Just a data point.

I have the Tesla Universal Mobile Connector with a cheap 80 amp rated Tesla to J1772 adapter. This generator won't quite run the 14-50 adapter (32 amps = 7680 W), but seemed happy with the 14-30 adapter (24 amps = 5760 W).