• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Potential from 23'F-150 Raptor to Lightning

pdgcmg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Raptor
Realize I'm on the lightning forum but I wanted specifically to know if anyone has made this jump and if so do they regret it? Had my Raptor for about a year coming up in June. Been very pleased overall, but the Raptor for me was a 40 y/o birthday present to myself that I've wanted for years. It is a beast of a machine. I really do enjoy the interior space, the torque of the high performance engine and the joy of driving it. On the flip side, it's louder than I'd want, it is pretty thirsty, and I have an imminent fear of these high performance engines costing a lot more to fix in the long haul. Should admit its a daily driver for me so I'm putting about 18k miles a year on it. I also realize that I won't be using this thing to its full off road potential. I just don't have the time I thought I would have a year ago. Thoughts?
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The Lightning will be most of what you like about your Raptor, with none of what you don't like. Take it for a test drive, find an on-ramp and floor it. It's hard to describe how responsive it is. One Pedal Drive is also unique to the EVs and has become what I use daily.

Since the Raptor price tag doesn't scare you, look at a Lariat Extended Range or Platinum. They both will have the same Torque,HP,etc. The Platinum take a slight range dip due to weight and wheels (I assume).

If you are going to use it as your daily driver and want some extra piece of mind, pick up an extended warranty from one of the reputable dealer/online warranty sellers listed around this site.

The obvious con is you do lose the aggressive Raptor appearance. There are some aftermarket grill mods that have a Raptor resemblance.

OMO7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning
The positives are obvious.

As for the negatives you need to see if you're able to live with them. Range (Weather/HighwayDriving/Towing) is the main one. It's also a newer model, so there's no real history on reliability.

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
.......... Trophy husband
Zaptor>Raptor but I may be biased ;)

I didn't have a Raptor before, but I had a RAM 1500 Limited with every option checked including air suspension and RamBoxes. I miss some aspects of that truck (the interior was definitely higher quality leather, stitching and wood) but this Lightning is faster than your Raptor and the fuel savings are crazy; I keep wondering where the extra money in the account is from, and it's from not feeding the 11mpg HEMI :eek:

If you're not jumping the Raptor or needing the more offroad-oriented build, a Lightning ER (130 more hp than SR) will scratch the bulk of the speed itch and save you a pile of dough.

Good luck with the decision, Raptors are cool as f no doubt :)
-Zap

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
2022 RAM TRX 6.2L Supercharged -> 2022 Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L V8 w/ level -> 2023 Lightning Lariat ER

I also test drove the 2024 Raptor and 2024 F150 King Ranch Hybrid back to back last weekend as they are also options for my buyback replacement.

It sounds like you're considering these options for the same reason I let go of the TRX. I'm roughly your age too.

Anyway, unless you're a gung-ho off-roader you won't miss it. I got into the TRX strictly for speed, comfort of the rear coil over suspension, and premium sports car like aspects while getting all the practical uses of a pickup that I need. However, the LER is a blast to drive, more comfortable, and depending on your driving situation will save you some cash. It's also easier to drive, park, etc.

The only reason I'm looking at the other options are because of range, and that's only because I'm typically gone from home more than half the year and drive to different states for work (typically rural areas) where I can't charge overnight. So yes, it can be a headache for me, and sure you'll see my complaints openly peppered on the forums. Still, it drives so good that I'm still struggling with going to those other options even though it won't cost me a penny more; I can just swap it out as soon as I make my decision.

In other words, as long as you can charge at home, and don't frequently travel more than 200 miles in a day, you won't look back. Even so, many on here aren't bothered by those constraints.

