• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Road-tripping with the Tesla NACS adapter

EVmeritus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla X, 2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
EV Activist
I was really excited when Tesla and Ford announced that Ford EVs would soon be eligible to use Tesla Superchargers. At the end of February it became a reality when I was able to order my adapter from Ford.

I had previously owned a Tesla X and frequently roadtripped on Tesla’s reliable Supercharger network. However after receiving my F-150 Lightning in September 2022 I experienced several failed attempts to charge at Electrify America DC fast chargers and decided that roadtripping in the Lightning was not worth the potential frustration. (Sandy Munro’s wife had come to a similar conclusion about roadtripping in any EV other than a Tesla)

So this week was my first roadtrip in my Lightning. I was planning to use only Tesla Superchargers on my trip from Carlsbad, CA to San Luis Obispo, CA.

I’m a retired engineer, so I do like to plan ahead. I started looking at various EV charging websites and apps. No surprise that Tesla’s website was up to date with information on which V3 Superchargers would accept the NACS adapter now open to Ford and Rivian. At that point it looked pretty straight forward with an abundance of V3s available on my planned route.

Ford F-150 Lightning Road-tripping with the Tesla NACS adapter 1714248140117-ar

Additionally I had done a couple of tests locally to verify that my adapter in fact worked and that I could make a connection with the short Tesla V3 cable. Of course this required that I park in the adjacent parking stall to make the connection to the Lightning’s driver side front charge-port, effectively taking up two charging stalls. For my tests I had purposely gone to local Tesla Superchargers that tended to have the most chargers available, thus avoiding any potential confrontations by taking up two stalls to charge.

Then it hit me… I needed to know the activity level at Tesla Superchargers that I was planning to use on my trip. But where could I find this information? It turned out it was available in the Tesla app on my iPhone!

Ford F-150 Lightning Road-tripping with the Tesla NACS adapter 1714247106588-yk

As I looked at all the NACS compatible Superchargers along my planned route (coastal Southern California), I realized that there was an issue. It is visible on the “Busy Times & Price Per kWh” graph for each Tesla Supercharger location. And what it too often showed was that during prime time (Typically 11am-8pm) it indicated “Most Chargers In Use”. Meaning there might be a queue and getting two adjacent spots would be difficult and not endear me to some Tesla owners!

My immediate solution was to find Tesla Superchargers on the Tesla App that had “Some Chargers Available” or “Most Changers Available” labels for my planned travel time. In my case the Santa Monica Supercharger with 62 stalls and the Santa Maria Supercharger with 20 stall made the Sunday trip doable. My return trip was on a weekday and I charged at a Supercharger in Ventura CA which typically shows “Some Chargers Available” on weekdays, but showed "Most Chargers In Use" on the weekend. This would also be more of a midway point on my trip back to Carlsbad, CA and resulted in only having to make a single stop for charging on my return trip.

So I had just done a successful round trip in my F-150 Lightning, using only Tesla Superchargers. I felt good, but also realized that there are weaknesses with the Tesla charging system as it currently is.

Here are some potential solutions to the issues I mentioned as I see them:
  • If possible avoid making your road-trips during prime times
    • Not on weekends
    • And if on the weekends not during the 11am-8pm window
  • Use the Tesla app to plan ahead to avoid high volume Superchargers with potential queues.
  • Look for charging stations that are larger (20+ stalls) and not right off the freeway but more likely in a high density residential area. They tend to have the most available chargers.
  • Tesla needs to address the connection issue so that all EVs using their network only need to occupy one parking stall. Options might include:
    • Locating the charger at the side of the stall rather than the all too typical, back of the stall requiring Teslas to back in to charge and other EVs to take up two stalls.
    • Provide extension cables for the Ford, Rivian and other EVs that have a charge ports that do not work with the current Tesla stall design
    • When developing new locations or upgrading existing locations, add pull thru stalls that could additionally accommodate all EV types as well as EVs pulling trailers (ie: Mammoth Lakes, CA)
Also, summer is coming. More vehicles will have NACS adapters by then, so solutions are needed now before the fossil fuel industry has another reason to exploit about why EVs are not practical, as part of their continuous FUD campaign.
Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Does anyone know when we can buy our own extension cable? Needing to find two spaces side-buy-side that are free is too risky for me; I'd rather just buy an extension and leave it in the truck.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Not to be a jerk, but we have every right to use the Tesla network now it is not our fault if it is not as easy for us due to the size of our vehicles and where the charge port is located and the length of the cable as you mentioned. Perhaps the Tesla owners would accommodate us by leaving at least one on the far right open so that we don’t block another charger. I do not have my adapter yet, but I have used a couple with the magic dock fortunately they were not busy so it was not a big issue for me yet.

rv7pilot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Process Control Engineer
Not to be a jerk, but we have every right to use the Tesla network now it is not our fault if it is not as easy for us due to the size of our vehicles and where the charge port is located and the length of the cable as you mentioned. Perhaps the Tesla owners would accommodate us by leaving at least one on the far right open so that we don’t block another charger. I do not have my adapter yet, but I have used a couple with the magic dock fortunately they were not busy so it was not a big issue for me yet.
agreed! They never do though. I think it’s just education. They’ll learn.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
If possible avoid making your road-trips during prime times
  • Not on weekends
  • And if on the weekends not during the 11am-8pm window
So, were only supposed to charge in the dark of night, on weekdays, and only when vampires and werewolves are out?

Yeah, that's not going to happen. I just got back from a 1750 mile trip in our Mach-E. There are a lot of chargers out there that are designed for use with trailers and extra spaces to the right of the farthest charger. It will all work out.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
We've seen no less than THREE dual-charger BRAND NEW locations within our area, and within 50 miles along our normal 'routes'... and seeing more to come... I know it's slow in coming, but businesses are finally seeing the light and green-lighting the move to DC Fast Chargers...

it's a wonderful time - just think of the 'stories' we'll tell our great grandchildren : )

OP
OP
EVmeritus

EVmeritus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla X, 2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
EV Activist
So, were only supposed to charge in the dark of night, on weekdays, and only when vampires and werewolves are out?

Yeah, that's not going to happen. I just got back from a 1750 mile trip in our Mach-E. There are a lot of chargers out there that are designed for use with trailers and extra spaces to the right of the farthest charger. It will all work out.
I agree, that is not a good option. My frame of reference was coastal Southern California. Which happens to be a dense market for Tesla Superchargers because of the number of Teslas on the roads here. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, I'm reporting on the reality that I found.
Sponsored