• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Road tripping from Los Angeles area to Roswell NM via the I40 question.

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning SR Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
Hello fellow Lightning drivers,
I was thinking of doing a trip to Roswell NM. next weekend and wanted to know if anyone has done that trip and how did it go, concerning the charging.
Im driving a SR Lightning without a NACS adapter as of yet. The furthest i've driven my truck was to Phoenix AZ. I don't want to go the southern route, boring, and I know there is probably not many of you going to Roswell specifically, but just incase any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
What does ABRP say?

RTanton

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Platinum
Hello fellow Lightning drivers,
I was thinking of doing a trip to Roswell NM. next weekend and wanted to know if anyone has done that trip and how did it go, concerning the charging.
Im driving a SR Lightning without a NACS adapter as of yet. The furthest i've driven my truck was to Phoenix AZ. I don't want to go the southern route, boring, and I know there is probably not many of you going to Roswell specifically, but just incase any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.
We drive most of this route at least twice a year on our eway to Santa Fe, and made our first Lightning trip last year. Follow ABRP route, we had no problem but at one stop. The EA at Smith's grocery(Kingman, AZ) was a three hour delay! Two stalls were occupied by tourists who had rented Bolts then wandered off to have a meal and grocery shop. There was a long line waiting getting to a charger and chargers were running at less than full output. If you are planning a trip soon tourism to the Grand Canyon make make charging more difficult. We can give you our experiences at other chargers if you want more detail.

Last edited:

deserthi

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Tech
Hello, If it would help, I have a one week old, never used A2Z charging adapter that I could send you if your interested. My Ford adapter is in the mail so I don't need two.

Howard S

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
Here is my take: I do the LA to ABQ every few months. I have a SR Lightning and a Rivian. Its alway best to have a backup plan and when available charge back up to 80% or more when available. Do invest in a tesla to J1772 adapter so when you stop overnight pick a hotel with a Tesla destination charger and jamb those electrons in tight for the morning drive. Most likely all you will encounter are EA chargers and you pray that more than 50% are operational. Also keep refreshing the EA app as you plan your next stop.

Ford F-150 Lightning Road tripping from Los Angeles area to Roswell NM via the I40 question. IMG_8839

Sponsored

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
Here is my take: I do the LA to ABQ every few months. I have a SR Lightning and a Rivian. Its alway best to have a backup plan and when available charge back up to 80% or more when available. Do invest in a tesla to J1772 adapter so when you stop overnight pick a hotel with a Tesla destination charger and jamb those electrons in tight for the morning drive. Most likely all you will encounter are EA chargers and you pray that more than 50% are operational. Also keep refreshing the EA app as you plan your next stop.

IMG_8839.jpeg
how often are those EA chargers in AZ crowded? Heading out to vegas in a few weeks from austin and a little nervous about running into a long wait in that area. have my nacs adapter already, but doesn't do me any good for a large portion of the drive.

Howard S

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
how often are those EA chargers in AZ crowded? Heading out to vegas in a few weeks from austin and a little nervous about running into a long wait in that area. have my nacs adapter already, but doesn't do me any good for a large portion of the drive.
Using my Rivian map planner it shows Albuquerque, Milan and Socorro New Mexico as the only central NM Tesla Supercharges open to Ford or Rivian adapters. Kingman in West Az is the only one along I40 in AZ. Otherwise about the only charging in NM is mostly EA stations. Tucumcari, Santa Rosa, Abq., Grants and Gallop heading west on I40. AZ you will have more chargers but also more travelers. Looking just now showed 1 to 4 chargers open at each station.

OP
OP
Effonefiddy Lightning

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Hello, If it would help, I have a one week old, never used A2Z charging adapter that I could send you if your interested. My Ford adapter is in the mail so I don't need two.
Thanks but I'm waiting for mine also.

OP
OP
Effonefiddy Lightning

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
What does ABRP say?
I put my destination in the ABRP and it looked fine except for Roswell. It doesn't show a charger there. Today I did a little searching and found a Chargepoint charger location there. Knowing the terrain from here to there I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't run into any issues. I've driven there many times in gas powered cars so I'm aware of stretches of nothingness for miles. Also there were stops where I would be arriving with 10%. Kind of unnerving, but I think I'm going to go for it.

OP
OP
Effonefiddy Lightning

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

IMG_8839.jpeg
Thanks(y)

OP
OP
Effonefiddy Lightning

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
We drive most of this route at least twice a year on our eway to Santa Fe, and made our first Lightning trip last year. Follow ABRP route, we had no problem but at one stop. The EA at Smith's grocery(Kingman, AZ) was a three hour delay! Two stalls were occupied by tourists who had rented Bolts then wandered off to have a meal and grocery shop. There was a long line waiting getting to a charger and chargers were running at less than full output. If you are planning a trip soon tourism to the Grand Canyon make make charging more difficult. We can give you our experiences at other chargers if you want more detail.
Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored