• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ebanks

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, 2024 Lotus Emira FE
Inspired by a couple of other brave souls on here, I ordered the mesh style aftermarket grille and just installed it this past Saturday.

Full disclosure, I still need to do some cosmetic work where the camera and "squirter" come through the front of the grille. However, both work properly as does the open/close button. I used a big ole drill bit followed by a dremel to shape the opener for the "squirter." I got impatient and wanted to see everything work, plus it was ungodly hot outside. I'll fix up the details later.

Ford F-150 Lightning "Raptor-ish" Grille Swap Screenshot 2024-07-09 171839

Here's a link to the grille, includes the FORD letters: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806602147593.html

Here's where I got the blue LEDs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GFD91BZ?th=1

The process wasn't too bad. After painting and installing the letters on the new grille, I took off the old one following the instructions from another thread. First, take off the two L-shaped plastic trim panels on the inside of the frunk lid; these are held on by poppers. Next, take off the 6 (or 7) 10mm bolts along the bottom of the frunk lid; the grille cover will come off with a little pulling. Be sure to unplug the open/close button, squirter, and front camera before yanking too hard.

Ford F-150 Lightning "Raptor-ish" Grille Swap Screenshot 2024-07-09 172909

Next, I removed the camera/squirter mount so that I could "transfer" it to the new grille. I use the term transfer loosely because there is no mount on the new grille.
Ford F-150 Lightning "Raptor-ish" Grille Swap Screenshot 2024-07-09 172933

I used some plywood and epoxy to create a new base for the camera/squirter mount. I then used the mount to drill out holes for the camera and squirter.
Ford F-150 Lightning "Raptor-ish" Grille Swap Screenshot 2024-07-09 173451

Ford F-150 Lightning "Raptor-ish" Grille Swap Screenshot 2024-07-09 173712

I had to use a little foam square to help the camera protrude sufficiently.
Ford F-150 Lightning "Raptor-ish" Grille Swap Screenshot 2024-07-09 173813

Again, the camera and squirter work and I'm pleased with the overall appearance. But I do need to touch up the little details around the openings. That'll be a job for a cooler day.

Ford F-150 Lightning "Raptor-ish" Grille Swap Screenshot 2024-07-09 173956
Sponsored

SpacemanSpiff

First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I dig it. Those blue LEDs were a good call. This might be my favorite grille mod.

OP
OP
ebanks

ebanks

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nice job!

They really should start offering these with the camera area already there.
Agreed! That’s the worst part of it.

YellowGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I really like the blue LEDs. They look sharp. I have no idea what your your local laws are, but you might want to verify blue external lights aren't verboten. I think the police have a monopoly on blue and a decently bored one might want to hassle you about it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ebanks

ebanks

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I really like the blue LEDs. They look sharp. I have no idea what your your local laws are, but you might want to verify blue external lights aren't verboten. I think the police have a monopoly on blue and a decently bored one might want to hassle you about it.
Damn. I think they are illegal in NC. Thanks for the tip.

YellowGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Damn. I think they are illegal in NC. Thanks for the tip.
No problem. Sorry to sour such a clean look. You could possibly get away with swapping them for less blue "white" ones and avoid most of the scrutiny. Or get ones that change color and just show off the blue at cars and coffee. :)

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Looks really nice. I live by a lake and cleaning the bugs off of it looks like a nightmare with all of the hexagon nooks. Looks good though.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Inspired by a couple of other brave souls on here, I ordered the mesh style aftermarket grille and just installed it this past Saturday.

Full disclosure, I still need to do some cosmetic work where the camera and "squirter" come through the front of the grille. However, both work properly as does the open/close button. I used a big ole drill bit followed by a dremel to shape the opener for the "squirter." I got impatient and wanted to see everything work, plus it was ungodly hot outside. I'll fix up the details later.

Screenshot 2024-07-09 171839.png

Here's a link to the grille, includes the FORD letters: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806602147593.html

Here's where I got the blue LEDs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GFD91BZ?th=1

The process wasn't too bad. After painting and installing the letters on the new grille, I took off the old one following the instructions from another thread. First, take off the two L-shaped plastic trim panels on the inside of the frunk lid; these are held on by poppers. Next, take off the 6 (or 7) 10mm bolts along the bottom of the frunk lid; the grille cover will come off with a little pulling. Be sure to unplug the open/close button, squirter, and front camera before yanking too hard.

Screenshot 2024-07-09 172909.png

Next, I removed the camera/squirter mount so that I could "transfer" it to the new grille. I use the term transfer loosely because there is no mount on the new grille.
Screenshot 2024-07-09 172933.png

I used some plywood and epoxy to create a new base for the camera/squirter mount. I then used the mount to drill out holes for the camera and squirter.
Screenshot 2024-07-09 173451.png

Screenshot 2024-07-09 173712.png

I had to use a little foam square to help the camera protrude sufficiently.
Screenshot 2024-07-09 173813.png

Again, the camera and squirter work and I'm pleased with the overall appearance. But I do need to touch up the little details around the openings. That'll be a job for a cooler day.

Screenshot 2024-07-09 173956.png
Awesome update! Looks amazing, thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

YellowGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update. Switched out from blue to white LEDs. (Got them at the same Amazon site as before.) I think I might like them better. Will post an after dark photo later.
Not bad. I liked the blue, but the white looks pretty good too. Definitely more unique than yellow. I think the white might actually be better than blue with your grey truck (at first I thought it was antimatter blue). Looking forward to the night pics.

Cristian88

First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
So us Pro folks are unable to do this unless we get the light bar installed first? Really don't care for the light bar at all. Would be nice if we could install this grille regardless, but it would leave an unsightly gap it seems.