Sponsored

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024Lightning Flash, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Self employed
Realize I'm on the lightning forum but I wanted specifically to know if anyone has made this jump and if so do they regret it? Had my Raptor for about a year coming up in June. Been very pleased overall, but the Raptor for me was a 40 y/o birthday present to myself that I've wanted for years. It is a beast of a machine. I really do enjoy the interior space, the torque of the high performance engine and the joy of driving it. On the flip side, it's louder than I'd want, it is pretty thirsty, and I have an imminent fear of these high performance engines costing a lot more to fix in the long haul. Should admit its a daily driver for me so I'm putting about 18k miles a year on it. I also realize that I won't be using this thing to its full off road potential. I just don't have the time I thought I would have a year ago. Thoughts?
I have owned 3 raptors, the last being a 2020. I loved everyone of them although my first one with the 5.4 was disappointing as far as power. I too had dreams of off roading but also never had the time. In December my wife purchased a Mach-e so I decided to take her lighting. It is a lariat with the extended range battery. As much as I enjoyed the raptors, I don’t miss the fuel economy, the noise (every ice vehicle in noisy after an ev) parking it, not being able to use most drive through car washes, stopping for gas frequently, towing with it, lack of payload capacity, oil changes and I wasn’t a fan of the attention it sometimes got.
We have never had any issues with range and go on road trips regularly. I tow several trailers with it also. It currently has 32,000+ miles and has been to the dealer one time for the tailgate light recall. I cannot say that for any of the raptors I have owned. As much as I liked the twin turbo v6 it was at the dealer several times for minor issues.
So for me personally, the Lightning is my favorite vehicle I have ever owned in my 40 years of driving and I have had a lot of vehicles. lol

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
The ER has more horsepower than the SR? I never really got to play with an ER but the SR has way more than enough power to get you into trouble. I have a dashcam video that I won't post because I don't want it getting back to my wife, but I surprised the hell out of one of the local hot rod guys without even trying or doing anything dangerous. Putting that truck in the hands of 20-year-old me would have been a big mistake...

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor
Had a 22Raptor / traded it in for my 23 lightning that was ordered.
The only thing I regret is the stance / appearance of the raptor.
The lightning is smoother / faster -

I put a 2” level and 34.8” tires but still the raptor wins in that look department.
Next set of tires I’ll go a little smaller.

now if I had a raptor R that would be a different story and keep the R

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
.......... Trophy husband

Sponsored

Wesley

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford raptor
Occupation
Retired
I moved from a Raptor to the Lightning. Loved my Raptor and was going to keep it when I bought the Lightning but my daughter wanted it. Now that I have a Lightning I also love it. Each vehicle has their unique "love it" points but either one would work for me. Well I actually like the Lightning just a little bit more than the Raptor but wouldn't let my daughter know!

Acottrell

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Iced Blue ER
I came from a 2019 raptor to the lightning with a short stint of a powerboost between them.

I truly do miss my raptor and have considered going back to 3rd gen raptor. The resale on the lightning is so bad however that it has stopped me from seriously looking.

- The ride on the raptor was better even with the independent rear suspension of the lightning.
- The quality of the Raptor interior to me was far better than the materials in my lariat lightning.
- The look and future resale of raptors is a strong point for sure. It would be very hard to find a vehicle with better resale at almost any mileage. That can be very nice when you decide to move on from it whenever that may be.
- I drive about 18-20k miles a year. The lightning is about 1/4 of the cost in “fuel” compared to the raptor.
- Instant torque / acceleration with very little noise is quite nice with the lightning.
- Zero maintenance costs outside of tire rotations and cabin air filters until it’s time to swap brake / coolant fluids. No oil changes, filters, transmission, or differential fluid intervals.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
The look and future resale of raptors is a strong point for sure. It would be very hard to find a vehicle with better resale at almost any mileage. That can be very nice when you decide to move on from it whenever that may be.
The only vehicles I've ever had "hold" their value have been Jeep Wranglers. Seriously, these things can be total rust buckets and people will still be asking and getting 15-20k for them.

When it comes to resell value, pay attention to how this flips when the cost of gas becomes volatile again. I don't want to get into the politics of the situation, but gas prices are currently being suppressed because we're tapping in to the strategic reserve which is not a long-term solution. Gas prices will go up, and when they do there will be another jump in the values of EVs and a drop in the values of the gas hogs.
Sponsored