• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Safety Issue Pro Power?

OP
OP

leonbell

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning Lariat 2023
So, if I understand properly:
1) I need a more knowledgeable electrician.
2) I should be certain they place a physical ground
3) They need to install some type of neutral transfer switch

And then perhaps system will work?
All we are currently powering are a few LED lights and one lightweight roll up garage door.

The truck is connected to an input at the end of the dock at shore with boathouse about 50 feet further away.
Sponsored

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
The electrical code quotors that go on and on for pages are making it way too confusing for you and vastly overthinking this.

This is very simple. The hot, neutral, and ground that is currently coming from the house needs to be disconnected from the house entirely and connected entirely to the truck. The end. You don't need a transfer switch or any of that BS. Hots, neutral, and ground to the truck, period, end.

Since the panel at your boathouse is already a sub panel, it already does not have a ground-neutral bond in that subpanel. That bond is at the panel in your main house. With the main house disconnected entirely, and the sub panel entirely connected to the truck, that ground-neutral bond is at the truck's inverter, where it belongs in this circumstance anyway.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
no one here can give you exact advice on what you should do for your own specific and unique situation, as nobody here has their 'feet on the ground'(pun intended) to see, and know, exactly what your current electrical situation is... that's for you and your electrician to decide.

Anyone here is just offering anecdotal and common sense reactions and thoughts, but there's no one here that can offer you specific guidance.

EVERY electrical situation is different. Every one.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
*should not have the N-G bond. A competent electrician will verify.
Valid.

I also still think there's going to be a problem once it is wired up correctly and safely. If there is current flowing from some equipment or device, through wet surfaces, through his feet, across his human body, into the frame of the truck, I don't see how the truck's GFCI is not going to immediately trip as soon as this thing is plugged in the right way. That stray current will instead be flowing back on the grounding conductor through the GFCI protection and correctly trip instantly. Now that I think about it, I'm kind of surprised it didn't trip when you touched the truck. 🤔

So please add to your bullet point list, have competent electrician figure out where current is leaking so people don't die 👍
Sponsored